U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:19 AM

381 posts, read 662,624 times

Advertisements

I have been here in San Antonio for a little more than a month and I like it, but there are a couple of things that are bothering me.
First is the weather. It's freaking hot and humid here. The second thing is that the playgrounds at the parks here for the kids suck here. I went to a couple of malls and only one of them had a tiny playground(which was old and dirty). I asked why they didn't have a playground at the north star mall, and the lady at the help desk didn't know what to say.
At least the houses and condos are cheap, and rent too.
The only things I miss from LA is the perfect weather, the cool parks, and the cool playgrounds at the malls over there, and the family of course. What I don't miss is the crazy expensive cost of living and the high taxes.
Has any one moved here recently? I still would recommend moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
Welcome - and remember, things like parks cost $$$ - which translates into higher prices (at retail establishments) or taxes (at public facilities). Can't have it both ways, unfortunately. Personally, I'd never dream of leaving a child at a mall play area - but to each their own.

Once you're settled in, look at apartments with nice playground/common areas, or even buy a place and build your own dream play area!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,409,375 times
Default What about ?

Do you miss that L.A. traffic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
I have been here in San Antonio for a little more than a month and I like it, but there are a couple of things that are bothering me.
First is the weather. It's freaking hot and humid here. The second thing is that the playgrounds at the parks here for the kids suck here. I went to a couple of malls and only one of them had a tiny playground(which was old and dirty). I asked why they didn't have a playground at the north star mall, and the lady at the help desk didn't know what to say.
At least the houses and condos are cheap, and rent too.
The only things I miss from LA is the perfect weather, the cool parks, and the cool playgrounds at the malls over there, and the family of course. What I don't miss is the crazy expensive cost of living and the high taxes.
Has any one moved here recently? I still would recommend moving here.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Welcome - and remember, things like parks cost $$$ - which translates into higher prices (at retail establishments) or taxes (at public facilities). Can't have it both ways, unfortunately. Personally, I'd never dream of leaving a child at a mall play area - but to each their own.

Once you're settled in, look at apartments with nice playground/common areas, or even buy a place and build your own dream play area!
Believe me, I never keep my eye off my kid. I would never leave alone anywhere. I guess you are right about the playground thing and taxes.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,445,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Personally, I'd never dream of leaving a child at a mall play area - but to each their own.
I don't think anyone leaves their kids alone in the area, at least that I have seen. There is a sign there that says not to leave kids unattended. Some of the play areas have an area inside of them for the parents/guardians to sit while the kids play.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 AM

583 posts, read 1,005,125 times
You may want to checkout these places for your child to play indoors. They aren't free but look like fun. I don't have children but if I did ....

Funtastic Playland, San Antonio's Ultimate Party and Play Destination!

H-E-B Science Treehouse Exhibit

Museum Info :: San Antonio Children's Museum

Old 07-19-2011, 09:12 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,445,041 times
I'm not a kid anymore but I love the HEB Treehouse!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Lol, I don't miss the LA traffic one bit.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 AM

418 posts, read 687,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
It's freaking hot and humid here.
I'm from Canada so you can imagine what a dramatic difference I
found with the weather here in Texas.

However, I adjusted and now find 70 degrees cold.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
I'm from Canada so you can imagine what a dramatic difference I
found with the weather here in Texas.

However, I adjusted and now find 70 degrees cold.
Wow, that is a dramatic change! I'm glad it is working out for you. Talk about an inspiration . I was wondering why did you move? Do you like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or