U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:48 PM

11 posts, read 49,810 times

Advertisements

We are planning to retire in a few years and relocate to Texas (in the vicinity of San Antonio, but not in the city). We love our privacy and hate HOA's with a passion. We don't want to live in a cookie-cutter subdivision like you read about in the retirement brochures.

What would be ideal would be a parcel anywhere from 5-25 acres from 15 minutes up to an hour outside of S.A. My research so far has me looking Northeast of S.A., but I am not certain that is the best direction. Obviously, concerns like crime, general economy, accessibility to services (that's why we don't want to be more than an hour out of the city) are considerations.

I have tried to search for parcels over the internet, but I can't find anything that is not part of a planned community or subdivision. Any advice I can get would be VERY much appreciated! Our plan is to buy now and build later...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2006, 02:18 PM

2,392 posts, read 8,626,966 times
You might try Medina and Bandera about 45 mins outside of town and you might be able to do a realtor search in those areas (those are in the Hill Country nw of SA) Comfort and Center Point are also small (really small) towns with in 30 mins that you might search also. I would think out there it would be the land and not to many HOAs in the area but more pricey that the NE side. Live on the NW side of SA and hill country so can't help to much on the other side of town.

GL

Old 09-03-2006, 06:43 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,370,145 times
Default Land With No HOAs

HOAs are normally found around "desirable" locations like rivers and lakes. Your best bet would be a ranch...in your case, 25 acres would be a ranchette. Living in NW SA, I'm partial to the area west and north of SA.
Here is a nice web site that lists ranches for sale (by county). Check Medina and Bandera counties to start.

(broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 09-04-2006 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: realtor/mls

Old 09-11-2006, 03:17 PM

Thumbs up No HOA's

Thank you both for your prompt and informative responses! I was hoping that in a state as big as Texas I could escape the scourge of HOA's.

I will definitely take your advice and I am now looking to the North and West of SA at "rachettes." I am researching all of the locations you each mentioned by name. Unfortunately, I could not access the link you provided me with the realtor who specializes in ranches because it was edited out. Apparently, that kind of link is not allowed.

Not to be deterred, I will just research a bit more to get the info. We are planning to gather as much info as possible, then we will fly to TX, rent a car, and visit some sites. I won't be ready to do that until I do a bit more research about laws, taxes, titles and such.

Thank you both again for your helpful info, and please let me know if you come up with any more ideas!

Dave

Old 09-12-2006, 07:39 AM

2,392 posts, read 8,626,966 times
If you do get a ranchette plan to keep a few goats or something so you can get an Ag credit and taxes will be much much lower. It is going to be easier to get that outside of Bexar county than in it. There are a few south texas ranches dot com website if you do a google for them, they should come up or hill country ranches dot com also

Gl

Old 09-12-2006, 11:55 AM

3,823 posts, read 13,370,145 times
Default Goats Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
If you do get a ranchette plan to keep a few goats or something so you can get an Ag credit and taxes will be much much lower. It is going to be easier to get that outside of Bexar county than in it. There are a few south texas ranches dot com website if you do a google for them, they should come up or hill country ranches dot com also

Gl
So that is why I see so many goats everywhere I go in the Hill Country!

Old 09-13-2006, 10:29 AM

1,241 posts, read 3,899,844 times
You would be suprised how much is saved!!

Old 09-13-2006, 05:38 PM

65 posts, read 281,152 times
I just came back and would suggest you check out Canyon Lake area. Its 30mile north of SA. Looked at a few lots myself.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:11 PM

679 posts, read 2,607,663 times
Felina, tell us a little more about the lots? I'll arrive in Canyon Lake, in November. Did you like them? Did you go to Mystic Shores? Really expensive? How's the community? Crowded...open? I subscribe to their newspaper. Sorry for so many questions but I am dying to know.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:49 PM

Default goats eh?

Well, being a current suburbanite who is dying to get out to the wide open spaces, I will have to study up on my animal husbandry before I take on goats. I am familiar with horses, so I figure goats can't be any more difficult, right???

Thanks again for all the tips and help. I will also check out the Canyon Lake area, but from what I have seen so far, they seem to be "planned communities" around that area. I will see if they have any lots that aren't part of anyone's "plan."

I will also Google the ranches the way you all suggested. One thing I have learned: I have to upscale my thoughts about how much land to ask for. It seems that everything really is bigger in Texas! Owning a 5 acre lot you are considered a land baron where I come from (the suburbs of DC); whereas in TX, I can't find much under 30 acres! I love it...can't wait...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio