U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2018, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Stone Oak, San Antonio
718 posts, read 500,386 times
Reputation: 572

Advertisements

Can anyone explain why WOAI has a 'W' call letter and not a 'K'? I thought the rule was supposed to be 'W' to the east of the Mississippi, 'K' to the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 AM
 
3,141 posts, read 5,163,866 times
Reputation: 1748
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Can anyone explain why WOAI has a 'W' call letter and not a 'K'? I thought the rule was supposed to be 'W' to the east of the Mississippi, 'K' to the west.
The call letters for that station were established in San Antonio before the FCC implemented that rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 09:21 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Tx
7,649 posts, read 8,100,136 times
Reputation: 9195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The call letters for that station were established in San Antonio before the FCC implemented that rule.
That is only half of the answer. Technically those rules only apply to radio and WOAI AM was grandfathered. At the time they and the tv network were owned by the same people. When the radio station was grandfathered in they kept the tv too which the rules didnt apply to. This is why when they were sold they changed to KMOL. When they were sold again they went back to WOAI to re-establish the nostalgia. That time around the FCC had nothing to do with it. for tv, anymore it is just born out of tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2018, 10:55 AM
 
439 posts, read 235,262 times
Reputation: 269
WBAP comes to mind. Ft Worth, TX.
or the less well known WRR in Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2018, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Stone Oak, San Antonio
718 posts, read 500,386 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The call letters for that station were established in San Antonio before the FCC implemented that rule.
What, in the 60's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2018, 08:39 AM
 
3,141 posts, read 5,163,866 times
Reputation: 1748
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
What, in the 60's?
WOAI TV first signed on the air in San Antonio in 1949. They were under same ownership as WOAI radio, which signed on in San Antonio in 1922.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2018, 09:02 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,411,919 times
Reputation: 1536
Default Oh Yea,

The WOAI nostalgia was re-established. Yes. I can still recall riding to places here as a tiny kid standing in the front seat of Dad's fifty two Chevrolet, listening to WOAI.
Then. As a teenager a good friend's Dad was responsible for the Transmission of the signal at Woai T.V.
Mr. Campbell. KMOL did not have the same ring to it especially so. As WOAI was read in the tones of radio announcer Bob Guthrie of WOAI radio.
This old radio format is one of the many things that would have been far better off untouched and rearranged for a political purpose.
WOAI radio has become a place for plying the airwaves with conservative dogma.

Already last night I received, in the middle of this Bureaucratic shutdown, a Robocall berating Democrats
for the Shutdown. They know that I vote Democratic. A Straight ticket every single time. Don't waste the money, I don't believe it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
That is only half of the answer. Technically those rules only apply to radio and WOAI AM was grandfathered. At the time they and the tv network were owned by the same people. When the radio station was grandfathered in they kept the tv too which the rules didnt apply to. This is why when they were sold they changed to KMOL. When they were sold again they went back to WOAI to re-establish the nostalgia. That time around the FCC had nothing to do with it. for tv, anymore it is just born out of tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top