Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:47 PM

418 posts, read 781,342 times

Advertisements

Some grocery stores in Canada started charging for plastic bags a while back... unless you brought your own bag.

I'm not sure if this is still going on up there. Going to Canada in September so I will find out soon enough.

Agreed though... there is to much plastic floating around out there that will be with us basically forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:42 PM

92 posts, read 234,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
What would probably happen is that the stores will just try to pass off the extra cost to the customer.
Guess what? Store customers are already paying for the plastic bags that they use - it's rolled into the store markup!

Those "free plastic bags" aren't free. If stores could charge customers who use plastic bags, then the cost would be more transparent. Being transparent about the real cost of an action is a great way to promote good practices.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:47 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,793,365 times
I like the cardboard box idea. And hell yeah you can recycle those! Good call westside wrangler

Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 PM

61,172 posts, read 85,998,837 times
I think, some people will take their reusable bags when the stores start to charge for them. I know they are already included in the purchase price, but if the bag price were separated - then people will reconsider taking their own bags.
That works just fine in other countries.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:54 PM

615 posts, read 1,516,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah TX View Post
Guess what? Store customers are already paying for the plastic bags that they use - it's rolled into the store markup!

Those "free plastic bags" aren't free. If stores could charge customers who use plastic bags, then the cost would be more transparent. Being transparent about the real cost of an action is a great way to promote good practices.
I don't think people understand the economics of how a business works.

Do you REALLY think that a business will lower the costs if they didn't have to pass them on to a consumer? Especially for a business like HEB which has no competition? No.

It's like Verizon's new pricing model for their data plans. They can charge more than everyone else because the competition isn't even close.

I use my plastic bags for all kinds of uses. How do people pick up their dog poop? Dirty diapers? Waste basket trash? Do the tree hugging hippies use hemp bags for that? I just don't get it.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,735,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
And who cares if the cashiers look flustered when they have to put stuff into reusable bags ( I mean that in the nicest way possible). What is the difference between putting something in a plastic or reusable bag? They're both bags!?!?
They either end up sticking the stuff in plastic bags and then stuffing those into the reusable bags, or piling all the stuff on the turntable and expecting us (usually hubby because I'm busy watching prices) to bag our own stuff, even when we've hooked the reusable bags onto the bag racks. Bad enough that you've got to load your own cart at Walmart without having to bag all your own groceries as well.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:12 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,793,365 times
That is crazy and not to mention not very customer friendly! The nerve of those people! If it were me I would just sit there until somebody started bagging my stuff and made sure they did it right. But I can be somewhat forward at times. I don't know how Wal-Mart works really since I have boycotted them since 1997, but HEB is pretty good about bagging it up right. I have only had one scenario at HEB and it was with the coffee scales, not the bags.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:16 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,068,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I use my plastic bags for all kinds of uses. How do people pick up their dog poop? Dirty diapers? Waste basket trash? Do the tree hugging hippies use hemp bags for that? I just don't get it.
For dog poop, I buy the dog poop bags at Costco, complete with poop bag holder to attach to leash...these are biodegradable when thrown away. For trash bags, there is recyclable trash bags available at HEB or Wal Mart for either kitchen trash can or large outdoor trash can use.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,519,894 times
Target gives you 5 cents for each reusable bag you bring.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 PM

522 posts, read 1,127,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
For dog poop, I buy the dog poop bags at Costco, complete with poop bag holder to attach to leash...these are biodegradable when thrown away. For trash bags, there is recyclable trash bags available at HEB or Wal Mart for either kitchen trash can or large outdoor trash can use.

and it's not so much that people are or aren't using plastic bags... but you just get SO MANY of them. i don't know about other folks, but my weeks worth of groceries as heb or walmart could send me home with ten plastic bags! (i could cut that in half if i were bagging them though. most grocery bagging clerks seem to use an excessive amount of bags, especially when in a hurry.) ten plastic bags a week? meaning i have roughly forty bags in my collection per month! holy cow. even if i had a need for so many bags, i don't take heart in that their only purpose is to be thrown away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio