U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,522 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with these companies in the San Antonio area? I may be taking a job down there as an inspector for the 747-8 and 787. I'm relocating from the East Coast. Just want to hear some perspectives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 05:24 PM

93 posts, read 298,215 times
Volt is a good contract house. My husband has worked with them both in South Carolina and San Antonio. He's worked for several and he's left a few. He's never had a problem getting his check and his questions are answered. However, remember it's a contract. If you"ve contracted before, you will know what I mean. You are bottom of the totem pole and there to work not to have a life. Things can be fine one day and the next you might not have a job. Can't speak about actual working conditions, I'm not the one working there. We are just hoping the planes start getting delivered and the work continues for awhle. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:57 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,184,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel6129 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with these companies in the San Antonio area? I may be taking a job down there as an inspector for the 747-8 and 787. I'm relocating from the East Coast. Just want to hear some perspectives.
none with boeing, but volt is TERRIBLE. i did contract work for them before i went into business for myself. the one contract they stuck me at, they had something like a 65% turn over rate. there were literally 2-3 training classes a week.

the recruitment lady, susan, boy she's a piece of work. if you ever screw up, she expects you to take whatever verbal abuse she throws at you, then calls you unreasonable when you rebut her points, prove her wrong and get right back in her face. she likes to yell and many think she may have an anger problem... but hey, im no doctor so i couldnt say!

THEN, she trolls online forums (i #$!@ you not, they have posts from craigslist and other places tacked in her office) for dirt on you, sends you emails to your personal account, pretending to be some new girl who heard about you and wants you to help her with online stuff and job searches, then accuses you of badmouthing volt, gets her lawyers to call you and tell you retarded crap, such as "well we have your ip address logged as coming from bla bla bla and we'll get a subpoena to your isp to verify you were in control of it bla bla bla" and ultimately never calls you back after you get a real lawyer to call them and educate them on the law (FWIW she acted like she had just taken the bar) and how harassing someone VIA email that they obtained through the work database was illegal and they needed to shutup or face real charges...

yeah, go work for volt. i know a few people who had that book i just posted happen to them, all because susan, a manager with no stock ownership in volt, decided she wanted to play internet bad@#! and try to scare someone.

but hey, good times, good times, volt is awesome!

Old 07-30-2011, 06:28 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,071,300 times
Ok I looked at Volt and Boeing. Boeing is located south of town in the old Kelly Air Force Base. Thats where I thought I would be working. Close to me. Volt is on the opposite part of town, as far as you can get. About 30 miles one way. With gasoline what it is, I would have to make a whole bunch of money to pay for the gas. They don't care about that--BUT --they should!!

Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 PM

Don't know what you are all talking about, You only go to Boeing. Volt's aviation dept is actually somewhere else besides SA but they have a rep on site. Never heard of Susan but we have had no problems with our recruiter, Jarett has always answered me or my husbands questions over the last 2
years while we were waiting for the program to get underway. High turn over, probably. Most people would prefer a somewhat stable job, lots of benefits,and a homelife with their family. Many are not prepared what to expect with contracting. You don't get into aviation contracting if you are expecting a long term stable job.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,522 times
I am familiar with contract work but not something as volatile as this. From what I head there is plenty of money to make in overtime. As far as I'm concerned, you have to get it while its good. While I'd like a 9-5, I wouldn't mind a 6-7, 6 days a week.

Thanks for the input. Negative input is just as important as the positive.

What do you guys think of SA?

Old 07-30-2011, 08:21 PM

Only you can make the decision which is right for you. Take the OT with a grain of salt. As with all projects there are the inevitable ebbs and flows.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:48 PM

As far as SA goes he likes it. He was already familiar with it from being in the Air Force. We'll go visit sometime this fall. We try to visit at least once wherever he may be at on a contract. This one is supposed to last a couple of years so we may visit more than once. We stay put and he hooks up the trailor and goes where he needs to. To qualify for the per diem, your home of record must be at least 50 miles from your place of work.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:48 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,353,077 times
Susan sounds like an ANGRY *****

Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 AM

71 posts, read 110,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel6129 View Post
Word out at the site is the 747 and 787 are short term programs. Depending on who you listen to, anywhere from 18-24 months. Job security might become a problem for a contractor. There are always rumors of new work on the horizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio