Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:17 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times

Advertisements

'Barack Obama Drive' Pushed for San Antonio's East Side - News Radio 1200 WOAI San Antonio Texas

When will this nonsense stop? Hey, I am Irish and I think that Alamo Street should be renamed St. Patrick Street in honor of the Irish who fought at The Alamo. Of course I am joking, but when was it okay to begin to change street names some of which have been around this city for decades! UNACCEPTABLE! I hope all these ideas are shot down. I know Chavez street over there is stuck in court. How about a simple "no, we will not be changing street names in this city" from elected officials. Grrrrrr..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 02:25 PM

392 posts, read 749,470 times
I want Commerce St downtown to be named Rue de La Louisiane, or better yet, name IH-10 Autoroute Acadien in honor of the fact that I'm from Louisiana and some folks from Louisiana died at the Alamo. If this isn't done tomorrow, the terrorists win and you are all racist, hatred-filled bigots.

ELL-OH-ELL at the stupid people thinking changing a street name will improve their lives. I'm sorry, but naming at least one street in just about every city after MLK hasn't improved the lives of black people, and usually that street is in the worst part of town, which is a massive shame. Naming a street here after the idiot president we have that doesn't even share the same heritage that most African Americans have (he's tied to Africa itself, not old America and its slave history), makes absolutely no sense to me.

Sorry, but I heard people cry about not naming Rue des Saules in Lafayette, LA into MLK St. for too long and have gotten tired of these silly debates.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
I'm still waiting for my street. When it does happen, they need to construct a roundabout in order to fit a monument in my honor.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:34 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Ultra-PCism at its finest. When will this crap (and needless expenditure of money) stop?

BN

Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
The posters above recognized that this local forum thread would NOT be the thread in which to offer their opinion of the politician mentioned in the original post. That would be discussing national politics, which is off topic for the forum

I hope that the folks who post after me have the same good judgment.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:53 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
It is an absolute waste of SA (keeping it local) money, especially on this guy..
I've also noticed that pretty much MLK street in any city is usually not the place you want to be. My brother and I were in Sarasota, FL a couple months ago and we got off on an MLK to go to Krystals and you could tell we weren't on the best side of town. The Krystals was great, though

edit- and I like how the article states that it's not done because of his policitical policies, but because of his role in history and then in the very next paragraph he states that it should be done now because it's on "people's minds, the voter's minds". Nothing like shooting down your words with the very next sentence... This Otis Thompson is obviously not the brightest bulb in the chandelier..

edit 2- they should name a street after this guy http://www.gossipcop.com/justin-bieb...011-barricade/
now that's a real hero (the one that attacked the little twit)

Last edited by rd2007; 06-23-2011 at 03:17 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 PM

418 posts, read 784,563 times
My judgment is horrid!

Changing street names happens... especially when municipalities merge into a larger city. Been through that. Best is to participate in the naming process.

How would you like to live on a street by the name of Street... yes!

Where do you live?

1234 Street Street

Name of the street please?

STREET

<pause>

Yes sir, I know you live on a street... what is the
name of that street please?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:58 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
If anything the street that he visited during his campaign should be renamed. I have no idea where it was, but I know for a fact that he visited some time in February 2008. Now that's some impact.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:22 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
'Barack Obama Drive' Pushed for San Antonio's East Side - News Radio 1200 WOAI San Antonio Texas

When will this nonsense stop? Hey, I am Irish and I think that Alamo Street should be renamed St. Patrick Street in honor of the Irish who fought at The Alamo. Of course I am joking
Thread fail.

There is already a street named in honor of the Irish heroes (of the Mexican-American War) just three blocks south of Guadalupe St. in the West Side.

If it was just a joke it failed too. It all seems like whining when some do protest a bit too much over a street being renamed especially when it is for another group not your own and when the street is not on your side of town. Does anyone even live near the East Side?

Grow up and accept we are a multicultural nation with room for all. Streets do get renamed for there are plenty of public places already in San Antonio where their presidential namesakes had no real strong connection to our city.

Quit hating lol

Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
There are always going to be people, across various affiliations, who want something named after someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio