U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Status: "moving back to SA so I can rightfully post here" (set 11 days ago)

13,639 posts, read 21,897,446 times

Advertisements

But we live HERE. Where it is happening. We are talking about it HERE. Because it is happening HERE. Who cares what happens in Poughkeepsie??? I dont, but if I lived there, I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 03:53 PM

8,355 posts, read 13,176,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
But we live HERE. Where it is happening. We are talking about it HERE. Because it is happening HERE. Who cares what happens in Poughkeepsie??? I dont, but if I lived there, I would.
That's understandable, but acting like this is the only place where such things happen is beyond ridiculous! It's about as ridiculous as expecting such things not to happen in a city of this size! Much like bad driving, litter and many other curses of large populations, it's gonna happen; and for the most part it isn't as bad here as it is in other cities of comparable size!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:26 PM

418 posts, read 407,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
It helps to understand that it is not a specific to SA issue.

I've managed to drive here for a little over a year now with no fender bender or being pulled over by the police.

No small feat considering the behavior of other drivers in the area. I had a fellow fixin' to hit me head on the other day because he was engaged in an animated discussion on his cell... while driving.

Montreal Canada... I was almost head head on by someone going in reverse to escape the scene of an accident he was the cause of.

Why they run?

-DWI
-out on parole
-no insurance
-stolen vehicle
-on drugs
-(insert reason here)
-etc.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM

13,805 posts, read 18,899,056 times
So San Antonio's new motto is "We don't suck that bad and there's at least a couple other places just as crappy"
I think I'll call Julian up and see what he thinks...

I'm a news junky and watch and read it several times per day and always have no matter where I live. I've never lived in a city where people flee the scene of an accident/crime like they do here. Never! And I used to live in San Diego, which is the city right next to San Antonio on the population chart. There was crime and all sorts of other things including ghetto sections, but the majority of it was confined to specific areas. You don't want to experience it or see it? don't go to that part. Everyone knows where they are too. Just like the criminals knew that doing a crime in a place like Coronado would be met with an overwhelming force of LE that are paid to make sure nothing bad happens in their community and they took it seriously too.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,716,124 times
Well the intent of my post was not to sensationalize or say it doesn't happen anywhere else. It was simply this:
Fact is someone caused a bad accident and tried to flee the scene. Again.

I don't care what the media did or did not say. It happened. The pictures prove it and so does the police record. The media did not make this guy drive like an idiot and noone made him leave the scene.

The media did not kill someone over a video game system.
The media did not kill someone over $100 drug deal.
The media did not kill someone by running them over and fleeing.

Those are simply the facts.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,391,055 times
Default Max is correct,

This is very sad but- Rd's running commentaries are beginning to read like a bunch of static in this age of digital media.
A lot of noise and little else in the way of substance.
Michigan was a horrible place by the way......I mean really a truly, miserable, locale. Polluted, gray, overcast, dismal, rainy place with an over abundance of rusted automobiles and extremely horrid road conditions- and a lot of unemployed persons. That is in the summertime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
First, I wasn't calling you out, I was calling out your "observations."

Secondly, I was just clearly pointing out that that the facts don't support said "observations." I have just as much right to post those facts as you do your unsubstantiated "observations."

But thanks for the clarification, now I know there doesn't have to be any basis of truth in what you post!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 PM

2,662 posts, read 2,959,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Bull, this stuff happens in every major city in the country; a quick Google search showed similar incidents recently happening in Boston, Los Angeles (http://laist.com/2011/07/04/cyclist_killed_in_hit-and-run.php - broken link), Little Rock, Columbia, S.C (http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/24/1872230/troopers-seek-driver-in-hit-and.html - broken link) and even in your beloved Michigan!

It's a disgusting act but nothing unique to San Antonio. It's like the urban myth that Texas has the worst uninsured motorists rates in the country. A 2009 Insurance Research Council study showed the five states with the highest uninsured driver estimates were Mississippi (28 %), New Mexico (26 %), Tennessee (24 %), Oklahoma (24 %), and Florida (24 %). Texas was ranked 19th in the nation at 15%, and was lower than all the states that surround it sans Louisiana. It was also very close to the national average of 13.8%.

Yes, it could be much better; but falsely claiming that things are worse here than anywhere else is only going to lead some of us to actually research the issue and provide evidence to what the real truth is!
Anecdotally I know the uninsured rate for autos in Texas is not as low as 15%. The state has the number pegged at 21.65%:

Number of Uninsured Vehicles Shows Decline

Thankfully this program, TexasSure and the technology behind it, may be reducing this number.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:28 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,299,858 times
Honestly, who cares if it happens elsewhere? If it happens here and it sucks, it sucks! For real.... just because it happens everywhere else doesn't make it okay here, MajorMadMax. After all, WE live here, not everywhere else, right?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 PM

8,355 posts, read 13,176,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Anecdotally I know the uninsured rate for autos in Texas is not as low as 15%. The state has the number pegged at 21.65%:

Number of Uninsured Vehicles Shows Decline

Thankfully this program, TexasSure and the technology behind it, may be reducing this number.
It is well known that the state database is far from complete, but I still applaud it for trying to crack down on uninsured drivers.

And I am not trying to negate the fact that such things happen here, it's clearly obvious that they do; but to insinuate that such things are unique to this city or worse than most places is not only incorrect but paints us all in a bad light. Honestly, a few criminal acts and suddenly this is a horrible place to live? I thought we got rid of the constant negativity and lies when our infamous naysayer extraordinaire finally packed up and moved back to his beloved homeland...

Old 07-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Status: "moving back to SA so I can rightfully post here" (set 11 days ago)

13,639 posts, read 21,897,446 times
Where are the lies?????

Crime happens here. It's not debatable. We live here. We talk about crime HERE. Why do these threads always have to turn into pissing contests between the Chamber of Commerce vs. Anybody that disagrees with the Chamber????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio