U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:56 PM

186 posts, read 617,955 times

Advertisements

I had my car broken into last night. Smashed window. They pried the dash to try to get to the gps.. idiots couldn't even figure out that it simply lifts out. They didn't get it. They left blood. The police dusted for fingerprints.

I had a few neighbors tell me they've been having some problems too. One had their bike stolen, another had their entire house broken into and robbed.

I feel very uneasy. Apparently there is section 8 housing right down the street as well. A lot of the neighbors seemed to think it was coming from there.

Anyone else been having problems in this neighborhood? Beacon hill, alta vista, monte vista.

Is there a way to get increased police presence in certain neighborhoods? Does anyone know how to request a streetlight be put in on your street (it's really dark) besides going through your HOA?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 07:22 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,164,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramdsm View Post
Is there a way to get increased police presence in certain neighborhoods? Does anyone know how to request a streetlight be put in on your street (it's really dark) besides going through your HOA?

Thanks.
As far as increased police presence, there should be an SAPD SAFFE officer assigned to your neighborhood. SAFFE officers can work with individual residents in a given area to address situations like the ones you have been experiencing.
Community Policing and Problem Solving

As far as street lighting, requests for additional lighting in the City of San Antonio can be made by calling 311. For existing street lights in need of repair, call CPS Energy.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:54 PM

6,258 posts, read 8,993,152 times
Rather than wanting someone else to do it, why not install a motion-sensing light and some security cameras? Just the light itself would likely go a long way to helping. Not being uncaring here, but the city can't afford to provide personal security patrols 24/7 - we've gotta think of ways to provide that for ourselves.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,815 posts, read 33,140,805 times
Quote:
If it's a gated neighborhood, the streetlights are owned by the HOA. Only they can add more.

Assuming you're not in a gated neighborhood, your city council rep can hook you up with the city department that determines whether more lights can be added to your neighborhood.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,014,484 times
Quote:
I had my car broken into last night. Smashed window. They pried the dash to try to get to the gps.. idiots couldn't even figure out that it simply lifts out. They didn't get it. They left blood. The police dusted for fingerprints.

I had a few neighbors tell me they've been having some problems too. One had their bike stolen, another had their entire house broken into and robbed.

I feel very uneasy.
Ok...well this happens ALL over the city. There is no place immune to crime. Crime is not unique to the 78212 area, nor is it unique to the Medical Center area, NW, NE, North, South, West or East, or anywhere else.

Quote:
Apparently there is section 8 housing right down the street as well. A lot of the neighbors seemed to think it was coming from there.
Yeah well they "think" that only because of course people wanna look at an "easy" target. Not all people on Section 8 are criminals. There are many elderly and disabled on Section 8/Public Housing. Are they possible criminals to?

Criminals are criminals and it doesn't matter their age, race, ethnicity or whether they reside in a brick house, upstairs, downtstairs, around the corner, to the side of the house, one-story, two-story, blue house, purple house, red house, white house...ok...ok...you get my point: We shouldn't scapegoat a group of people just because they live in a certain community.

If you want my honest opinion, I'd say the person who broke into your vehicle was a transient person walking around the area, and not someone living at that community which your neighbors speak of.

Quote:
Anyone else been having problems in this neighborhood? Beacon hill, alta vista, monte vista.
I live in Tobin Hill. No problems where I am at.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:05 PM

6,258 posts, read 8,993,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Yeah well they "think" that only because of course people wanna look at an "easy" target. Not all people on Section 8 are criminals. There are many elderly and disabled on Section 8/Public Housing. Are they possible criminals to?
With all due respect, because I know what you're trying to get at - it's also disingenuous to refuse to acknowledge that the presence of Section 8 housing invariably results in lower property values and higher crime rates.

Do I view all Section 8 tenants as criminals? Of course not - because I've had many friends living in that housing over the years. By the same token, I'm the first to say that it's not an area I'd want to live near.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
With all due respect, because I know what you're trying to get at - it's also disingenuous to refuse to acknowledge that the presence of Section 8 housing invariably results in lower property values and higher crime rates.

Do I view all Section 8 tenants as criminals? Of course not - because I've had many friends living in that housing over the years. By the same token, I'm the first to say that it's not an area I'd want to live near.
Not necessarily, depending on the "type" of community.

There are properties which are mixed-use which are a "combination" of Section 8/Public Housing and standard market rate. You probably know this already, but I mention it for those who are unaware what mixed use is.

Take for the example the lush and gorgeous, Hemis View Village Apartments, which opened to tenants around a year ago in downtown San Antonio. That community has 49 Public Housing units, 10 Section-8 units, and all the rest are regular market rate. I've taken a personal tour of this place and it's absolutely stunning! I've been on the SAHA waiting list since December last year and I'm hoping so much to get into this place.

Youtube video tour:

So, no, not all communities which have tenants receiving Section 8, or Public Housing, are bad places.

It's possible that "this community" that the neighbors speak of, is all Section 8 solely. Even if that's the case that still, in my opinion, doesn't make it right to target them.

The bottomline is crime is everywhere. It's in my zipcode and just about every zipcode in this city.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:24 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,152,264 times
Quote:
The bottomline is crime is everywhere. It's in my zipcode and just about every zipcode in this city.
You just said there are no problems in your area. Which is it?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
You just said there are no problems in your area. Which is it?
The OP asked if there were problems in my neighborhood: no. Does crime exist everywhere? YES.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:32 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,152,264 times
Quote:
The OP asked if there were problems in my neighborhood: no. Does crime exist everywhere? YES.

Clear enough?
You said "No problems where I am at." So, no, you are not clear at all.

Section 8 problems do not come from the old and the disabled. Let's get real here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio