U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,583,747 times

Advertisements

I don't even answer my door anymore. Last time I did it was some guy from Valvoline trying to get me to get a full service oil change. I told him I change my own oil and he left all pissy. Also helps that I have a peephole in my door. If it rings and I am on the couch I just ignore it and they leave. I have also had those types come to the house around 9pm. Really, 9?!?! Cmon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 PM

418 posts, read 688,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordfalco View Post
Seriously...these people have come by my home 6 times in as many months, that's ridiclious. What are they hoping for when they bother people that much????
There is a no soliciting sign on the door at the office... which is actually a secure data center.

Folks cannot read and still enter and go around searching for someone to peddle their stuff to. No no no... if we want it we will come to you.

Electrolux sales people are the same. Well, at least in Canada. The come around several times a year if they think you need a new vacuum and put on the high pressure sales technique.

I suppose I'm cruel... but I like to start by telling them I am not interested. They still want to do the sales pitch. So I let them have at it... sometimes they go for 1/2 hour. After that I repeat... not interested.

Then some of them get upset... well, I said at the outset I was not interested. What part of that did you not understand?

Old 07-13-2011, 05:00 PM

359 posts, read 710,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Are you in the city limits of San Antonio, by any chance? If so, I believe an ordinance was passed a few months ago that makes it a violation for anyone to call upon a resident in person, for the purpose of soliciting commercial products or services, at any residence that has a "No Soliciting" sign posted at the front door.

Do you have such a sign by your door?
Reminds me of a company I worked for a few years ago. They were trying to get some business in San Antonio, and sent their marketing guy here to train me how to solicit business. He took me to commercial office buildings in town and basically went to the management offices and tried to sell them on our services. Most of these buildings had "No Soliciting" signs posted at the entrance. When I pointed that out to him he just laughed and basically said to just ignore them; the most they could do is tell us to leave. I was supposed to keep going to different buildings peddling our services after he left, but I never did. I have never been a salesman, and have too much respect for peoples privacy and wishes.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:12 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,018,114 times
Back in 1971, I sold Fuller Brush products door to door. I found I almost always made a good sale at houses that had No Solicitors signs. They had the least sales resistance.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,943,277 times
I usually don't open the door. If I do open the door, it's simply to say, "No, thank you". Then I shut the door.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:01 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,168,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
I don't even answer my door anymore. Last time I did it was some guy from Valvoline trying to get me to get a full service oil change. I told him I change my own oil and he left all pissy. Also helps that I have a peephole in my door. If it rings and I am on the couch I just ignore it and they leave. I have also had those types come to the house around 9pm. Really, 9?!?! Cmon!
I agree wholeheartedly with not opening the door when a stranger comes calling. However, it might be best to respond in some way, for example, by yelling "we don't want any", or something like that, from inside the house.

The reason I say that, is because it has become apparent to me that some individuals will take a "no response" to mean "nobody home", and at that, proceed to break in. They may dismiss noises or voices emanating from inside the residence, if they can't establish two-way dialog with someone inside.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:19 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,799,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordfalco View Post
Seriously...these people have come by my home 6 times in as many months, that's ridiclious. What are they hoping for when they bother people that much????
first time one of those *******s came by is when I just bought my dyson...hahaha

Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,354,034 times
We have owned three homes in San Antonio and in some repects I guess we've been lucky when it comes to Kirby Salespersons. I grew up in California, pretty much in the country. Salesmen were few and far between although a Kirby Man stopped by one Summer Day. Something must have been right with his sales pitch....my Mom and Dad bought one with every darn attachment known to man. We had everything from a Carpet Shampoo attachment to a Grinder to some sort of Massage attachment.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:33 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,583,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with not opening the door when a stranger comes calling. However, it might be best to respond in some way, for example, by yelling "we don't want any", or something like that, from inside the house.

The reason I say that, is because it has become apparent to me that some individuals will take a "no response" to mean "nobody home", and at that, proceed to break in. They may dismiss noises or voices emanating from inside the residence, if they can't establish two-way dialog with someone inside.
True. However, if anyone decides to come on in they'll be met with my fist then firearm. Or firearm then fist.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 AM

246 posts, read 618,288 times
Ah, yes, the Kirby sales person. I remember a team of 2 people came and gave a demonstration to us just a month or so after we moved into our brand new home. They priced the machine at around $2,000, I believe. The demonstration lasted well over an hour. The kid was very insistent with me, and when he saw I wasn't going to budge he gave me a big sad puppy face saying that if I bought this Kirby then he would meet his sales quota and get a trip to Hawaii!!! Ha ha ha ha ha. I laughed at him and asked why in the world I would want to send HIM to Hawaii if I had never even been there, and $2,000 was way too much for a vacuum. I did get a free little silver plate as they promised though for putting up with the demonstration. They huffed and puffed their way out of my house though, not too friendly when they left.

I later bought a Dyson and have been happy with it ever since. My neighbors across the street got the same Kirby demonstration and they knocked the price down to $1,000!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio