U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 AM

548 posts, read 1,049,578 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate references for someone that paints the exterior of houses?
I'm not looking just for names, but a good reference by someone that has actually used the painters or knows someone that has used them.
OR maybe a warning of who not to use.
You can DM me if you would rather not post the info.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:45 AM

5,621 posts, read 13,055,406 times
I think you might already be off to a bad start. You're not any different than most home owners that have no clue who or what about exterior painting. You need to make a plan and take the time to come up with specs that fits your needs. If you just want a cheap job, most any dimwit with a spray rig can do that. But if you want a good job, a spray rig will never show up on your job. Exterior paints are a plastic, soap, and water with colorants of some type. What's important to you is the DRY film thickness. This is what is left on the house AFTER it dries. You can take the same paint and get varied results just from application. Figure dry film for a spray job at .5mm. A roller job at 1.0-1.5mm, and a brush job at 1.75-2.25mm. So a 2 coat spray is still a less quality job than a single brush coat, if you follow the math. The above numbers are in consideration of a quality paint. Cheap paints just have more water in them and less plastic emulsions. What are your expectations from the paint? There are all types of exterior paints and you need to specify what you want. There are various ones now that are warrantied for life but they come with restrictions on the warranty.

The surface prep is everything to quality job. If the current paint coating has adhesion issues, it MUST removed and a quality primer put on first. Failure to do this will result in the current coating to still peel taking the new paint with it. If the house has exposed wood that has turned grey, it must be primed with an oil base primer only or expect it to peel.

Caulk. Now here's a touchy subject. The warranty on most caulks of the 35 year type requires you keep the empty tubes to turn in on a warranty claim. Nobody is going to that. So make sure you specify a quality caulk. I'd avoid anything with the DAP name on it. I've never had it last over 5 years, and that's their best. I've found White Lightning 3006 to be a good long life caulk. Avoid any clear caulks as they have no UV protection and don't last. If the caulk on the house is loose, missing, or chipped, you need to specify to have it removed and redone, finger smoothed at all joints.

Another issue most home owners are not aware of is the finish makes a major difference in the life of the paint. A flat finish will not last near as long as a gloss finish. A gloss finish will also stay cleaner longer and look newer longer.

Color makes a difference in paint life as well. Avoid any deep colors. Most paints now come as a white, white base, midtone base, deep base, and neutral base. Avoid any colors that use the deep and neutral bases. Those require a lot of colorant, don't cover well, and are subject to more fade. Avoid any colors with red as part of the formulation. Red is the only color that evaporates. Yeah, I know, doesn't sound right but research it yerself, red evaporates. It will not stay in color long before it fades. There are some red oxide colorants though that are color stable but they look more maroon or burnt red as a colorant.

Avoid any acrylic stains. When I was making paints, we laughed at who would be stupid enough to actually buy this stuff. Well, advertising works apparently as it's a major seller now. Acrylic stains are nothing more than watered down paint. You can save a ton of money by buying one gallon of quality paint in the right color, add 2 gallons of water and VIOLA-acrylic stain. Yeah, it's really that dumb, but the general public doesn't have a clue and the corporate beancounters have made a hefty money pit out of it.

What I'd suggest is to research paints and pick a brand and a line. Their website should have a pdf telling exactly about surface prep and application. make it part of your specs for your job. Don't assume because anybody is recommended to you that the job will be done right. The guy you got the recommendation from may be just as clueless as you and wouldn't know a good job if it hit him.

I hit on the absolute peaks of what it takes to get a good paint job. There's not enough bandwidth here for me to explain it all. Do the research, make a set of specs so that all of the contractors you ask for quotes are bidding on the same thing- brand of paint, line of paint, finish, brand and line of caulk, how many coats, application method, etc. Make sure they have insurance in case anybody gets hurt on the job or expect to be sued. Do not put any up front money down on the job. If the guy wants you to buy the paint, look for someone else or expect a lot of paint to walk off. You're looking for someone that will come in, do a good quality job using good quality materials and be paid on completion. Anything else is opening yourself up to issues.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You're looking for someone that will come in, do a good quality job using good quality materials and be paid on completion. Anything else is opening yourself up to issues.
That is exactly what I had in mind, and I most certainly will do that.

Thank you TrapperL, for taking the time to post all that important information to enlighten me.
I feel I'm a little bit wiser now concerning choosing someone to do the job.
However, in addition to that, ... I would still appreciate any good references or warnings as to who to avoid ....by someone who has "been there, done that"

Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 AM

Hmm.... No referals yet....
I guess all the folks on this forum must live in new houses that haven't needed painting yet or in all brick houses that only need trim painted.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:12 AM

6,277 posts, read 9,045,226 times
Or.....maybe they simply don't have anyone they liked/disliked enough! Many folks do their own, simply because they want to ensure that the job is done to THEIR satisfaction.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:50 AM

5,632 posts, read 6,450,230 times
I really liked the job the contractor did when he painted my house. He throughly stripped, sanded, powerwashed, primered and then painted my house. He was not cheap but my paint is still holding up after 4 years. It still looks new in fact.

I would refer him but he isn't in San Antonio now.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
That is exactly what I had in mind, and I most certainly will do that.
Thank you TrapperL, for taking the time to post all that important information to enlighten me.
I feel I'm a little bit wiser now concerning choosing someone to do the job.
Hi everyone,
After the great advise I've received (Thank you TrapperL)
And after waiting for the intense heat to come down a notch or two, the time has come to start the process of interviewing some prospective Painters.
Now I'm not sure where to begin........
"Craig's List" ?
"Angie's List" ?
Or maybe ask at a Paint Store if they have a "list of painters". (not sure if they do or not ?)
Any other suggestions ?
Thanks in advance for opinions and suggestions.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio