U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:01 PM

437 posts, read 776,982 times

Advertisements

I wrote this in the earlier thread on the same topic, so if you've read it please skip:

I live in Dignowity Hill (a short walk from the bridge) and am an active member of the Neighborhood Association. Here's what's really happening: on Monday evening a large majority of our membership voted in favor of the brewery proposal. At least 90% of the neighbors are in FAVOR of the brewery. The Express-News was at the association meeting, the Current may have been there too, but the TV stations weren't so they didn't witness the overwhelming support for the brewery concept. The very small group of folks in favor of the park proposal is very agitated and makes a lot of noise, but believe me when I say that they're not the majority. Many of the folks defending the park idea don't live here. A great majority of the residents would like to see a brewery come to the neighborhood.

Reading through all of your comments brought other important thoughts to keep in mind and one is that Eugene Simor already owns the land south of the bridge and he would like for it to continue to be the parking lot that it is, providing parking for the brewery; yes he's proposing to build on land that the city currently owns, 1.6 acre north of the bridge. If he doesn't get to build on that 1.6 acre, he's still planning on building on the lot he already owns, which would block the view of downtown from the bridge (think Tower of the Americas and the skyline); he would also not be able to include space for a beer garden and a restaurant.

One major argument residents made over and over at Monday's meeting was that we already have two very poorly maintained parks a block away, Dignowity Park and Lockwood Park. The city has no money to care for those parks and hasn't wanted to transfer the 1.6 acre to Parks and Rec. because there's no money for another park. I was one of a few people who met with Parks and Rec. a few weeks ago to try to do something about our existing parks, and we were told there's no money. So the residents don't want another park (a tiny 1.6 acre park), especially so close to the other two, in the middle of a cluster of warehouses, where it would be pretty easy for people who like to break the law to go hide and __________ (fill in the blank).

I'm in an interesting position as a realtor in that I sell quite a few houses here. In the past two years I've sold homes to and seen MD's, architects, teachers, and other professionals move in. As a neighborhood we've been working very hard to make Dignowity Hill a better place, starting with the tireless efforts of wonderful people who came here long before I did. The younger professionals moving in are starting to take over the task of continuing to improve the neighborhood and it is my hope that they will be successful. A park isn't viewed as a step toward neighborhood enhancement but a brewery is.

Here's a link to the article in the Current:
Alamo Brewing could lure downtown traffic to the Eastside, if the city cuts a deal - News and Politics - San Antonio Current
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 04:34 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,362,307 times
Thanks for that insight, sshurgot.

I'd agree a park in the area, with nothing else, really wouldn't be worthwhile (surrounded by warehouses and such). What I'm envisioning is the outdoor/garden type pub I'm used to seeing in England....so brewery w/brew pub, with a large "park" like area (great for families) to enjoy outdoors. I guess that'd be an issue if this was a public park, but I'd prefer to see the area under the bridge have a little green, rather than more buildings with parking lots.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Thanks for that insight, sshurgot.

I'd agree a park in the area, with nothing else, really wouldn't be worthwhile (surrounded by warehouses and such). What I'm envisioning is the outdoor/garden type pub I'm used to seeing in England....so brewery w/brew pub, with a large "park" like area (great for families) to enjoy outdoors. I guess that'd be an issue if this was a public park, but I'd prefer to see the area under the bridge have a little green, rather than more buildings with parking lots.
I don't know if you saw the design that was in one (or both) of the newspaper articles. The plan is to plant vegetation under the bridge and have green areas. We'll see what happens. We have two community meetings scheduled in the next couple of weeks, focusing on the East Side (well beyond Dignowity Hill). Many issues will be discussed but I'm sure the brewery will be one of them.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:33 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,362,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshurgot View Post
I don't know if you saw the design that was in one (or both) of the newspaper articles. The plan is to plant vegetation under the bridge and have green areas. We'll see what happens. We have two community meetings scheduled in the next couple of weeks, focusing on the East Side (well beyond Dignowity Hill). Many issues will be discussed but I'm sure the brewery will be one of them.

I just saw the drawing. I LIKE it! Looks exactly like what I was picturing. I tend to be a bit skeptical when a business wants to use city property (i.e the bridge), but I like the idea. We'd definitely walk/cycle there.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 AM

500 posts, read 797,623 times
Kudos to Simor for helping to revitalize that area of town, and if he happens to reap benefit by acquiring that land, then more power to him. He should get some benefit. I don't see any forms of development in the area other than the work being done out near Willow Springs golf course (public works, of course). It's time for private development to take the lead.

There's no reason to believe that the city could or would maintain that land in the form of a park. Proof is in the observations made of the existing parks in the area. Only the worst element would be attracted. Is that what these very few residents want for their neighborhood?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:20 PM

31 posts, read 50,313 times
Whatever happened with this project?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlerb View Post
Whatever happened with this project?
Moving along. I was part of a meeting about a month ago where the architect presented some of his work. With the Holidays our neighborhood association didn't have a meeting in December, neither did the board, so I don't have too many details but we're pretty excited about the brewery coming to our neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio