U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:40 AM

889 posts, read 952,340 times

Advertisements

I say we turn Broadway into Al Bundy Boulevard...and Playland Park to No Ma'am Land.

If they do rename a street after Obama....just make sure it's a dead end road somewhere...only fitting.

K...I'm going to bed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,988,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
...and I like how the article states that it's not done because of his policitical policies, but because of his role in history
Locally, Ronald Reagan High School, opened in August 1999 when the former president was still alive. One could argue the same thing about Reagan High School being named so quickly when the guy hadn't even passed! Makes you think about those who prematurely "approved" of the school name and "why"?!

Although I don't support this street name change because our current president hasn't passed on and because of the added expense, I'm sure there are other schools and streets in this country which have been named by other presidents who were still president during their time in office.

Regardless, to name Ronald Reagan High School after the former president (or any president still alive while receiving a school named after them or street name change) is simply premature and inappropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
If anything the street that he visited during his campaign should be renamed. I have no idea where it was, but I know for a fact that he visited some time in February 2008. Now that's some impact.
Absolute w-e-a-k. Better try next time.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:53 AM

5,081 posts, read 7,782,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Thread fail.

There is already a street named in honor of the Irish heroes (of the Mexican-American War) just three blocks south of Guadalupe St. in the West Side.

If it was just a joke it failed too. It all seems like whining when some do protest a bit too much over a street being renamed especially when it is for another group not your own and when the street is not on your side of town. Does anyone even live near the East Side?

Grow up and accept we are a multicultural nation with room for all. Streets do get renamed for there are plenty of public places already in San Antonio where their presidential namesakes had no real strong connection to our city.

Quit hating lol
joke detection fail.

Renaming streets is stupid 99% of the time, and this isn't the lucky 1% where it's a good idea.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,421,487 times
Default A Good Idea, Barack Obama Drive,

I am alright wid it.
Rename the street. Far better than naming a Dubya Drive.
For a group of people who couldn't get into the front door of the movie theaters downtown or be seated at restaurants around here, just a short time ago it is a good idea.
In a state,Texas, that prides itself so much on its' mythical past, this is a breath of fresh modern air. Besides Irish, with all of the Taverns out there named after you all over the country, I wouldn't complain- and the guy is a remakable human being. It is time.
Unfortunately, for a lot of folks around here in the resistance movement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
'Barack Obama Drive' Pushed for San Antonio's East Side - News Radio 1200 WOAI San Antonio Texas

When will this nonsense stop? Hey, I am Irish and I think that Alamo Street should be renamed St. Patrick Street in honor of the Irish who fought at The Alamo. Of course I am joking, but when was it okay to begin to change street names some of which have been around this city for decades! UNACCEPTABLE! I hope all these ideas are shot down. I know Chavez street over there is stuck in court. How about a simple "no, we will not be changing street names in this city" from elected officials. Grrrrrr..............

Old 06-24-2011, 08:29 AM

2,932 posts, read 2,486,362 times
Gotta love San Antonio priorities. Renaming existing streets is such a waste of money.

I am just waiting for the next round of budget cuts to city workers and teachers to happen while we spend thousands of dollars to rename streets. I don't get it.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,642,127 times
I say that we take the high road (no pun intended) here: Rename all San Antonio streets in accordance with the following convention:

East-West streets: Each roadway that roughly aligns in an east-west fashion shall be re-named X Avenue, where X is a number in ascending order.
North-South streets: Each roadway that roughly aligns in an north-south fashion shall be re-named X Street, where X is a number in ascending order.

So, if one were to give a cross-street location, one could say I am at the corner of 9th Avenue and 4th Street. Now, isn't that easy?

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic--I agree with many of the other posters in that this recent inclination to re-name streets for seemingly political reasons is a waste of money in a time where we have much larger problems that require attention...)

--Dim

Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 AM

1,074 posts, read 943,054 times
Some people on here are missing my point. I could care less if they are thinking of naming the street Joe Blow Avenue. It is the principle of changing street names. What is the point? And yes it is a waste of money! Why not take that money and fix a street full of potholes, improve playgrounds for kids, update parks, paint over the thousands of buildings tagged up, etc. Yes, the people who are being considered are historically important. I get it. Doesn't mean we need streets named after them. And even if you do not live in that area I am sure you will be paying for it in some shape or fashion. Nothing to do with ethnicity, politics, or politicians. Everything to do with wasting money. Get a clue folks.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:03 AM

1,074 posts, read 943,054 times
I do, however, like the Al Bundy idea. Maybe the Alamo Heights folks could pick up the bill on that one

Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 AM

13,805 posts, read 19,043,105 times
Yes! PLEASE spend the money on street repairs instead of renaming a street. Or fix some of the stupid traffic lights that don't work and/or can't see motorcycles sitting there waiting forever.. I'm getting tired of having to go through red lights because the sensors never pick me up.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:34 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,351,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Thread fail.

There is already a street named in honor of the Irish heroes (of the Mexican-American War) just three blocks south of Guadalupe St. in the West Side.

If it was just a joke it failed too. It all seems like whining when some do protest a bit too much over a street being renamed especially when it is for another group not your own and when the street is not on your side of town. Does anyone even live near the East Side?

Grow up and accept we are a multicultural nation with room for all. Streets do get renamed for there are plenty of public places already in San Antonio where their presidential namesakes had no real strong connection to our city.

Quit hating lol
Are you serious??? Do you not believe people actually live on or near the east side of San Antonio? There is more to San Antonio than the Northwest, North and Northeast sides of town. If you are talking about people on this board living near the east side, then yes, I live near the east side and I'm sure there are many people on this board who live, work and/or travel through or to the east side of SA. The east side of SA was a city long before the north sides of town were anything but ranch and brush country. I would suggest that you get out and experience San Antonio. Think out of the bubble. As far as renaming that little stretch of Pecan Valley to Obama Ave., I could care less as long as whatever group wants it covers ALL of the expenses with their own private money. Personally, I can't afford this useless, expensive baloney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio