U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,819,739 times
Default Three San Antonio schools make top 500 list again!

Newsweek magazine...

NISD Communications Arts #80
100% graduation rate with 80 % college bound

NISD Health Careers #142
100% graduation rate with 98% college bound

NEISD Reagan #228
98% graduation rate with 100 college bound

Congratulations to all three schools and thanks for making us proud!!!!!

Last edited by Bo; 06-22-2011 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Health Careers is a NISD school... FTFY
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 AM

4,774 posts, read 3,790,352 times
I'm trying to search for the link to what you're talking about.

Here we go.

http://www.newsweek.com/feature/2011...h-schools.html

No Alamo Heights?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 AM

1,069 posts, read 849,532 times
Had a co-worker whose son went to Comm Arts and the curriculum is extremely tough there. Apparently, majority of the students there are the ones who really enjoy school and the learning environment. Some kids do have to switch over to Taft, or the newly built Brennan, though because of the rigorous workload. Umm.....welcome to the real world students. In all seriousness those schools are designed to produce top-notch students who will be entering colleges and someday the workforce. Good for them

Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Had a co-worker whose son went to Comm Arts and the curriculum is extremely tough there. Apparently, majority of the students there are the ones who really enjoy school and the learning environment. Some kids do have to switch over to Taft, or the newly built Brennan, though because of the rigorous workload. Umm.....welcome to the real world students. In all seriousness those schools are designed to produce top-notch students who will be entering colleges and someday the workforce. Good for them
My kid was class of 2008...

I think it's got a lot to do with the way they teach and the size of the campus.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 AM

702 posts, read 700,214 times
Quote:
Had a co-worker whose son went to Comm Arts and the curriculum is extremely tough there.
Then you will have to move out of SA to find a decent job in Comm Arts.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:44 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,829,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Then you will have to move out of SA to find a decent job in Comm Arts.
Maybe so, but at least they have the foundation to go forward right here in SA.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 AM

702 posts, read 700,214 times
And one of the best colleges you can go to in Texas for Comm Arts is just up I-35 – Texas State. Other schools with excellent programs are University of North Texas, SMU, and TCU in Texas.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:12 AM

Three of those are in the DFW area which is kinda ehhh in my opinion. Not knocking the schools, just the location. Too big. I am biased though b/c I graduated from Southwest Texas State in 2003. I got one of the last diplomas with that name on it so I still refer to it as such. That college's population has exploded in recent years. Plus, San Marcos is a cool college town and close to Austin and SA if you are form here. Back to Comm Arts, Camper would you agree the curriculum was challenging compared to let us say a "standard" curriculum? And let me guess, your child's class was realtively small and the teachers were enthusiastic? I already know this upcoming school year I will be teaching 30+ fifth graders. Class sizes do make a difference. Ask any teacher and they'll tell ya'.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Three of those are in the DFW area which is kinda ehhh in my opinion. Not knocking the schools, just the location. Too big. I am biased though b/c I graduated from Southwest Texas State in 2003. I got one of the last diplomas with that name on it so I still refer to it as such. That college's population has exploded in recent years. Plus, San Marcos is a cool college town and close to Austin and SA if you are form here. Back to Comm Arts, Camper would you agree the curriculum was challenging compared to let us say a "standard" curriculum? And let me guess, your child's class was realtively small and the teachers were enthusiastic? I already know this upcoming school year I will be teaching 30+ fifth graders. Class sizes do make a difference. Ask any teacher and they'll tell ya'.

The curriculum is all honors. AP and duel credit classes and strongly advised. The classes were small and and yes the teachers were great. They were happy teachers which makes for a better teacher. Wouldn't you agree.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 AM

That is what I thought. AP classes and the kids are there to better themselves and get ahead in life. I also bet majority of those kids come from homes where parents are actively involved in their child's learning. I totally agree!!! I love what I do and bring my energy into my room everyday and so do all the teachers on my team. However, I am not going to say every teacher at my campus shares our enthusiasm. Some teach b/c it is a job. I teach b/c I love working with kids and want them to grow up and be something out there. And yes it shows and the kids see it when you are there just doing your "job." I am glad schools like Comm Arts exist. They were not really around when I was in HS which really was not that long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio