Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,421 times

Advertisements

siding with the owners? who pretty much signed these dogs' death sentences?

that's a good one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 06:35 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,863 times
Sorry about your situation. The first thing to do is contact your insurance company. Keep all your expenses listed (even travel to and from ACS, any time you've taken off work, time you've spent handling this issue, etc). Let your insurance company contact the neighbor. If they have insurance -- and their insurance covers dog bites -- let the two companies work it out. Your insurance company will hire a lawyer to represent you, if necessary.

Are these neighbors renters? If so, another option is to contact the landlord. Landlords, in general, have a lot more to lose than the renters, and they probably have insurance of some type.

I'd keep copies of every piece of paper, as record of your complaint. I wish you all the best. This is no fun for you or your family.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,197 times
Which school is nearby?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:42 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
Yes, you need to make sure the information gets to their insurance company. They will most likely lose their insurance due to this incident and it will be hard to obtain other insurance especially if you file a lawsuit--which you should. We had to ask people about dog types and refer certain breeds to underwriting at USAA. Forget the "one free bite" rule there, insurance companies don't want to deal with the situation the state allows. I'm ultra-conservative but this law against restricting certain breeds is insane considering the number of children killed in SA alone.

I'm disheartened to say the least as we just had 2 dogs run in our yard after my child and I was thinking of filing a complaint. Since they didn't actually actually bite my child, just scare him to death before he managed to run inside, I guess they wouldn't do much of anything. Anyone know what they will do to us if the dogs come after my kids again and we hurt the dogs (or worse)? We've talked to the owner about letting his dogs out because they come into my yard and go after my kids but it happened again AFTER the talk--my son was nowhere near the dogs but they heard him and came running and growling. They were between me and him but fortunately he was by the door and got inside when one started advancing on him. I got away when the teenage daughter finally wrestled the dogs out of our yard.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:25 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
I love dogs, too but the only way to handle an aggressive dog that is running at you in attack mode is to punt the head like a football (and I do mean to punt it as hard as possible).

I think it's a shame that people are arguing over who is to blame, it is clearly the responsibility of the dog owners. There is something called the order of species. The dogs do not own or take care of the people, it is the other way around. This is a huge issue in San Antonio because the culture here isn't really based on the values and principals that some of us were raised with. Things such as respecting your neighbor, taking care of things when you are responsible for the incident, etc.

I'm not sure if it is the culture or the way that people treat each other here on City Data that has me job searching elsewhere (probably a little of both). One day y'all will hopefully realize that everyone is in the same boat and work together to keep it afloat rather than dissing each other.

And since the authorities won't handle this the way they should, clearly this is something that will have to be dealt with by either insurance companies and/or civil court.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:25 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
so the breed attacked or a few dogs with an idiot owner did? Not sure why it's so hard to differentiate between the two when it's amazingly obvious. Probably has something to do with not so bright people, like a vet that would say a chow is guaranteed to bite someone. I had mine for over 13 years and she never bit anyone and that includes the 4 much smaller dogs and two cats she lived with during her life. My kids grew up around her and my granddaughter loved to pet her. She was just a big ball of fur that wouldn't hurt a fly. Now my chihuahuas.. those are some aggressive dogs there.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 AM

9 posts, read 14,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Which school is nearby?
Long's Creek Elementary School is directly across the street and 2 blocks down is Madison High School. A lot of kids from the elementary and high school have to walk pass this particular house own their way to school.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:47 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
They have to walk past that house on their way to school? The owners should be fined. Somebody wasn't doing their job. Imagine that.

Last edited by HillCountryHotRodMan; 07-13-2011 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 12:08 PM

330 posts, read 587,567 times
Yikes, my mom lives in Long's Creek, and you're right- tons of kids walk to and from those schools. I definitely think alerting the school and maybe the HOA is a good idea. Hope you and your doggies are on the mend.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
gee, you're calling me a ludicrous fool? We could get into a contest to see who better resembles that statement, but you already won that one...
Yes, blame the helpless family just taking a walk, why don't ya?! I sure hope someone you care about doesn't get attacked. I find it very hard to believe you would be willing to say, "yes, it did attack my 10 year-old child and put him in the emergency room right now...but that doggie is oh-so-cute and cuddly...please let it live...please don't put it down!"

Moderator cut: off topic/personal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio