Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
This forum sure does help explain why there are so many special people in SA...
Yup, you are correct, special people who care.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,804 times
Quote:
The owners neglect, the owner failed, the owner, the owner, the owner.. so put down the dog. It's like people can't even do simple math. Read all these posts about the different incidents and it keeps coming back to the owner, but the solution is to kill the dog. A few get it, but too many are just having serious issues with basic logic. This is like something you would test the IQ of a 5 year old with..

It's definitely hard being an animal lover around these parts.
while i do agree that the owner is more at fault, the dogs have been taught how to act and rehabilitation for them is something that the owners likely wont pay for, so in all reality, the pooches probably should be put down.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2payton View Post
I'm dealing with my own pain from where they attacked me, but I'm going down to ACS today to talk to them in person and I'm bring along all my gory pictures of the wounds. I can't get any answers on the phone and they keep saying they can't do anything about a "bite". As if all those dogs did was nip us.
Did you see a doctor for your own injuries? Animal bites get infected pretty easily, because the shape of the tooth helps to pack bacteria into the wound. If the bite is getting more painful, chances are there's some infection inside. I know you're busy taking care of your poor doggies and trying to make sure your neighborhood is safe for kids walking to school, but don't forget to take care of yourself.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:26 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,503 times
Quote:
The owners neglect, the owner failed, the owner, the owner, the owner.. so put down the dog. It's like people can't even do simple math. Read all these posts about the different incidents and it keeps coming back to the owner, but the solution is to kill the dog. A few get it, but too many are just having serious issues with basic logic. This is like something you would test the IQ of a 5 year old with..

It's definitely hard being an animal lover around these parts.
i don't know what's best for this situation since it hasn't been addressed or investigated, but it always bugs me when the first response to anything a dog does wrong is "put it down". it's the same kind of band-aid solution a lot of folks want to use with the over population problem. round them up and destroy them. well, that doesn't really solve anything does it? the dogs have been swept away but you haven't really cured the source of the hemorrhage; a population that doesn't give a lickspit about animal welfare.

i don't want my support of dogs to seem like i'm unsympathetic to these situations or am being unrealistic. these are quite serious scenerios. it's situations like this that make dogs in this city look bad and add to it's mounting loose animal problems, and by effect, add to the over all ignorance. people will continue to misuse and mishandle and not give a fark about their pets when it's not addressed, and the rest will look for easy solutions to a broader problem.

(note: this isn't directed at any of the cd users responses, just my own general observation.)

edit: it also makes me wonder if those dogs were intact and if they had a permit for that.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:29 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2payton View Post
I need your help, San Antonio. On Sunday morning, my husband and I were walking our dogs on leashes when we were attacked by 3 rottweilers. They broke thru their owners 6 ft tall wooden fence (busted right thru the planks) as we were walking by. They attacked us and our dogs and no matter how many times we kicked them and screamed they would not stop. Luckily some people stopped and with their help we were able to scare the dogs away. I ended getting puntures on my thigh while 2 of my dogs were seriously injured, 1 needing stitches and the other required 2 surgeries.

I did file a police report and animal control "quarantined" 2 of the 3 dogs but I was told yesterday that they will be returned to the owner after 10 days if they didn't have rabies. WTF? What about the fact that they mauled us and ripped my dogs hindquarters to bits? Let me also point out that these people live directly across from an elementary school and children have to walk by their yard every day. What more can I do? I don't want these dogs returned to their owners, but ACS is saying they can't put them down. Help!
You should contact an attorney and sue the dog owner and property owner for medical and punitive damages and insist the dogs be put down as part of the settlement. I know another couple that this happened to and they received a significant settlement.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
Quote:
know another couple that this happened to and they received a significant settlement.
Hopefully the dogs got put down as part of the settlement. No reason for those dogs to exist if they pose a danger to others existence.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:36 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
Yes! Please sue them and hopefully it will ruin their lives, the way they ruined the lives of these dogs. The dog's only crime was being born. Everything that happened to them after that is our fault.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 14,406 times
I want to make it clear. I am a dog lover. My husband in fact picks up strays all the time and we foster them out to homes of loving caring owners (in fact we had two of our fosters with us while we were being attacked.) But let me give a few more tidbits on this

1. The dogs were intact.
2. There was a slot on the fence that was open and had been open for about a weeks time (we take this walk everyday) and it is that hole in the fence that they busted through.
3. The dogs never gave us a chance at all they just attacked (a normal dog would sniff or try to play)
4. The owners did come out and offer to pay the bills (The owners did infact pay for the intital consultation at the emergency hospital) but when it came time to pay the next day for my dogs leg to be closed up and to have a two drainage pipes inserted into her leg (which will require a third surgery) they declined to pay for anything. They did not pay for my intial visit to the doctor as well. (And i have to go back to the doctor as I'm having pain in my knee which was the general area where i was bitten and they are not paying for that.
5. It is a fact that kids and familys walk by this fence every day to go to school and to go home from school. Infact it is not uncommon for parents to bring their dogs with them to go pick the kids up. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Now let me interject my own thoughts in to what some posters are saying about it not being the dogs fault so why should it be put down?

I actually agree with the logic of this statement but i dont think that it is a practical solution considering the ramfications of the issue. To be more direct i do not think that dogs are born to kill or attack. I do agree that owners make them this way. But if that owner is going to get those dogs back in a weeks time and those dogs have attacked other animals and humans. And there is a HIGH chance of it happening again with more severe results. Then you must put the animals down for the saftey of the population as a whole. I do not see this as an extreme positon at all and in fact i think it is the common sense correct solution.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:15 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
I'm in complete agreement, as long as the owner is put down too.. and that's where the problem usually begins. I have a much higher regard for an animal's life than I do for most adult humans. We're mostly evil and they are always innocent until corrupted.
Watch a couple episodes of The Dog Whisperer and you'll know that every dog can be "fixed" and the cure is changing the owners behavior 99% of the time..

Old 07-12-2011, 03:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You should contact an attorney and sue the dog owner and property owner for medical and punitive damages and insist the dogs be put down as part of the settlement. I know another couple that this happened to and they received a significant settlement.
P.S. Most property owners insurance includes some liability coverage for injuries such as this, so chances are good you will be able to collect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio