U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,067,947 times
San Antonio deserves an NFL team
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 08:38 AM

2,368 posts, read 3,367,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Can someone please tell me if the comparison of poverty between SA, Dallas and Houston is for each city proper? I mean, Houston and Dallas both are surrounded by suburbs and that's where a good chunk of the money is. Dallas proper may have a 22% level but the suburbs sure don't. SA is a larger city than Dallas proper...has been for years. San Antonio has very few suburbs. Do they have any suburbs? Does Boerne count? That's why SA is the only large city I can think of that still has one area code. When someone calls me and doesn't leave an area code, I figure they're from SA.

Fact is, Houston and Dallas are apples and SA is oranges. Can't compare SA to either Dallas or Houston on pretty much anything unless it's by MSA.

Sure, SA, get a football team. Go for broke!
I wouldnt call a suburban population of nearly 1,000,000 not having suburbs. SA is the 24th largest (Bexar 17th most populous county)metro and that is sharing the region with the Austin area, San Marcos which is just minutes from S.A. San Antonio's richest areas are not in S.A. proper either, Olmos park, Terrel Hills, Alamo heights, etc.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 AM

San Antonio falls in both 210 and 830 which is the suburbs.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:33 PM

418 posts, read 365,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
I dunno if I really consider a bunch of enclaves as suburbs... They're basically just neighborhoods that didn't wanna pay the same taxes as the rest of the city. Sure, some of those are suburbs, but this isn't really the biggest metro area in the world. You did, however leave out the biggest one of all, which is New Braunfels, which is a decent-sized town. Seguin would be a suburb too. I still think we're big enough for a friggin' NFL team.
I left Seguin and New Braunfels off because those cities were founded and established long before cars were invented and people commuted. But I understand your point many commute from those cities now.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Pasadena (Houston) has 150,000 people.
What suburb of San Antonio has anything close to that?

None, DFW has at least 11 suburbs over 100,000 with Arlington at 365,000, Houston has one.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:02 PM

840 posts, read 748,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
None, DFW has at least 11 suburbs over 100,000 with Arlington at 365,000, Houston has one.
You cannot compare mega-cities like Dallas and Houston to a mid-sized metropolitan area like San Antonio. San Antonio for the purposes of an NFL team is better compared to cities of like size like Cincinatti, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville etc. These are all towns similar in size to San Antonio that have NFL franchises. San Antonio fits in with that group.

Dallas and Houston are better compared to places like Boston, New York and Chicago.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
You cannot compare mega-cities like Dallas and Houston to a mid-sized metropolitan area like San Antonio. San Antonio for the purposes of an NFL team is better compared to cities of like size like Cincinatti, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville etc. These are all towns similar in size to San Antonio that have NFL franchises. San Antonio fits in with that group.

Dallas and Houston are better compared to places like Boston, New York and Chicago.

New Braunfels is the biggest with 60,000 but then you have the Randolph Metrocom which has between 335,000 to 350,000 people in between San Antonio and New braunfels.
So to say SA has no suburbs is further from the truth. Bexar county itself is not far from the 2,000,000 mark, I'd say another 5-7 years.

San Antonio has the upper hand compared to Cincy, Indy, Nashville in size and growth rate. Those cities are in S.A's rear view mirror. But S.A. alone cant compare to the DFW region, SA/Austin would be a better comparison.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 PM

Randolph Metrocom
Randolph Metrocom Chamber of Commerce

Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post

I agree you cannot compare but DFW is surrounded by large suburbs. Houston and SA through aggressive annexation are not was the point I was making, they are similar in that aspect. But SA is not without suburbs as someone stated pages back, they are just small. Houston and DFW metros blow SA away in over all size is understood.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:44 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,620,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Are they willing to pay the 750 million plus for a new stadium? Because the Alamodome isn't going to cut it.

Besides, there are two football teams in Texas.. The Cowboys and the Longhorns. I heard Houston has a team... who are they again?
The Texans are the ninth most valuable franchise in the world, in any sport. Aside from that, the state has more than 25 million people, and shows no signs of slowing down any time soon. There is plenty of room for another NFL team, and Austin, by nearly all accounts, doesn't want one.

PS The Aggies and Red Raiders attract big crowds to their fb games, and are very profitable. Pretty soon there will be five BCS auto-bid conference teams and 12 FBS (I-A) football programs in the state, including UTSA, and high school games are well-attended. I don't think that there's an issue with interest in the sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio