U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 06:30 AM

13 posts, read 14,897 times

Advertisements

Hi - Just kicking around some ideas for the next 18 months or so. My wife and I are getting very tired of the high taxes that the state of Connecticut subjects us to. Plus the winters are getting very tiring. Let me explain our situation, we live in northeastern CT and work in the Hartford area. Winters are cold and snowy - summers somewhat hot and humid. We are in our early 50's and between my IT Management job and my wife's business (which can easily transfer to another part of the country) we make roughly $200k per year. Texas generally appeals due to it's relatively low taxes (gasoline and income specifically) as well as it's cost of living index compared to CT (about 14% less). I know the summers are hot but the older we get the less that bothers us. Even though we are in the busy northeast - we actually live in the quiet corner of CT on about 2 acres of land with nary a car going by our house after 8:00PM. We picked San Antonio over DFW due to its smaller size and over Austin (our first choice) due to the greater chance of finding a suitable job for me. Though I make well into the $100ks today, considering the COL difference - $100k might be appropriate. So I'm looking for thoughts about the relatively high paying IT job market in SA (specifically IT Security), what large businesses are located in SA (corporate offices ideally) and the overall prospects for the next 5 to 8 years. We do not have kids, so schools aren't a big deal although we prefer a nice neighborhood with a strong sense of community. Any other general thoughts about the area would be welcome. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 06:49 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,306,140 times
Many of the highest paying IT jobs in SA are related to the military and usually require security clearances, so make sure you remember that when looking at prospects. I have no clue how the civilian IT market is here except for my two weeks spent as a very underpaid Rackspace employee.. There's also a huge overabundance of very well qualified people with high-level certifications, so that doesn't help much either.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Many of the highest paying IT jobs in SA are related to the military and usually require security clearances, so make sure you remember that when looking at prospects. I have no clue how the civilian IT market is here except for my two weeks spent as a very underpaid Rackspace employee.. There's also a huge overabundance of very well qualified people with high-level certifications, so that doesn't help much either.
Thanks! Are you saying that there is a "glut" of experienced IT and IT management types... that doesn't sound like a good market....

Old 07-04-2011, 07:52 AM

5,633 posts, read 13,952,075 times
There are many IT jobs available here. It seems the glut are for defense contractors and therefore require some kind of security clearance. Many of these are for IT management types. I don't think you will have a problem finding a job here, but it won't be as high paying as your current area, but that's OK because the cost of living here is so ridiculously low that I believe you will actually make more money here (not knowing what your wife does, hers may be a different story). I turned down a high paying job to stay in Texas (not surprisingly, they wanted me to relocate to your neck of the woods).

Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 AM

583 posts, read 1,006,390 times
Check out USAA for IT positions. I work at USAA as an IT Analyst but there are definitely IT security positions as well. It is a very large company that has excellent benefits and bonus structure for employees. ComputerWorld also named USAA as the number one place to work in IT for the past two years.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
There are many IT jobs available here. It seems the glut are for defense contractors and therefore require some kind of security clearance. Many of these are for IT management types. I don't think you will have a problem finding a job here, but it won't be as high paying as your current area, but that's OK because the cost of living here is so ridiculously low that I believe you will actually make more money here (not knowing what your wife does, hers may be a different story). I turned down a high paying job to stay in Texas (not surprisingly, they wanted me to relocate to your neck of the woods).
Thanks! And money isn't everything... My wife has a bookkeeping and accounting business and there seems to be demand everywhere for that... Austin is ideal but unless you work for Dell or the State of TX... not much else there that would work for me. There's always DFW where jobs and pay look good. We'd only do this for 6 or 7 years then keep moving west to someplace where we can relax a little.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,415,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwstamp View Post
Hi - Just kicking around some ideas for the next 18 months or so. My wife and I are getting very tired of the high taxes that the state of Connecticut subjects us to. Plus the winters are getting very tiring. Let me explain our situation, we live in northeastern CT and work in the Hartford area. Winters are cold and snowy - summers somewhat hot and humid. We are in our early 50's and between my IT Management job and my wife's business (which can easily transfer to another part of the country) we make roughly $200k per year. Texas generally appeals due to it's relatively low taxes (gasoline and income specifically) as well as it's cost of living index compared to CT (about 14% less). I know the summers are hot but the older we get the less that bothers us. Even though we are in the busy northeast - we actually live in the quiet corner of CT on about 2 acres of land with nary a car going by our house after 8:00PM. We picked San Antonio over DFW due to its smaller size and over Austin (our first choice) due to the greater chance of finding a suitable job for me. Though I make well into the $100ks today, considering the COL difference - $100k might be appropriate. So I'm looking for thoughts about the relatively high paying IT job market in SA (specifically IT Security), what large businesses are located in SA (corporate offices ideally) and the overall prospects for the next 5 to 8 years. We do not have kids, so schools aren't a big deal although we prefer a nice neighborhood with a strong sense of community. Any other general thoughts about the area would be welcome. Thanks!!
I have no idea how the property taxes are in CT but they are somewhat high here in San Antonio. I pay almost 5,000/yr in property taxes for a home valued at 218,000 just to give you an idea.

Of course there is no state income tax though.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I have no idea how the property taxes are in CT but they are somewhat high here in San Antonio. I pay almost 5,000/yr in property taxes for a home valued at 218,000 just to give you an idea.

Of course there is no state income tax though.
My taxes are about $6,000 per year. My house is worth somewhat more but keep in mind I have no trash pick-up, water or sewer, really no services that I use from the town besides plowing my street in the winter (we did have over 100 inches of snow last year).

Old 07-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin927 View Post
Check out USAA for IT positions. I work at USAA as an IT Analyst but there are definitely IT security positions as well. It is a very large company that has excellent benefits and bonus structure for employees. ComputerWorld also named USAA as the number one place to work in IT for the past two years.
I did see USAA and I have actually worked with some of their guys in my particular field. They are also in a similar business as I am....insurance! Thanks for the reminder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio