Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:30 AM

944 posts, read 2,032,722 times

Advertisements

Not sure why people pay shipping on Amazon for books. As long as your total order is over $25 and everything in it qualifies for "FREE Super Saver Shipping" (which is every book I've ever looked at), it ships free, if slowly. That's normal for everyone, no Amazon Prime necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 AM

7 posts, read 14,150 times
I used to love Bookstop (off 10) when I was a kid but yeah I only remember Walden's inside Ingram, not many others.

I prefer Amazon but I love going to Barnes for their clearance books. I spend over $100 a month just looking through that section. But ever since they moved it to La Cantera I haven't shopped there. I also stopped shopping at Borders in like '04 and I refuse to shop at Half Price books. Hipster douches only give you $1 for each book you sell them. And they overcharge. You can get a used book on Amazon for less than $1. If you have Prime you get free 2 day shipping so there's no need to go to them. It will suck to no longer have bookstores around I can't see the point when you have Amazon (fun fact the CEO of Amazon owns 25,000 acres of land in Cotulla, TX).

Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
The express-news is reporting that booksamillion is interested in taking over the quarry location. They are specifically NOT wanting the forum and hubner oaks where the liquidation sales will be ongoing.
Today's front page story says that deal with BAM has fallen through. The Quarry location will close, too.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:33 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,769,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Today's front page story says that deal with BAM has fallen through. The Quarry location will close, too.
I saw that and was wondering why the Quarry didn't want it. I figure maybe it's because the Quarry (as well as Huebner Oaks and others) are "upscale" places that only want certain kinds of tenants. I've never been to Booksamillion, but it sounds like sort of a bargain store. I have no idea if it is.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:46 PM

392 posts, read 745,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I saw that and was wondering why the Quarry didn't want it. I figure maybe it's because the Quarry (as well as Huebner Oaks and others) are "upscale" places that only want certain kinds of tenants. I've never been to Booksamillion, but it sounds like sort of a bargain store. I have no idea if it is.
Nah, BAM is just like Borders and B&N. They had a nice store in an upscale center in Baton Rouge that I used to frequent.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 AM

898 posts, read 2,883,271 times
books a million would have been pretty nice. I saw this clip. doesnt look like a bargain book store to me

‪Coach Chizik Book Signing‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-28-2011, 08:00 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
BAM is not a discount bookstore. They're basically the same as BN and Borders. Everyone was disappointed at the Alamo Ranch one when it opened.......no big, comfy chairs like BN, but I think that is smart on their part. These bookstores want/need to SELL books, they are not libraries. I am guilty of going to BN and just buying a cup of coffee and "borrowing" their books for an hour or so, and I think that is part of their problem. People want things for free. I've noticed less and less chairs in Barnes and Noble when I go now...I sure hope they survive. All these people losing their jobs is a bad thing!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,315,148 times
BAM is a nice store. Went to the Quarry Borders and the 40% off is very misleading. Most popular things are 10% off - which is not a great deal. Some art books, economics, etc. are 20% Not a reason to stock up.

Magazines are 40% off as they are time limited. I expect the discounts will be deeper as time goes on. But it ain't a great discount now.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:34 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,268,598 times
Of all the Gone But Not Forgotten places in SA, this one does hurt. For years, The Borders at Huebner was my fall back place for killing time. My business partner and I would always conduct serious business meetings there when we didn't want to meet in some trendy bar where you can't hear yourself think (when it was time to delve into the nitty gritty of the deal). I even met my wife here for our first date, which was a horrible disaster, and oddly the single worst date of my life. We saw Bullet-Proof Monk at the AMC across the street. Then went to Golden Wok where the waiter scored more points with her than I was able to. Things went crazily down hill from there until they went uphill.

Good-Bye old friend.

I guess we all fade away in the end.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:48 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
there was no parking to be found near the back entrance of Barnes&Noble. There were empty spaces, but they were reserved for valet parking. How dumb is that? Who valet parks their car at a mall?
Every Christmas at North Star they do that. I suppose people pressed for time, those who cannot handle looking for a space, and those who don't want to walk far valet parks their car at the mall. I kind of like walking.

Heaps of handicap spots irk me, especially if most remain empty, one or two is fine but some places go overboard, they should convert some of those into reserved parking for pregnant patrons. Then they would at least be used.

So I am still waiting for a fellow C-Der to report that all books are 50% off or more. I do not mind scavenging through titles others did not want and might even find them of greater personal interest. I also have a feeling Justin Beiber anything books would be some of the first to sell, someone mentioned that earlier, just saying lal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio