U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-23-2012, 01:28 PM

5,567 posts, read 9,500,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I don't agree with how they treat their employees as discussed in another thread or their business practices such as paying different starting wages at different sides of town. But with 70 locations, it is hard to argue their success.
Dude, it's minimum wage. It's a ladder system in America. You start somewhere. You won't be there forever unless you don't work on improving yourself. It's a ladder system..work your way up. Minimum wage is fine how it is. No need to keep raising it and affecting food prices.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 01:34 PM

2,892 posts, read 2,403,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
Dude, it's minimum wage. It's a ladder system in America. You start somewhere. You won't be there forever unless you don't work on improving yourself. It's a ladder system..work your way up. Minimum wage is fine how it is. No need to keep raising it and affecting food prices.
Dude....

I think his point was over the differences between wages based on different locations within San Antonio.

That said, Bill Miller's has usually paid above min. wage from what I understand. Not much higher, but still higher than min. wage.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:44 PM

5,567 posts, read 9,500,934 times
Roger that, thanks for clarification.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM

2,892 posts, read 2,403,026 times
No problem dude.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 AM

1,627 posts, read 2,369,970 times
I am currently boycotting BM and may be done for good. I have dined there for over 40 years and enjoy it, even consider it a "comfort food". But after many years of shrinking portions and quality, plus constantly inflated prices, it is no longer an affordable alternative to "real" BBQ places. The first "flare" was when they started charging for tea refills PURCHASED and DRANK in the restaurant, I'm not even talking about the orange cups. The plates continue to rise in price, the 3 meat is now OVER $10, not with ribs either. The plumb, juicy sausage has been replaced with mealy idontknow what, and bbq chicken pieces are tiny and dry. The chop sandwich is now a joke, with a tiny spoonful of meat that does not come near to the sides of the bun, plus it's almost TWO DOLLARS now. The buns for the chop and poorboy are baked much smaller now, and they removed the rolls and pickle spears from the condiment bars. The worst for me is the 1/5th filled tiny styro container of sauce they give you for togos, not even enough for cover a bite. They usually "fill it up" on request but recently have begun to fight and try to charge almost $2 for it! Charging for ketchup next perhaps? My last visit ended with a 20 min debate with the manager who refused to budge and called the dist manager for an "ok" on giving me a full sauce! I spoke to the dm myself, who of course told him to fill it up n/c, but at this point I've pretty well had it. If the profit margins are really that close, they should just close down, instead for slowly running this loved SA institution into the dust...

Old 04-27-2012, 11:24 AM

1,040 posts, read 563,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
If the profit margins are really that close, they should just close down, instead for slowly running this loved SA institution into the dust...
This is nothing new, even when I worked there back in the 80's. Unless the customer specified extra lean brisket, the manager told me to leave a thin layer of fat on all brisket orders. Not sure how is it today, but there was a lot of waste when I worked there. If there were any excess fried chicken, BBQ chicken, or ribs at the end of the day, it would be thrown in the garbage! Even if the manager lowered the price, a good amount of food would be discarded. Seems to me a homless shelter would welcome food that was freshly prepared.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,861,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
Seems to me a homless shelter would welcome food that was freshly prepared.

I know this is OT, but shelters cant accept pre-cooked food.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:07 PM

1,700 posts, read 2,478,985 times
Quote:
The first "flare" was when they started charging for tea refills PURCHASED and DRANK in the restaurant, I'm not even talking about the orange cups.
I've been a faily regular patron of multiple local Bill Miller locations, and have ALWAYS been charged for tea refills, going back as many years as I can remember. The exception is on those few occasions when they are having a "free refill" promotion.
Quote:
...and they removed the rolls and pickle spears from the condiment bars.
Unless this is something they implemented within the last week, I don't think I've ever visted one of their restaurants when they didn't have pickles, onions, and rolls on the condiment bar.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 PM

261 posts, read 241,005 times
I agree, Bill Millers has never been a fav. Many other better and nicer places. I also don't understand all the fuzz of the Los Barrios chain. Nasty food, IMO. But different story for a different "thread."

Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 PM

237 posts, read 409,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
Actually, I eat at Bill Millers because it's HEALTHIER than most places. As a matter of fact, I'd go so far as to say that it is probably some of the healthiest you can eat in terms of lowering your chance of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.....as long as you don't eat too many carbs and don't drink the sweet tea.

Load up on the fatty foods. It's what our ancestors ate:

"Experiments over the last decade have demonstrated that people who eat as much as they want of fatty-foods, even foods rich in saturated fat like butter and lard and eggs, lose weight and improve their heart disease risk factors."
You make a good point there. When I got up to 190 lbs and couldn't find a way to lose weight even though I had been exercising, I went on a low-carb diet and mostly ate eggs, good veggies and meats with lots of good full-fat mayos and olive oil, cut carbs to less then 20 g/day and then eventually 100/g day... within a few months I dropped my weight to 162 (which I had not weighed in over 10 years). In addition, my cholesterol levels dropped quite a bit and my doctor was really impressed with the results (surprised even me given the amount of meat I had been eating on a daily basis). My parents did the same diet and I was really impressed with the results.

So having said that! Places like Bill Miller are good if you are on a low-carb diet, just avoid their sweetened tea and rolls and tortillas, I would sometimes drop in just to eat a plate of turkey. But I will hand it to them... what I like most about Bill Miller is their breakfast brisket tacos and their hot sauce, which is really delicious... I'm married to a Mexican and lived in central Mexico, and can say that the hot sauce at Bill Miller (at least at the one by my house, 1604 and Babcock) is really good and spicy and not for your typical gringo. Their brisket tacos are my downfall and one of the few times I let myself eat flour tortillas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio