Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 PM

7 posts, read 27,484 times

Advertisements

So I'm really looking to move to San Antonio next year. I'm touring a school, St. Phillip's College on the east side, in September. I'm from Wisconsin..and I've been hearing St. Phillips is a good school..Is that true? What about the east side? Is it really that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazares View Post
What about the east side? Is it really that bad?
Yes.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
St. Philips is a community college. It's a "traditionally Black" institution in the largely African-American part of San Antonio. AFAIK, it doesn't offer 4-year degrees. Someone I know who works in the group of colleges that includes St. Philips tells me that they "do things a little bit differently" there, for what that's worth. It's also "fiercely independent" in some ways.

An administrator at the school was recently in the news for handling her email a little bit differently. If you're going there to study Radiography, this will be significant.

Bawdy emails cost administrator her job - San Antonio Express-News

You don't have to live near St. Philip's to go there. There is no on-campus housing, so you could live wherever you choose.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
St. Philips is a community college. It's a "traditionally Black" institution in the largely African-American part of San Antonio. AFAIK, it doesn't offer 4-year degrees. Someone I know who works in the group of colleges that includes St. Philips tells me that they "do things a little bit differently" there, for what that's worth. It's also "fiercely independent" in some ways.

An administrator at the school was recently in the news for handling her email a little bit differently...

Bawdy emails cost administrator her job - San Antonio Express-News

You don't have to live near St. Philip's to go there. There is no on-campus housing, so you could live wherever you choose.
I think Converse Texas is nearby. I know quite a few people that go there and love it! Same as Palo Alto. The area is different but there are good places close by.

As for the email there have been professors/teachers caught doing things that are not proper in many areas. I do not belive it is only St. Phillips.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 PM

58 posts, read 127,110 times
yes. was testing for toyata job and car got broken into.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:05 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,640 times
It's very unfortunate that when you say Eastside Folks automatically think of the large African American Population, Poverty, and Crime. So it's easy for Folks to say the Eastside is BAD. What most don't know is that there is both a large White and Mexican (Established) Population.

Last edited by wellguy; 06-19-2011 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Out

Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
It's very unfortunate that when you say Eastside Folks automatically think of the large African American Population, Poverty, and Crime. So it's easy for Folks to say the Eastside is BAD. What most don't know is that there is both a large White and Mexican (Established) Population.
The Eastside of San Antonio has changed since I lived there(born and raised),...seems now mostly Hispanic/Mexican,...I wouldn't hesitate going back,...you can reside anywhere in S.A. to go to St. Phillips.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 PM

502 posts, read 934,366 times
The school is great, however it's best to avoid living in the area. Why? The locals can smell fresh meat. Forget skin color trash comes in all shapes,color, and sizes. And crime is everywhere! I live in one of the most prominate neighborhoods in San Antonio and right now we are dealing with a ton of break ins! Take day classes I suggest to not be caught around there at night. This is advise coming from someone that was raised in the hood. So I'm not stereotyping like most people do when they hear about certain parts of town. And good luck!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
St. Philip's College is not any worse than San Antonio College. During the past school year at San Antonio College, there have been several robberies, assaults, and sexual assaults. I get an email every time something happens.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:33 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
St. Philip's College is not any worse than San Antonio College. During the past school year at San Antonio College, there have been several robberies, assaults, and sexual assaults. I get an email every time something happens.
No, no no. *SMH*

The surrounding area of San Antonio College is much much more safer than the area around St. Phillips. The population sizes for the two school campuses aren't even the same either, so it's not fair to compare crime on both campuses. If you had a campus as large as SAC at St Phillips, you then would have a lot more stuff going on at St. Phillips...probably much more than you can imagine too!

You can ask anyone if they would rather live near SAC or St. Phillips and I'm positive more than 95% will say SAC area...because it's nowhere near as bad as the Eastside. That's simply fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio