U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:02 AM

26 posts, read 23,628 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place to board a cat for two weeks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:19 AM

584 posts, read 1,010,244 times
Do you have a friend that can watch your cat? Just curious. I have six cats and I normally try to find a friend that has a college kid or since it is summer a HS senior that can stay at my house for a little bit of money. Taking my cats out of their normal surroundings just stresses them out. You can search for people online using www.care.com. You can do area code searches and may be able to find someone in your area that will just come by your house if your cat is OK to be alone. Not sure just options. I always feel bad for cats because they are just in small cages when boarded.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 AM

431 posts, read 645,083 times
take him to a baseball game

Old 06-23-2011, 08:35 AM

26 posts, read 23,628 times
I agree. Last time we left him at vet and it definitely affected him. He wouldn't leave us alone for months!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 AM

418 posts, read 690,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelimeusa View Post
It has been my experience, having been owned by cats before, that they tend to do much better if you can leave them in familiar surroundings and have someone check on them once a day or every couple of days.

That way, at least they are still in familiar surroundings even though the visitors may be strange to them. With boarding, everything is strange.

I had a really bad experience with boarding before... it took almost 2 weeks
before my cat returned to her old self.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:10 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,326,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelimeusa View Post
A closet?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:32 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,342,475 times
The nicest boarding in town, imo, is Becker Animal Hospital on I-10. Their new facility is really top notch, but it's still boarding and your animal will likely have some amount of stress while there.

I'd recommend going with Animal Staycations (http://www.animalstaycations.com/ - broken link), a local pet sitting service that comes into your home to get the job done. I've used them a number of times for my three animals and they cannot be beat. They truly are 'pet people,' fully bonded and insured and go the extra mile to make sure you're at ease with everything. To me, it's worth paying a little extra to make sure my little ones are getting the best care available.

BN

Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 PM

107 posts, read 370,149 times
When we first arrived here, we had to board our cat for a couple of days. We hadn't closed on our home yet and we were staying in TLF at the base that didn't allow pets.

We used Palms Pet Resort and Spa off Bandera/1604. They were wonderful.

Our kitty was 12 at the time and had never been boarded. She did just fine.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:23 PM

6,199 posts, read 8,670,080 times
This reminds me of the Must Love Cats bit about the Evergreen Lodge. If we had this I wouldn't have problem leaving my cats with others when vacationing.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:50 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,342,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Whatever you do, DO NOT use Becker Animal Hospital! They have a veterinarian there that killed a Dachshund with a maul in front of it's owner!
Volosen Trial in Colleyville on Local News and Events LocalNewsOnly.com

Their bad boarding practices have been exposed on television.
Pet Owners: SA Vet Clinic Injured Dogs - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/24625819/detail.html - broken link)

There are LOTS of pretty horrific reviews from Becker clients including one by a woman who took a dog in for a bath, and the dog was basically cooked to death in a malfunctioning dog dryer! Read the REAL reviews between the glowing planted reviews.

Listen... You can believe the breathless reviews, KSAT 12 (during sweeps week) or you can take it from someone who's been with Becker since they opened their new facility and is a longtime poster here at CD. They've been nothing but professional, kind and quick with all of my animals. Dr Becker, who I see, has been a wonderful vet. Period.

Animal Staycations are also folks who can be looked into: Great option if you're willing to pay a little more and keep your pets in-home and comfortable.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio