U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:14 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,306,140 times

Advertisements

thanks again elnina

That menu looks almost exactly like this place we go to when I'm back in Ann Arbor. Hopefully the food is the same quality as that place too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 AM

574 posts, read 1,161,438 times
No sorrel....no mauby? Awwwww man!

I'm gonna check this place out this week...be back with my review and pics. Wish the menu had a bit more variety...hopefully the business does well and they are able to expand later on.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:51 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,799,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Checked on the place on Austin Hwy, and oh man! - it was booming. The parking lot was full and every table inside was occupied. At 7PM, they need to close, because the run out of rice.
I want to try the Sunday's brunch buffet...

dont forget to rate it on urbanspoon!
Jamaica Jamaica Cuisine - Northeast Side - San Antonio | Urbanspoon

Old 08-28-2011, 04:32 PM

Wife, kids, granddaughter, and I all went to Jamaica Jamaica today and nobody left disappointed. We got there around 2 PM and there were only a couple of customers. My only issue was it was Sunday, so they only have the buffet and nothing on the menu is available. I ended up sitting it out since I can't even come close to eating buffet style, but the guy didn't mind me tasting things and I did buy a bottle of water, so it was an excellent experience. They also offer a military discount.
I'll be back Friday to pick up some ackee and salt fish, curry goat, hard dough bread and whatever else sounds good at the time. Hopefully this Jamaican/Caribbean thing catches on here. We could easily convert a couple taquerias..

Old 08-28-2011, 05:33 PM

574 posts, read 1,161,438 times
I went last weekend for the Sunday buffet, my best guess is this is the day they purge their inventory from the week...smart business wise, but not always the best quality.

The food was tasty, the jerk chicken had a nice smokiness and heat, but was a bit dry. The jerk pork was sweet and smokey with a little less heat than the chicken. I'd prefer if the pork was spicier since the meat was on the fatty side. A bit more heat would help contend with the fatty meat. Rice and peas were par for the course, the hard dough bread IMO was too hard, the ackee was really tasty but cold. The cabbage was delicious and well seasoned without overdoing it. There was also some beans & pork, which was like pinto beans with some smoked meat. This reminded me of the red beans at Popeyes if Popeyes actually made their red beans authentically & homemade. The smoked meat added just enough without overpowering it, and the beans were perfectly cooked. All in all I had a good meal, it wasn't great and I see room for improvement here, but overall Jamaica Jamaica has churned out a better meal on their buffet than any other Caribbean spot in SA. What did disappoint me...no sorrel, no mauby, and NO sweet plantains.

The absolutely thing to NOT miss here is Jamaica Jamaica's homemade ginger beer. It's fresh and has a great spicy bite. It lacks carbonation, so a true soda it is not...but this ginger drink it extremely refreshing and tasty.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:18 PM

239 posts, read 387,711 times
^^they don't serve plantains?!?!? that is not cool......i LOOOOOVE me some plantains

Old 09-02-2011, 06:46 PM

They do have plantains. I was just there to pick up too much food today and they had a few changes. Every meal now comes with plantains and cabbage and you also get your choice of white rice (why would anyone want that?) or rice and peas. They also got rid of the Sunday buffet because they didn't have sufficient business. I personally don't get that one since this is a buffet loving city and $10 for all that great food is a no brainer for people that can eat. I also found out the BBQ chicken stuff I mentioned in an earlier post is this new hot sauce they have and they're thinking of selling it. I thought it was great, but would consider it more of a BBQ with kick than a hot sauce.
I also picked up a loaf of hard dough bread and some ackee and salt fish. That was actually pretty tasty and the first time I've ever tried it. Would be nice if some people would friend them on FB or something like that, they could use the business and I want them to stay in business because the food is really good.
Attached is a blurry new menu from today. Not sure why my camera wouldn't focus for jack today..
Jamaican/Caribbean Food in SA-imag0205small.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or