Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:41 AM

10 posts, read 12,488 times

Advertisements

I currently have several properties north of San Antonio in a very white neighborhood. Out of 60 property owners there are only 3 Hispanic owners no blacks, Asians etc.
I own 20 lots and houses and am trying to increase minority ownership in the neighborhood. My real estate agent said I could not market the properties by including in my listing statements such as, "minorities encouraged to apply"
"minorities welcome" etc. However, he did say that I could market the properties in black and Hispanic neighborhoods to try to get the word out.
Does anyone have any ideas for me on how to get the word out in the San Antonio area to minorities? Are there any advertising papers that target the black and Hispanic community? Some of the properties will be owner financed so lower income minorities should be encouraged to apply, however as previously stated my real estate agent said I could not state that in an ad and suggested I just run ads in minority areas of San Antonio.
Anyway, I hope someone can direct me in the right direction.
Thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
I could be wrong but to offer housing to just certain race(s) is not legal no matter what the purpose is.

This post smells fishy.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:03 AM

177 posts, read 356,600 times
There's just so much wrong with this post, I don't know if anyone will touch it.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,781,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepto0237 View Post
I currently have several properties north of San Antonio in a very white neighborhood. Out of 60 property owners there are only 3 Hispanic owners no blacks, Asians etc.
I own 20 lots and houses and am trying to increase minority ownership in the neighborhood. My real estate agent said I could not market the properties by including in my listing statements such as, "minorities encouraged to apply"
"minorities welcome" etc. However, he did say that I could market the properties in black and Hispanic neighborhoods to try to get the word out.
Does anyone have any ideas for me on how to get the word out in the San Antonio area to minorities? Are there any advertising papers that target the black and Hispanic community? Some of the properties will be owner financed so lower income minorities should be encouraged to apply, however as previously stated my real estate agent said I could not state that in an ad and suggested I just run ads in minority areas of San Antonio.
Anyway, I hope someone can direct me in the right direction.
Thanks
Oh boy, I bet the current owners in the area are just going to love a hoard of low income folks (race irrelevant) moving into the neighborhood. This will just drive their property values wayyy up. Hehe.
Glad this isn't happening in the areas where I own units. Good luck with it though.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:56 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,068,103 times
Quote:
Are there any advertising papers that target the black and Hispanic community?
For the Hispanic community: La Prensa

Old 07-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
Quote:
Are there any advertising papers that target the black and Hispanic community?
San Antonio Observer - Pulse Beat of the Community - San Antonio, TX's largest African American newspaper

Old 07-22-2011, 08:05 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,709,195 times
Really, someone, including a Mod, is giving this guy direction with his request. What he is trying to do is illegal. My advice would be to follow your real estate agents advice. Why do you really care who buys your property. I'm sure the owner financing terms are great, NOT. And do they get a title policy and deed? I smell scam...

Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Really, someone, including a Mod, is giving this guy direction with his request. What he is trying to do is illegal.
It's not illegal to target advertising buys. Targeted publications like those listed above exist BECAUSE advertisers want to reach those markets.

What's illegal is to SAY that you're only willing to do business with certain groups. OP hasn't said that. Read the title of the thread. The OP wants to "market" to them. Not illegal at all.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It's not illegal to target advertising buys. Targeted publications like those listed above exist BECAUSE advertisers want to reach those markets.

What's illegal is to SAY that you're only willing to do business with certain groups. OP hasn't said that. Read the title of the thread. The OP wants to "market" to them. Not illegal at all.
The title of OP's post is "Where to I find low income blacks in San Antonio in order to market home ownership?" Which is targeting of a specific group.

The title of the post does not reflect the body of the post at all. That is why I said it smells fishy.

Either way, the OP is getting the feedback he/she wanted I am sure.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 AM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
Sorry, Bo - but I disagree. His stated intent is to give preference to minorities - and I suspect there's an ulterior motive IF the story is even true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: