U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:39 AM

2,216 posts, read 3,983,454 times

Advertisements

Since we are always posting about eating out, thought I would share this. Three places failed the recent health inspection. One is Zuni Grill, a pretty popular place on the Riverwalk. ewwwww!

River Walk Restaurant, 2 Others Fail Inspection - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/28391168/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 06:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
One of the other places that failed was a "Taqueria Jalisco." The 100 other restaurants in town with "taqueria" or "Jalisco" in their names must be worried that their customers will think it was them.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 AM

2,216 posts, read 3,983,454 times
Yeah, I can see where that is almost overwhelming for customers to remember which is which. It's been a while but I have dined at Zuni....... can't say that I will be anytime soon now.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,177,429 times
Freaking GROSS!!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 AM

418 posts, read 687,511 times
About the only place I will eat out these days is Subway... where I can see what they are doing with exception of the bread making.

Invariably restaurants seem to get the order wrong, have slow service, serve it cold... and who knows how the food is being handled and what the conditions in the kitchen are.

I'm also not likely a trend I have been seeing for a while in the grocery stores with respect to packaged foods. Pickup a package of chicken tenderloins that looked good yesterday and upon opening the package at home I discover one tenderloin purposely hidden from view that had some odd cuts on it and was riddled with blood.

The policy seems to be to hide items under others in the package to just get it out the door... chances are the customer will not return with it.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:49 AM

615 posts, read 1,325,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
About the only place I will eat out these days is Subway... where I can see what they are doing with exception of the bread making.

Invariably restaurants seem to get the order wrong, have slow service, serve it cold... and who knows how the food is being handled and what the conditions in the kitchen are.

I'm also not likely a trend I have been seeing for a while in the grocery stores with respect to packaged foods. Pickup a package of chicken tenderloins that looked good yesterday and upon opening the package at home I discover one tenderloin purposely hidden from view that had some odd cuts on it and was riddled with blood.

The policy seems to be to hide items under others in the package to just get it out the door... chances are the customer will not return with it.
LOL I wouldn't trust Subway either, just because you can see them make your food. My wife used to do health inspections for food establishments. Some of the things to look for/look at are -

Are they using the same knife without washing? What temperature are the meats/veggies being stored at? How was the meat/veggies handled before being put in the tray? Do employee's have access to a sink for hand washing only? Establishments must have two sinks, one for hand washing one for food.

My wife used to say the funniest things were when a place would be failed for not having two sinks, yet a place with visible rodents were not failed due to the grading scale.

For me, I'd be more concerned about a damn roach then two sinks.

The absolute worst place I've been in Texas was the Spaghetti Factory in Dallas. We went as a group from our conference and we had 3 roaches fall from the ceiling onto our food, and one fell into a girls hair. I was mortified and almost threw up right there. DISGUSTING.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:48 PM

37,726 posts, read 55,391,166 times
"A manager told KSAT-12 many violations were corrected on the spot."
I always wonder, why takes the inspectors to come and point the violations for a manager to correct them "on the spot". Shouldn't that be his daily routine?
"Over a dozen roaches were seen plus evidence of rodents.
Food debris was seen on floors and walls, plus mold was in the cooler" - obviously the manager is incompetent to run a restaurant if he thinks that roaches and mold are not a problem to correct.

Index: http://www.ksat.com/kitchendoor/index.html (broken link)

Mi Guadalajara #2 on South Zarzamora was shut down by Metro Health after an inspector gave them an astonishing 71 demerits.
Metro Health waited to hear back from Mi Guadalajara so a re-inspection could be performed. If all 71 demerits were corrected, the restaurant could re-open.
However, weeks went by and Metro Health was not contacted. Metro Health now lists Mi Guadalajara #2 on South Zarzamora as officially "out of business."

Last edited by elnina; 06-29-2011 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
"A manager told KSAT-12 many violations were corrected on the spot."
I always wonder, why takes the inspectors to come and point the violations for a manager to correct them "on the spot". Shouldn't that be his daily routine?
"Over a dozen roaches were seen plus evidence of rodents.
Food debris was seen on floors and walls, plus mold was in the cooler" - obviously the manager is incompetent to run a restaurant if he thinks that roaches and mold are not a problem to correct.

Index: Behind The Kitchen Door, San Antonio Restaurant Scores and More from KSAT (http://www.ksat.com/kitchendoor/index.html - broken link)

Mi Guadalajara #2 on South Zarzamora was shut down by Metro Health after an inspector gave them an astonishing 71 demerits.
Metro Health waited to hear back from Mi Guadalajara so a re-inspection could be performed. If all 71 demerits were corrected, the restaurant could re-open.
However, weeks went by and Metro Health was not contacted. Metro Health now lists Mi Guadalajara #2 on South Zarzamora as officially "out of business."
Elnina,

I do government inspections on a daily basis. Most often, things are corrected on the spot. However, it does amaze me why they wait until the inspector comes out to fix it. I think I have honestly figured it out. Despite the Health Districts goal of doing 100% inspections each year, there isn't enough manpower to do so. Just like my group who does DoD inspections, we don't have enough personnel. It's easier to just ignore the problem until the inspector comes, get hit with a poor review and move on.

I tried a few google searches and I couldn't find a comprehensive list of all the places that failed. Why? This should be on the main page of the Health Districts website. Make the inspections harder.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:17 PM

37,726 posts, read 55,391,166 times
Verio: I did the same search, but didn't found any database for it. There is one: San Antonio Metropolitan Health District but not very user friendly

"Most often, things are corrected on the spot. However, it does amaze me why they wait until the inspector comes out to fix it. I think I have honestly figured it out." - I think that I figured it out, too - they are just plain lazy and incompetent, do not know better and do not care. They know that they can get away with it till the inspectors show up, and in between inspections.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Verio: I did the same search, but didn't found any database for it. There is one: San Antonio Metropolitan Health District but not very user friendly

"Most often, things are corrected on the spot. However, it does amaze me why they wait until the inspector comes out to fix it. I think I have honestly figured it out." - I think that I figured it out, too - they are just plain lazy and incompetent, do not know better and do not care. They know that they can get away with it till the inspectors show up, and in between inspections.
We had one installation that went UNSAT today... the Senior Official at the location asked why, and I told him "I have to be frank, the guy doing your oversight, is lazy". He actually thanked me afterward for being blunt and telling him the truth. Even in the inspection position, we're required to be terribly politically correct and sure not to offend anyone.

Thankfully we have these inspections to keep places honest. For example, if the MMA (Mineral Management Agency) wasn't in bed with the oil companies, BP may not have happened (I say may).

Hate lazy incompetent people who endanger others!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio