U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:42 PM

5,622 posts, read 6,404,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I've been a Discount Tire fan for years but I must say they have been less than stellar as of late. Made an appointment via their website a few weeks ago for a rotate and balance. Arrived about 15 minutes before my alloted appointment time. They did not get my car into the bay until 45 minutes after my 10am time slot. This was at the N. 281 Location. My first trip on the highway and the think was shaking worse than it was when I brought in.

I had to leave town of a few days so I decided to make another appointment at the new location on 1604 near NW Military. I again arrived about 10 minutes prior to my 9am appointment time only to again wait another 30 minutes for my car to get worked on. Once complete, they brought it out and told me one of the back wheels was way off. Big surprise.

Since they are really the only game in town, I'll continue to go there but in my mind, they are definitely slipping.
As a former employee I have a good feeling what happened.

Many times when Discount Tire is busy, the techs do not "zero out" the balance after applying the wheel weights. In other words, after they apply the weight they are supposed to recheck the assembly to make sure both inner and outer planes of the assembly are at zero meaning the balance is good.

I forgot to mention this earlier but the tech tried to pull this one on me today after he repaired my flat. I asked him if he checked the balance after he put the weights on and he claimed that he forgot to and went back to do just that.

They have definitely gotten very sloppy as management is supposed to observe and detect this. No matter how busy they are, they should always get the balance right the first time.

I may not know much about some things but I definitely know the tire/wheel business as I still work in this field on a much higher level. I work directly with wheel and tire engineers and I can tell you that the training at Discount Tire is not about quality but it is about speed of service and that itself is just good enough for most people. That is why discount tire is so successful today.

It seems like they are taking on more customers than they can handle. Quality definitely goes down when that happens as the managers pressure the techs to get those cars in and out as quickly as possible. That's when they start to skip important functions like rechecking the balance.

Last edited by Azure110; 08-13-2011 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 02:40 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,374,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
Hey guys, do you know where I can buy some good tires at a reasonable price? I I need some low profile 17 inch tires. What do you think about discount tires? Thanks.
If you are a member, Sam's Club has good prices on their tires. I bought a set of Goodyear RS-A that included a road hazard. About six months later, I had a blow-out. The road hazard covered to cost of the replacement tire. All that I had to pay was the road hazard on the new tire.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,070,189 times
17 inch low profiles? Pick and Pull or the Police compound.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:26 AM

239 posts, read 387,330 times
NTB has some great prices and great service

Old 08-17-2011, 06:09 PM

427 posts, read 1,036,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyonthursSA View Post
NTB has some great prices and great service
Errr......I was taught when I don't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything. I guess I'm not going to say anything

Old 08-17-2011, 08:31 PM

318 posts, read 640,307 times
If you have a Costco card, try them. I have always been a fan of their tire department.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 PM

239 posts, read 387,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoCpl View Post
Errr......I was taught when I don't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything. I guess I'm not going to say anything

to each his own...the past few times ive been there its been great

Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 PM

381 posts, read 662,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
17 inch low profiles? Pick and Pull or the Police compound.
I don't get the joke I guess. Yes, low profile tires. my tires are low profile but not my car.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:03 PM

84 posts, read 189,962 times
Discount has always done me right. I have low profile 18's. One tire had a tiny crack on the side, Discount found me a brand new replacement tire, only charged me $20, and slapped the new tire on. That tire new is $150

Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM

418 posts, read 1,111,534 times
i use discount tire, but i pricematch with tirerack and/or discounttiredirect.

I do avoid the 281 evans discount tire, they are shady in the sense that they don't follow chain policy. They don't honor appointments, nor do they fulfill pricematching through the online service/telephone. Their wait times are are also systematically bad. Ie poor staff scheduling etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio