Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:09 AM

948 posts, read 1,834,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiker View Post
I hate to break it to you, but on many accounts Matt is right; but how you dress is all about context.

If you are a coder, and you never see the light of day - or all of your interactions are on the phone then how you dress doesn't matter that much.
I never disagreed with this. Infact, I said the same thing. I said that you can't make a blanket statement like that. Did you even read what I wrote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 12:32 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,068,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
If my company gets a surprise visit from a VIP and I am the only one dressed in khakis with a nice company shirt and the rest are in jeans or shorts with flip flops then I know I have nothing to worry about in regards to my appearance.
The VPs are also wearing shorts and flip flops for the surprise visit. Hubby had a VP stop by and someone was dressed up and they called that person out for it (not in a bad way) and said they can wear shorts and flip flops because Rackspace is different.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times
I'm the only one that wears jeans in my 80+ staff office. Everyone is either in military BDUs or slacks and dress shirt. Yea, I'm the odd ball...but I work with graphics, so I get that little aura of "coolness" The only thing I need to do now is grow my hear out and get a bit of 5oclock shadow going.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:00 PM

30 posts, read 78,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
I never disagreed with this. Infact, I said the same thing. I said that you can't make a blanket statement like that. Did you even read what I wrote?
Yeah your right, all I saw was "that's ridiculous" and "what a bunch of BS"

Old 06-26-2011, 06:13 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
The VPs are also wearing shorts and flip flops for the surprise visit. Hubby had a VP stop by and someone was dressed up and they called that person out for it (not in a bad way) and said they can wear shorts and flip flops because Rackspace is different.
That is different indeed. I mean if the VIP are that relaxed during visits then I see the exception to what I said earlier. (Thank you for not jumping down my throat about what I said earlier by the way)

However I have yet to work for a company with such a liberal attitude towards dress code.

If the VIP makes an effort to dress nice, then I will be sure to do the same. It isn't ridiculous or BS. It is just common sense.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:11 PM

59 posts, read 95,846 times
Yes sure it all depends on where you are at. DC, Boston, Chicago, I've done work in all of these places and suit and tie is the norm there. But if you were to wear that here you'd stick out like a soar thumb.

I agree you should dress like you take the job seriously but when the CEO comes by in a pair of jeans and a polo and you're in a full suit..... you see where I'm going. Some cultures are old school like that, luckily where I work it's performance and attitude based, not appearance, especially when you're not meeting customers face to face.

Case and point, every place is different and you should dress nicely but don't overdo it, not only are you uncomfortable but you'll make everyone else uncomfortable.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,068,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
However I have yet to work for a company with such a liberal attitude towards dress code.
A liberal dress code within a IT/internet based company is usually founded by those in their mid-20's, early 30s dot com kinda of era. If you ever work for a company like this in the future, it is different from any other previous company. It's kinda hard to go back to that mindset.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times
You can also look at it from the angle of the person is dressing up to make up for some shortcomings in their performance... from what I've seen in the IT business, performance is nearly the only thing that matters. There are a lot of unique people in this field and their choice of clothes is reflected in that. It's often best to leave them as they are as long as they're performing some of the amazing tasks some of them can do. That's especially true for the programmers. Just leave them be as long as they're happy doing what they're doing and if they're writing code, they're probably happy.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:34 PM

17 posts, read 50,552 times
I work from home right now too, so if I do get the role at Rackspace, I suppose jeans would be dressing up from my current choice of workout clothes?

@ Paul - yes, I know a lot of context can be lost on the phone, I spend about 6-7 hours a day on the phone now I think it went well on Friday though

Old 06-27-2011, 03:39 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times
If you got a call back, it went pretty well; or at least better than any of my phone interviews..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio