U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,244,379 times

Advertisements

You get much better service at the smaller CCs. I started at Palo Alto, but had to switch to San Antonio College because I enrolled in the middle of the semester and San Antonio College was the only school left with open courses I wanted. I had to switch for financial aid reasons (I have to take most of my courses at my home school), but I can still take courses at any of the Alamo Community Colleges. The customer service at San Antonio College is horrible. The school is too crowded and they don't have enough staff. You have to stand in line for hours or call, literally, dozens of times just to get through if you ever get through. When you finally get to talk to someone, they either don't know what they're talking about or they say they can't do anything. It was so much easier getting things done at Palo Alto; the only drawback was that I live only 10 min. away from SAC and almost 30 min. away from PAC. Now that they're centralizing everything, some services are slow no matter where you go. I had to wait 6 months for my transcripts to be evaluated and they were only evaluated because I kept on complaining. If you want a transcript sent out, be prepared to wait months for that too until you gripe their ears off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 PM

11,144 posts, read 20,338,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
In Texas, dorms are not available on the CC level but in other states, yes.
List of community colleges with campus housing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I mentioned above to Hedgehog_mom, there are CC's with housing. List of community colleges with campus housing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Perhaps the OP is coming from somewhere in the US where this is a common sight.
Also, the OP may be looking at a specific program that is only offered at St. Philip's. I graduated from there and lived on the Westside and commuted because I liked the small environment. I found St. Philip's College counselors and advisors to be much more helpful than other campuses during my college attendance. I had a few friends who were attending SAC but transferred to SPC because they felt they could be much more successful in a smaller community college environment.
OP didn't say how old he (or she) is, but mentioned coming here soon to tour the school...something people usually do in their senior year of high school, so I'm assuming he (or she) is young and might not realize it's unrealistic to imagine living here for $300 a month. If that's all one can afford to live on, it would be better to go to a traditional university where housing could be covered with a student loan, or live at home with the parents and go to a community college for the first couple of years.

I think St. Phillips is a good school...my mother teaches there, so I do have a biased opinion in this case ...but I just hadn't heard of it drawing in students from around the country.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,449,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think St. Phillips is a good school...my mother teaches there, so I do have a biased opinion in this case ...but I just hadn't heard of it drawing in students from around the country.
I might have had your mom as a instructor.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 PM

It is possible to rent for $300 a month with a roommate. There are plenty of 2 bedrooms for $600 a month, but they aren't going to be the best places.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,353,077 times
I have a question for all who think the Eastside is bad. Do you frequent the area or are you're opinions based on what you think / assume......what you hear on the radio / tv.....what you read in the Express News?????

For many years I have had to go to the Eastside and Westside at all hours of the day and night. Never once have I had any problems and trust me when I say some of these Folks are PISSED when I arrive. I am no where bullet proof or wear a giant S on my Shirt. My point is that these parts of town are NO different than any others. Parts of the NE, NW, S, SE, and SW aren't any better. This is based on what I see in those areas. I have never witnessed any crime although it exists all over town. We have to remember that a majority of major crimes (which make an area sound bad) happen during the early morning hours when anybody worth anything and not looking for trouble should be home. At those hours you're either looking for trouble or you're causing it.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 AM

299 posts, read 537,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
It's very unfortunate that when you say Eastside Folks automatically think of the large African American Population, Poverty, and Crime. So it's easy for Folks to say the Eastside is BAD. What most don't know is that there is both a large White and Mexican (Established) Population.
well, isn't that true though?

I wouldn't live on the East side.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 PM

10,996 posts, read 11,444,255 times
If you are a person scared of blacks and Hispanics-DON'T GO THERE! If on the other hand, you are cool with blacks and hispanics, you are reasonably safe as the eastside is not particularly violent. Drugs? Yes. Theft? Yes. But as I recall, it was Palo Alto College, in the Southside, who has had 2 rapes in the last few years, both in the restrooms. Whereas, St. Phillips College has no incidents reported. If you go to San Antonio College, you are putting your car at risk for vandalism, as this was in the news that there was a lot of vandalism going on the last few months. Also, there were reports of "suspicious persons".

Old 06-22-2011, 10:24 PM

You can't forget the robberies and sexual assaults at San Antonio College. I don't know about Northwest Vista, but between SAC and SPC, the dangers are pretty much the same on campus. The statistics aren't up yet for this school year, but I can assure you that you can face danger at any of these campuses. The likelihood that you'll be a victim out of the thousands of students attending is small though. Did anyone take a look at the map I posted? What do you think about the SAC area and SPC area being shaded the same color as far as crime rates?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:07 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,184,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
If you are a person scared of blacks and Hispanics-DON'T GO THERE! If on the other hand, you are cool with blacks and hispanics, you are reasonably safe as the eastside is not particularly violent. Drugs? Yes. Theft? Yes. But as I recall, it was Palo Alto College, in the Southside, who has had 2 rapes in the last few years, both in the restrooms. Whereas, St. Phillips College has no incidents reported. If you go to San Antonio College, you are putting your car at risk for vandalism, as this was in the news that there was a lot of vandalism going on the last few months. Also, there were reports of "suspicious persons".
LOL wut???

its not being scared of those races that bothers people, its the higher-than-average crime rate that is dominant on the east/west sides that bothers people.

when i was looking at moving here back in 03 from austin, the wife showed me those sides of town. both looked like run-down landfills. horrible chain link fences that were leaning, broken, had huge gaps in them. tons of questionable peoples wandering around aimlessly. tons of single mothers with 5+ kids following them around.

things you probably dont want to be around.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,583,255 times
I am not scared of any ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc. I just choose not to hang around sides of town where crime is somewhat higher than other sides of town. Think of it this way. If the Northside was high in crime then all us white folks would be on the Eastside, Southside, Westside. Nothing to do with ethnicity, everything to do with feeling safe and secure in your surroundings. Safety is one of man's basic needs btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio