U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:25 AM

2,216 posts, read 3,983,454 times

Advertisements

Thanks Bo. The few times I tried the Corpus forum, noone is near as chatty as they are here. lol. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 AM

905 posts, read 1,355,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Wanting to take my beach loving son to get away for a couple of days. Trying to decide between Mustang Island and Rockport. Just looking for a place to let him use (attempt) his surf board and hang out, eat some decent but not pricey seafood and enjoy mom son time before the madness of high school sets in.
So please, don't post what all you hate or how crappy you think the Texas coast is. Just tell me what you do like, recommend some restaurants or whatever!
good luck finding a place! I've called sea Gull, Sand Piper, Grand Caribbean. Port Royal, Island Retreat, just to name a few and they are booked solid for the next 3 weeks!!! My time window is July 22nd thru 27th and now I'm going to look North Padre around Gulfstream.. I will try looking again this morning....

Old 07-09-2011, 09:53 AM

I just booked thru priceline, minimum hotel. Don't really care cause I know we wont be in the room much at all. Microtel Inn $130 for the two nights, including the taxes etc. My only disappointment was it is 7 miles from the beach. Of course I'd prefer to be right there but for last minute it is what it is....

Old 07-09-2011, 10:13 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,407,291 times
You are such an awesome mom for doing that for your son. I hope he appreciates it.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Thx Matt. I know my years are numbered before he starts to want to vacation with friends and is away at college. I will do my best not to stalk him when he moves away. lol.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 PM

674 posts, read 1,617,024 times
Skip both!! Go just a little south of Mustang I. and go to North Padre Island National Seashore. I've been to MI, Rockport and Port A and NPI is my favorite!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:45 PM

What do you like about that one more than the others?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:22 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,070,615 times
There is a Best Western In Port Aransas we always go to. Kind of far from the beach but right next to a pizza place and a kart rental. Go get some bicycles. Little ones that you can dis-assemble and re-assemble easily. It is fun to ride around and no cops have ever bothered me. I don't like being out in the middle of nowhere. I like being in town.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:15 AM

81 posts, read 166,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
good luck finding a place! I've called sea Gull, Sand Piper, Grand Caribbean. Port Royal, Island Retreat, just to name a few and they are booked solid for the next 3 weeks!!! My time window is July 22nd thru 27th and now I'm going to look North Padre around Gulfstream.. I will try looking again this morning....
I just came from N. Padre island, hardly any campers which is very unusual for this time of year, don't need to look for a rental as I prefer to camp right on the beach, it's $10. bucks to get access to the beach and $8. for overnight stay, just take some good sunscreen and shade.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 AM

674 posts, read 1,617,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
What do you like about that one more than the others?
I like that it's a national park, so there are no condos, shops, etc. or excessive trash on the beach. I like that the park rangers give nature walks/talks everyday and teach you things about the sealife there. A few years back we were even lucky to see a turtle release. It's $10 entrance fee (I think gives you access for a week), or $20 for an entire year!

There is a visitor center at Malachite Beach with showers, toilets, and a convenience shop, but if you need restaurants or touristy shops you just need to exit the national seashore part and drive maybe 15 minutes. We bring what we need, and then can go to a restaurant when we leave for the day. But if you forget sunblock or need a drink, you can get that at the convenience shop, so you are not completely stranded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio