U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,931,760 times
Default Ideas on good places to walk?

Does anyone have any good ideas of places to walk (exercise) here in SA? Perferably in the NW side. So far I have La Cantera (before shops open) as an option. What about Leon Valley park/trail? Perhaps the areas around The Rim?

Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 03:18 PM

13,553 posts, read 20,671,012 times
The track at Babcock/Wurzbach-ish.....it may just be for UTHSC students (it's actually always been just for them but it may be enforced now). It's a .5 mile track, wide enough for runners and walkers.

There is a new trail at Hamilton Wolfe/Babcock, but I haven't walked it yet.

I walk in my neighborhood, because it's semi-hilly and there really isn't too much traffic. Downfall is, thanks to mailboxes and cars parked over their driveways, we walk in the street.

Woodlawn Lake has a really nice trail around it. It's packed, though!

There is a 1/3 mile track on Dover Ridge, near where the constables are nabbing people. I am not sure of the cross street but it's by the pool and it's very shaded.

I believe you can use the indoor track at Northwest Vista College--it's in Huisache Hall, and like I said, I THINK it's open to the public. The gym isn't but.......just call them, the guy in charge is awesome.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:22 PM

3,775 posts, read 3,269,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
The track at Babcock/Wurzbach-ish.....it may just be for UTHSC students (it's actually always been just for them but it may be enforced now). It's a .5 mile track, wide enough for runners and walkers.

There is a new trail at Hamilton Wolfe/Babcock, but I haven't walked it yet.

I walk in my neighborhood, because it's semi-hilly and there really isn't too much traffic. Downfall is, thanks to mailboxes and cars parked over their driveways, we walk in the street.

Woodlawn Lake has a really nice trail around it. It's packed, though!

There is a 1/3 mile track on Dover Ridge, near where the constables are nabbing people. I am not sure of the cross street but it's by the pool and it's very shaded.

I believe you can use the indoor track at Northwest Vista College--it's in Huisache Hall, and like I said, I THINK it's open to the public. The gym isn't but.......just call them, the guy in charge is awesome.
You said the C word Don't say the P word...
Don't forget about the awesome trails at OP Schnapel..Snapple...whatever it's called. Bruandera YMCA.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:25 PM

13,553 posts, read 20,671,012 times
I've never walked the OP Schnabel trails.......are they good? We had a picnic there last weekend, but we didn't walk. I'm just wondering about those 25 ft. cliffs!

Old 07-01-2011, 03:39 PM

3,775 posts, read 3,269,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I've never walked the OP Schnabel trails.......are they good? We had a picnic there last weekend, but we didn't walk. I'm just wondering about those 25 ft. cliffs!
Yeah they have good trails. I love that park. We grill there, hike there, geocache there and of course there's a playground for the churn.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:40 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,165,299 times
The Leon Creek Greenway would be your best bet if you're looking for paved trails.

Otherwise, the Front Country of Government Canyon State Natural Area has some nice, flat trails.

Most of the city parks in the NW area have some nice places to walk.

Cheers! M2

Old 07-01-2011, 04:45 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,931,760 times
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming.

I am starting to walk a bit more as I think the benefits are better than jogging for me. Also, I try to keep things interesting by walking a new place every Saturday morning (Riverwalk, airport, parks, mission trails, etc). It's amazing at the things one can see when doing this.

Just a wanderin' stranger...

Old 07-01-2011, 06:14 PM

2,846 posts, read 3,537,507 times
I know its more north central (or even north east depending on who you are) but McAllister is good too. And the River extensions are also super good to explore as you mentioned. I second the Leon Creek extension. My goal is to be able to run the section from Sprintime to Bandera and back once it cools off.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:21 PM

418 posts, read 364,719 times
Where I go...

Out in Schertz... it is convenient for me to leave my home and walk down Schertz Parkway to Savannah. Then walk the length of Savannah to FM2252 then turn around and head back.

Bad things about this walk...

-no parks or benches along the way to stop, sit, get rested or enjoy

-Schertz Parkway near Legacy Oaks Pkwy is notorious for deer in the area that often cross the road. I'm leery one will run right into me one of these times.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:06 AM

5,124 posts, read 6,558,796 times
City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Parks & Recreation Department
Denman Estate Park
Near Lowe's at Callaghan and 10. There is even a Korean monument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio