U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:22 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,796,030 times

Advertisements

Looks pretty healthy to me!

This is probably the one of the best cities to live in right now thats not suffering from a bad economy. disagree?, lets hear it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,075,328 times
I don't disagree, and think that the crowded restaurants throughout the city as well as how busy the major shopping out lets seem are testimony to how well things are here. Some people complain, but there are numerous indicators to the otherwise. There are still some people out of work, and businesses that are going under; but that's typical of any place no matter what the economy.

I was surprised at the number of closed restaurants when I was up in Colorado Springs a few weeks ago, as otherwise their economy seems to be doing pretty good...

On the other hand, there does seem to be a greater number of houses on the market than usual. Of course, the collapse of that market is what drove the nationwide downturn, so it should be expected that there are signs of it everywhere...

Old 07-17-2011, 09:12 AM

270 posts, read 841,672 times
shhhh! don't let the secret out!!!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:35 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,796,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

I was surprised at the number of closed restaurants when I was up in Colorado Springs a few weeks ago, as otherwise their economy seems to be doing pretty good...
love colorado spring! love colorado.

I wish this area looked like that

Old 07-17-2011, 02:30 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,978,006 times
from driving by shops and restaurants the economy looks healthy, however after having been on the end of hubby being unemployed for a year the economy stinks. Not alot of growth in the way of employment. To me thats the true sign of a good economy.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 PM

21 posts, read 33,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
Looks pretty healthy to me!

This is probably the one of the best cities to live in right now thats not suffering from a bad economy. disagree?, lets hear it
It might be quite an ideal economy if you are a civil servant or restaurant employee, but San Antonio remains one of the poorest metro areas in the country and the poorest of the "big 4" in Texas by a large margin. The average individual in San Antonio makes 20% less than the average person in Austin. The overall economy of the San Antonio area is barely 1/5th the size of Houston's and is growing far slower. It remains a comparatively less diversified and productive city that relies far too much on the parasitic elements of government workers and associated government contractors - industries that destroy wealth rather than create it.

Please don't counter with the "houses are more expensive in Austin" arguement - taken to its logical yet absurd conclusion, you could make a case for both San Antonio and Mogadishu having better economies based on lower real estate prices. I am also not interested in whatever drivel Forbes has published recently about "boomtowns" or hot job markets.

There is plenty wrong with San Antonio's economy, especially if you plan on making more than $50k a year. On the bright side, it is quite better than most cities in Florida or Michigan!

Old 07-17-2011, 03:21 PM

5,604 posts, read 6,384,238 times
Using the number of people eating out in San Antonio should not be used to determined the status of San Antonio's economy.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:20 PM

155 posts, read 328,852 times

Old 07-17-2011, 10:25 PM

6,995 posts, read 10,209,329 times
Our economy is great right now compared to many other large cities; but it is very much geared toward government/contractors, construction, hospitality/tourism, medicine, and call centers. The high paying jobs seem to be concentrated in government and medicine unless you can manage to get into management in the other sectors. Hopefully, the education in this city can keep up with the growing biotech and computer technology sectors and the shale project south of us is bringing in high paying jobs. I know some people are concerned about the environmental issues though.

The issue I have is that most of the growth is concentrated on the NW side. The Eagle Ford shale project should help bring more growth to the south side, but other parts of town are deteriorating. The new councilman of district 10 campaigned on revitalizing the area which has businesses shutting down left and right. I hope he can do something considering that he was apart of revitalizing Austin Hwy (although with Walmart and fast food restaurants). I applaud Windcrest for revitalizing Walzem, but the city of San Antonio needs to do its part for the rest of the NE and east sides. The AT&T Center only brought a bunch of Argus jobs that pay minimum wage. I posted an article on here before on how the City of San Antonio has spent millions attracting call centers to the NW side.

How come we have to settle for the $7.25-9 an hour jobs at grocery stores and restaurants. How come we can't get the $10-13 an hour call center jobs that are concentrated on the NW side?

Last edited by L210; 07-17-2011 at 10:37 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 10:29 PM

440 posts, read 789,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuul View Post
It might be quite an ideal economy if you are a civil servant or restaurant employee, but San Antonio remains one of the poorest metro areas in the country and the poorest of the "big 4" in Texas by a large margin. The average individual in San Antonio makes 20% less than the average person in Austin. The overall economy of the San Antonio area is barely 1/5th the size of Houston's and is growing far slower. It remains a comparatively less diversified and productive city that relies far too much on the parasitic elements of government workers and associated government contractors - industries that destroy wealth rather than create it.

Please don't counter with the "houses are more expensive in Austin" arguement - taken to its logical yet absurd conclusion, you could make a case for both San Antonio and Mogadishu having better economies based on lower real estate prices. I am also not interested in whatever drivel Forbes has published recently about "boomtowns" or hot job markets.

There is plenty wrong with San Antonio's economy, especially if you plan on making more than $50k a year. On the bright side, it is quite better than most cities in Florida or Michigan!
This is too funny. I believe the average median income in SA is almost or about the same as Houston. SA has made great improvements compared to the last century and continues to lure high paying jobs. And don't give me that b/s about the call center that have been announced in prior months. These types of jobs are good for people attending college or recent grads from high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio