U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,288,232 times

Advertisements

It drives me crazy too and kills me to have to drive past them instead of taking them home. I'd be in big trouble if I did that because there's so many everywhere in this city. Tagging and all the strays are two of the biggest indicators of just how ghetto this city is. That's what being so accepting of failure gets you, though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:31 PM

3,929 posts, read 4,684,575 times
I knew this would happen. With the economy the way it is, and practically nothing to change the attitude a lot of people have towards pets...well, it is the way it is right now. People in some areas end up with dumped pets in their neighborhood and no organization will take them. I took some in under those circumstances, but most wouldn't...and I really understand why.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 PM

905 posts, read 1,354,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
It drives me crazy too and kills me to have to drive past them instead of taking them home. I'd be in big trouble if I did that because there's so many everywhere in this city. Tagging and all the strays are two of the biggest indicators of just how ghetto this city is. That's what being so accepting of failure gets you, though..

Many thanks to our city council as well who passed ordinance where cats are free to roam and fend for themselves! City of San Antonio Animal control does not take in stray cats! Our city council claims they are free to roam around!!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:21 PM

522 posts, read 989,815 times
i saw a bit of fluffy news on one of the news sites about acs dispersing (and ticketing) some roadside backyard breeders selling puppies (in triple digit weather, no less). i feel that if even half the animal laws currently active in this city were enforced, than this problem wouldn't be nearly as bad. leash laws, animal limits, intact dog permits, litter permits, etc. you can't get 'em all, but there's more than ample people out there who can be easily busted by acs, if one cared enough/had the resources to deal with it.

edit: should also address the topic at hand. as mentioned in previous threads of this nature, "no-kill" means more than just a shelter and whether or not you put down stray animals. it includes healing the source of the symptoms. it's education, it's getting people to think differently about how pets are viewed and treated. it's a big bummer they weren't able to be more aggressive with this campaign. i also think the economic downturn (in junction with the deep seeded prevalent attitude towards this issue) did a lot to stymie the momentum. i haven't been here long, but when i first arrived, i recall campaigns like ownupsa on billboards and commercials, trying to create awareness to problem (along with offering help, solutions and alternatives). but with no money and no interest, sa will probably backslide into it's good ol ways of not giving a ****.

Last edited by GlorifiedMalcontent; 06-23-2011 at 04:39 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 04:30 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,288,232 times
That is very true. It is Very hard to resist pulling over and yelling at those "breeders" and the idiots that stop to look at the poor dogs. They'd all be taken out on the spot in my world..

Old 07-04-2011, 07:02 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,273,650 times
Last month I was looking thru the pets section of Craigslist and kept running across postings from ACS at Brooks. Eeeesh....they post videos of animals with the kill dates! Very heartbreaking. The whole no kill thing was very ambitious to begin with, but I feel like the city wasnt as aggressive as they needed to be esp with enforcing the registration/in tact policy that they established.

I did end up getting a dog off of CL that was chained up to a tree, in the dirt. The kids I got him from were just that, kids. With no real concept on how to care for a living, breathing creature.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:28 PM

3,929 posts, read 4,684,575 times
Sounds like a neighbor of mine. Two dogs in the front yard, chained up, in the dirt. Poor things must be miserable, especially in this weather!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,173,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
Hope for no-kill shelter in 2012 dies - San Antonio Express-News

when san antonians refuse to have taxes raised to cover the cost, its no wonder this happened. personally, i knew it would never happen due to no one wanting taxes raised.

personally, id pay a little extra if i knew it was going to a no-kill plan (yes i donate time and money to shelters already).
You are such a hateful person. You must be a kill-shelter-o-phobe.

Seriously, I agree with you. As long as people out there continue to buy puppies ignorantly and then let them have puppies without even thinking...well, a good start is with educating those that do not understand the actual issue is...THEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or