Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:16 AM

894 posts, read 1,533,606 times

Advertisements

I like TWC but the bill is a little ridiculous. I have two DVRs and two regular cable boxes. I'm thinking a whole house DVR would save a little money, but then again maybe not. Anyone have it yet? How much? Does it work as advertised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 12:52 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,263,980 times
I just had it installed the other day and I'm underwhelmed.. the boxes are very nice looking and made by Samsuns. The DVR is model SMT-H3272 and the others are 3262s. Looks and the fact that it has a clock on the box are about the only things it has going for it.. it is slooooooooooow, stupid slow and annoying slow. I have no idea why it can't just change channels and actually change the channel, but it's like each one takes a couple seconds, so channel surfing is annoying to say the least. TWC also doesn't organize their channels in any sort of order. I like it much better when certain groups are near each other like uverse does. You also can't pause or rewind from any of the other boxes, only the DVR one can. They also took away the ability to fast forward when you do start over. Unless something great happens real soon, I'm going to ditch them as soon as I get my gift cards for switching. I can't believe how disappointing this has been and I also don't know what I'm going to switch to. Uverse has its own set of problems and the price for what you get is pathetic, especially the Internet speed. Calling their elite service elite should be grounds for a class action lawsuit. It's slower than the basic RR service.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:10 PM

431 posts, read 761,214 times
i like my uverse, the bill is amazing

i have u450 and max tuurbo

my bill is $159 Ive had uverse for probably 3 years now

Old 06-25-2011, 03:10 PM

894 posts, read 1,533,606 times
Thanks for the feedback! Probably saved me some frustration!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:04 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,802,071 times
I've got DirecTV's whole-home system and love it. I run mine off of a powerline-based system and it's lightening fast. I can stream from one box to another and I've never had a hiccup.

I'm not sure how TWC is networking their boxes. Are you connected on an Ethernet cord, wireless or otherwise?

BN

Old 06-25-2011, 05:22 PM

Connected via plain jane coax. It's dog slow and then some. Totally unacceptable.

edit- and what's up with this Signature Home thing? It basically charges me quite a bit more money for something I don't want from them (wireless) and some sort of priority service of specially trained individuals just for me and a few other suckers.. they should focus on the actual issues before trying to attract an "elite" clientele..

Last edited by rd2007; 06-25-2011 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 06:06 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,608,887 times
bout to ditch direc tv here myself. its ok if you watch tv, but since i got netflix, the wife and i have been watching that and going to our favorite shows websites and watching them there, in HD, for free.

i ordered an amplified HD antenna for the local news and plan on tying it into my computer so i can DVR it and watch it at my leisure.

/home theater pc for the mofarkin win!
//had time warner, digital cable was too slow for my liking
///uverse wont be available in my area for 2+ years, despite me being less than 2 miles from my NOC.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:20 PM

I am cancelling TWC right away. Just got the bill and they completely lied about everything. The charge is more than $70/month more than what they said it would be and they charged the $80 I refused to pay for the install fee.

Absolute crap service and liars guarantee I'm never going back. Now I have to debate on whether I want to call and rant now or cool down for a bit. I'm going to try to cool down, but I'm pi$$ed.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:23 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,792,795 times
Chill out dude! I have learned the hard way not to call when pissed! Go break something...come back and call. So....is ATT your new cable provider?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:25 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,608,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I am cancelling TWC right away. Just got the bill and they completely lied about everything. The charge is more than $70/month more than what they said it would be and they charged the $80 I refused to pay for the install fee.

Absolute crap service and liars guarantee I'm never going back. Now I have to debate on whether I want to call and rant now or cool down for a bit. I'm going to try to cool down, but I'm pi$$ed.
no surprise here. when i had twc installed last (roughly 4 years back), they missed my appt by 2 days. however, when they called to reschedule, they offered me a free month of internet (all i had was internet) and they wouldnt charge me any install fee.

im surprised they still charge an install fee, since ATT doesnt. can you still get a self-install kit and DIY and save on the install fee? i remember that was an option but because of the deal i was getting they had to come out and tweak something (probably add a filter so i couldnt watch tv with the analog connection)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio