Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,609,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepto0237 View Post
Looking for a graffiti artist in San Antonio to paint Mexican flag on an old brick wall.
there are none in san antonio. please look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,413,115 times
If a person owns the wall and wants an artist to spray paint a mural on it, then I see absolutely no problem. Not all graffiti art is gang-related. They're just spray painted murals. Some artists like oil painting, some like sculptures, some like sketches, some like doing tattoos, and others like using spray paint. Some people seem to not know the difference between tagging with gang writing and graffiti art.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,793,083 times
I know the damn difference. I lived in Austin for 2 years and saw "murals" everywhere. I own properties around town. One is by UTSA. So since I own it I could spray paint whatever I want on it? So if I spray painted a huge pot leaf on the side and played dazed and confused by Led all night it'd be socially acceptable? After all, I own it so **** off if you do not like it....it is art!!! Well I know what I am doing tomorrow!

Last edited by The Black Irish; 07-22-2011 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: misspelled word.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,393,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Get out more!? I am out enough so don't worry about it. Shoot, people have put toilets in galleries and called it art. I get it. However, crappy tagging all over everything and everywhere is not art. There is a distinction. Art is appreciated. Stupid gang tagging is not appreciated. If it were up to me the penalty would be the removal of a finger each time you are caught tagging. Or, the caning is good also as I mentioned earlier.
It's still art.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:18 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,793,083 times
Pictures of finger removal due to tagging. That would be the name of my exhibit at The McNay. Art right?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 PM

I've seen murals that are more artistic than the garbage I've seen at some art exhibits. What is your point? Art doesn't have to be in a certain setting to be considered art.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 PM

472 posts, read 1,070,766 times
Some of that Graffiti(art) is really good,...it's just something that someone has to accept as a "looking good" type of expression, and not some eye-sore,...eyes of the beholder,...I love all types of art,...and I (imo) like the majority of that Graffiti Art,...

Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,361,233 times
Default Graffitti

Ain't "real ort" ,it is vanadalism done by punks, as in egging cars, toilet papering people's front yards with bath tissue or breaking car windows.
If the artist has talent it might stand out in contrast to the messes
all over town.
However if Rap music is an unappreciated art form, just' maybe some, a small part of graffiti is also. Maybe it just hasn't been discovered yet. After all, rap music hasn't grown on me yet and in all likelihood , it never will.
Graffitti is like rap music I suppose, it was all a big mistake.
I just don't get it, if it were a mural the quality of the work would stand out. It always
is letter[9peeeee9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
I generally associate art as being something in a museum or gallery . Not spray painted on an old brick wall. I am sure the city and local business owners would agree with me. Perhaps we should do like Singapore and throw offenders in jail for 4 months, a fine of $3500, and public canings.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:03 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,609,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
yes, yes. this i agree with on so many levels.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Ain't "real ort" ,it is vanadalism done by punks, as in egging cars, toilet papering people's front yards with bath tissue or breaking car windows.
If the artist has talent it might stand out in contrast to the messes
all over town.
However if Rap music is an unappreciated art form, just' maybe some, a small part of graffiti is also. Maybe it just hasn't been discovered yet. After all, rap music hasn't grown on me yet and in all likelihood , it never will.
I just don't get it, if it were a mural the quality of the work would stand out. It always
is letter[9peeeee9
Art is definitely in the eye or ear of the beholder. There are genres I abhor (country), but a lot of people like them, so they have to have some kind of artistic value. I just don't have the personal taste for them, but I can usually find at least one song in each genre that is likable, although, I'm more open-minded than most when it comes to music. Even though I think modern country sounds like generic pop with slide guitars and that there's not much variance between songs, I do have a few country songs on my mp3 player. In general, I do find country more tolerable than electronic dance music even though I have more EDM songs on my mp3 player than country. I think some sub-genres of heavy metal shouldn't even be considered music, but I do like a few heavy metal songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio