Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 11:08 AM

409 posts, read 1,033,999 times

Advertisements

I don't mind helping out someone by giving them my last dollar if I know for sure they are down on their luck but when someone walks upto me at a restaurant and asks for $$ for food more than likely it's to buy drugs. I am on the NE side of town near Walzem Rd and over the years it has gotten worse. I had an incident a few days ago at Bill Miller's and told the person (prolly a druggie) that I paid with a credit card and had no cash on me. Then he muttered something that sounded like S.O.B cause I didn't help him. My first instinct was to knock the living "s" out of his a**. Then there are those that stand on the street corners with signs that look healthier than me. How does one handle situations like that and would it be too kindhearted of me to give them my last dollar if I knew they were going to use it for food??

Old 07-03-2011, 11:13 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
If I *know* they're gonna use it for food, I have no problem with it. However, remember that there are all kinds of religious and community groups out there feeding the homeless. 99.9% of those on the street corners are wanting drug/booze money. If you really want to help and KNOW where it goes, then give to one of the missions that feeds them, get their info and print it on on slips of paper. Then when approached, give 'em the info. If they are serious about needing to eat, they'll know where to go. If not, then you ain't encouraging even MORE panhandling.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:26 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,445 times
Another option if at a restaurant and you have the means and the desire to help, the next time they approach you while dining walk them up to the counter, let them order and then pay the cashier for them. That way you know it went to food.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:31 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Been discussed ad nauseam...

Why are there so many panhandlers in San Antonio?

Old 07-03-2011, 11:33 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,421 times
i moved here from a city that is literally crawling with pan handlers, i barely notice the ones in this city, haha! i am guilty of giving people on the sidewalk my change once in a while (the homeless, street performers, collections, etc) but i never give to the ones that are *literally in the street*. now that's something you don't want to encourage, people going window to window during a red light at an intersection. i can't stand it when the homeless do it, i can't stand it when the ids with the candy apples do it, i can't stand it when the charities do it; get out of the road.

anyway... not much to do in those situations, really. just move on if they don't like what you have or not have. i like trn's suggestion though. to be honest, i've never had a homeless person turn down any form of charity (i had a number of unique situations in the past--not in san antonio--where i was able to offer spare food, coffee and clothing i had on me at the time and they were genuinely grateful.)

Old 07-03-2011, 11:36 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
What he said ^^. Please review the previous thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio