U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:49 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,583,556 times

Advertisements

So I guess the summer heat is bringing the stray cats under my deck again. Last summer a cat died in my backyard. Called the city and they told me they won't remove it from a property only from the sidewalk. So I put the dead cat in a garbage bag and on the curb like they said. Stayed there for 3 days in the July heat and you can imagine the smell. Finally, threw it in the garbage can before kids started messing with it. I saw 2 cats crawl out from under my deck last night so I decided to pour white distilled vinegar all over the place b/c I read cats hate the smell. Anyone else try this b/c I am not very trusting of this city's services and don't need anymore dead cats around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 AM

2,216 posts, read 3,985,271 times
I have not heard of the vinegar trick.

In this heat though, cat or dog, I would just leave out some water. I know your thinking "enabler" but I just can't stand to think that an animal doesn't have a way to cool down in this heat.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 AM

I am conflicted b/c I do not want a billion cats/dogs/birds/animals under my deck dying in my backyard and hanging around because there is water. On the other hand I do not like seeing animals suffer. I also was not pleased at the city's uncaring concern of a dead animal sitting on the sidewalk. I called them three times on different days to come get rid of it and nothing. The smell was awful!!! Hmm....

Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 AM

522 posts, read 990,471 times
that's unfortunate. a year or so ago my husband, while in the garage one night/early morning, had the misfortune of hearing a car speed up to hit a loose dog (collar, no tags). he opened the door in time to see the poor creature crawl onto our yard and die. he called 311 and told him the same thing. they picked it up in a few hours. did they say to put it in a bag? (though i understand why you would do that. it feels weird leaving a dead animal on the sidewalk, and so unsanitary in this heat.)

i wonder what is drawing them to your property in particular. is it just your property or the whole area that's seeing an increase in animals?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 AM

That is a very sad story about the dog. The car did not stop? That is even more sad. Yeah the lady I spoke with told me to put in on the curb b/c they would not come onto my property. I took the liberty of placing it into a hefty garbage bag because I did not want kids, or other animals, messing with it. They seem to be drawn to my property for some reason. I have a big tree and a covered deck, but so do others around me. I know they are trying to escape the heat, but why my property? I have had my fill of placing dead animals in bags and leaving them on curbs

Old 07-06-2011, 12:18 PM

11,146 posts, read 20,349,688 times
Vinegar will kill your grass...you can use it to kill grass growing in sidewalk cracks. I've heard of using cayenne pepper flakes to keep cats out of an area, but I'm not sure how safe that is.

Would it be possible to enclose the space under the deck somehow? It might be a big job depending on the size of your deck though.

Another idea is to get a dog. Even a small dog will keep most cats out of your yard.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:49 PM

522 posts, read 990,471 times
black irish, he did not see the dog get hit, only heard the car speed through and then hit the dog. our best guess is they were speeding through the neighborhood at night (surprise surprise) and didn't see the dog. they didn't bother to slowdown or stop when they hit it. it was quite upsetting to see a dog die on our lawn because of some jackass. but anyway...

i would second trying to close off the spaces animals are getting into if you can, though i am sure you probably already thought to do that. make sure there isn't a source of food and water in those areas, though i do suspect they are merely trying to get out of the heat. i might also double check for anything attracting the animals that might be poisonous. are the animals that are dying look somewhat healthy, or starved?

a dog does cut down on the amount of critters showing up in your yard, but your dog would have to be back there a lot, and the heat is just too terrible to keep any living creature out there for more than a little while (considering the problem is animals dying because of the heat). we have a german shepherd, and despite killing (much to our chagrin) many rodents, rabbits and birds, it will not completely deter them unless the dog is always present (we don't have a problem with them, we just notice that they're always around despite the dog).

i don't have anything else in mind, as most tricks are designed to deter cats from using areas as litter boxes and are not, you know, dying. i hear certain aromatics help keep cats away, like that strong vinegar, onion, lavender, etc. problem with that is it doesn't last long. i've heard others suggest leaving out one of those billy the bass singing fish things to scare away critters from certain areas.

definitely keep calling. it might even be worth stopping by acs in person to explain the problem you're having and alert them that they have not been picking up the animals you have called about. good luck with your troubles. that's a heart breaking thing to deal with.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,078,233 times
forget getting any help from the city / county / health department, etc.. I have now found at least five dead birds in my yard in the past two months. Called the city to see if there were others in the area finding dead birds or whether I should be concerned about this. Other than being told that I can in fact place the dead birds in my trash can no one would help me. They just passed me from one department and voicemail to the next.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Surely people wouldn't be speeding through a neighborhood at night???? Idiots! Well, the areas I am speaking off have no grass near them so killing grass won't be an issue. I just poured vinegar through most of the cracks on my deck then rinsed quickly with a hose. Have not seen them all day but that is not to say they aren't around. One was really fat and the other skinny so I don't think anything poisonous is around. Just think they are strays. I most likely will close it off at some point. As far as the dog I am not home enough to have one just yet. Hate to get one when I am never around. That wouldn't be fair. Worst case scenario if another animal does die on my property I think I will go down there instead of calling. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
forget getting any help from the city / county / health department, etc.. I have now found at least five dead birds in my yard in the past two months. Called the city to see if there were others in the area finding dead birds or whether I should be concerned about this. Other than being told that I can in fact place the dead birds in my trash can no one would help me. They just passed me from one department and voicemail to the next.
Yeah, I was very disappointed and pretty much experienced the same thing. That is the city for ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio