Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 03:45 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Expect police to crack down on drunk driving this July 4th weekend

San Antonio police, Bexar County Sheriff’s deputies, and officers from small jurisdictions like Terrell Hills and Alamo Heights will be meeting at Alamo Stadium like they did in April. They’ll be banding together for a special roll call, a shot of force against drunk driving.
And...

Quote:
“This year so far, we are up 15% in our DWI arrests compared to what we did last year at the same time,” the chief said. “So our officers are out there. They’re working hard. And if you drink and drive, they’re going to get you.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 12:15 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,479 times
GOOD.

i wish they would do this way more often. every weekend they should park outside the big spots (im looking at you grahams on fred/410) and pull em over one by one and make sure there are no retards drinking and driving.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:36 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,421 times
i was on 410 today (er, yesterday) heading towards the airport and saw quite a few police vehicles (several utility vehicles and a mustang??) out and about with pulled over motorists. this must have been around nine or ten am or so. i don't usually go that way at that hour so i don't know if it's a common thing, or if it's the pd ramping up on traffic violations in prep for the holiday or what.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
or it's the end of the month...

They really do need to target specific businesses. I'm sure some will whine about how that''s not fair, though...

Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Am I the only one that expects the police to crack down on drunk driving every weekend?

Yes, yes, I know, they're doing their jobs. It's the judges who are not.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:08 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,245 times
I plan on being drunk from July 1-5. But I will be on the river in an innertube and fishing on the lake. Not driving around with the rest of the lightweights/poor decision makers in SA. Happy Birthday America!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:26 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I expect them to crack down every minute of every day of every week of every month and every year.. however, I have little to no faith that they will, that the prosecutors will seek any real punishment, the judges will mete out any real punishment, or that the local population will care one bit. Call it a four-day weekend and I'll predict at least 6 deaths with at least one or two being a tragedy with a family or kids involved.. I of course do not want that to happen, but I'm not a fool and won't pretend the possibility isn't very real, especially in Irresponsibilityville, USA...

Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 AM

574 posts, read 1,640,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I expect them to crack down every minute of every day of every week of every month and every year.. however, I have little to no faith that they will, that the prosecutors will seek any real punishment, the judges will mete out any real punishment, or that the local population will care one bit. Call it a four-day weekend and I'll predict at least 6 deaths with at least one or two being a tragedy with a family or kids involved.. I of course do not want that to happen, but I'm not a fool and won't pretend the possibility isn't very real, especially in Irresponsibilityville, USA...
They should take drunk drivers on their first offense and put them on a county work crew. Along with that they should seize their vehicle and it should be forfeited to the local LEO for auction with the proceeds to help the victims of drunk drivers. If it is their second offense they should put them on a chain gang and forced hard labor and be forced to be some other prison inmates Bit$*!

Now I have a real good idea to help prevent drunk driving altogether and help balance all of the local, state and federal budgets that are so screwed up. How about taxing the crap out of alcohol just like they do tobacco? More people are injured, maimed and kill from drunk drivers than from second hand smoke!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:03 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
or it's the end of the month...
Technically, the 4th of July is the beginning of the month!

And while I know your stance on the SAPD, I would expect at least a little acknowledgement that their 15% increase in DUI/DWI arrests over last year is a step in the right direction. Are you unable to give them any credit for doing their jobs?

And GlorifiedMalcontent, we've noticed the same thing. I would do this town a lot of good to have more traffic enforcement, but there would have to be a substantial increase to mitigate the huge amount of bad driving that occurs on our roadways.

Either way, I wish the local law enforcement agencies 'happy hunting' over the upcoming holiday weekend! I only hope the courts uphold their responsibilities by applying the maximum punishment possible instead of the slaps on the wrists they've been issuing!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Their stepping up during Fiesta helped keep down the number of deaths. I read that we usually have 10 drunk driving-related deaths in the month of April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio