U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 06:57 PM

55 posts, read 93,662 times

Advertisements

My mom really wants to move to Schertz/Cibolo but I dont want to. She said doesn't want to buy a house in San Antonio because of high property taxes. Staying in San Antonio would be best because she may be getting a new job(which is close to my school), and she plans to go to school here too (at NW Vista). What are the pros and cons of Schertz/Cibolo?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,798,672 times
cons - having to drive on IH35
Pros- I dont know

Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,990,051 times
With all due respect, it's up to your Mom - not you. She's the one that has to pay the bills, and she has to take the cost of housing, etc. into account. It's fine to help her review all the options and costs, but don't presume to try to tell her what she "should" do - from the sounds of things, she's done all right by ya'll.
Look at it as a learning moment - be open to her ideas and concerns, and use it to help you learn how to evaluate things. Having said that, one of the things you CAN do is discuss the hidden cost of transportation. Too often, folks look only at the cost of gas - they forget wear and tear on a vehicle. As a practical matter, you can pretty well bet that the *true* cost of driving is pretty close to 30-35 cents/mile, more if you get less than about 18 mpg.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,447,288 times
From Northwest Vista College to Schertz/Cibolo is going to be a rough commute. Either it's better to live in Schertz/Cibolo and attend Northeast Lakeview or attend Northwest Vista and live near there.
Also, property taxes might be high in San Antonio but if someone is having to drive a lot to get to point A to point B, whether it is school or to work, the property tax savings disappear.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM

374 posts, read 861,960 times
We lived in Northcliffe (off the golf course, Comal County) and the cost of housing, taxes, and insurance were alot cheaper outside of Bexar County. We also didn't have to deal with the Edwards Aquifer so we never had water restrictions like the rest of SA and I could water every night (Carrizo Aquifer). We almost never drove inside 1604. 90% of dining and shopping was within 15 minutes north and south of 1103 so 35 wasn't a real issue. The few times I did have to go through SA during peak times, I went down 78 to avoid the traffic jams in Selma.

I'd live there again in a heartbeat.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 AM

667 posts, read 1,404,205 times
Cibolo's taxes are cheaper overall (if you live in Guadalupe county). We live there and love it. Great place. Low crime. Steele is an excellent high school too.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 AM

418 posts, read 687,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneB View Post
My mom really wants to move to Schertz/Cibolo but I dont want to. She said doesn't want to buy a house in San Antonio because of high property taxes. Staying in San Antonio would be best because she may be getting a new job(which is close to my school), and she plans to go to school here too (at NW Vista). What are the pros and cons of Schertz/Cibolo?
In this case... there is a big daily con with the driving to her work/school location.

I live in Schertz because I work out here... a 2 mile drive to the office on back roads is such a joy... compared to rolling down I-35.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,109,630 times
Whatever she saved moving to the Schertz/Cibolo area would be quickly negated by the cost of fuel to drive across the city!

There are plenty of nice communities outside of the SA city limits on the NW side of town that are much closer to NVC. She should focus her search there.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 AM

55 posts, read 93,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
With all due respect, it's up to your Mom - not you. She's the one that has to pay the bills, and she has to take the cost of housing, etc. into account. It's fine to help her review all the options and costs, but don't presume to try to tell her what she "should" do - from the sounds of things, she's done all right by ya'll.
Look at it as a learning moment - be open to her ideas and concerns, and use it to help you learn how to evaluate things. Having said that, one of the things you CAN do is discuss the hidden cost of transportation. Too often, folks look only at the cost of gas - they forget wear and tear on a vehicle. As a practical matter, you can pretty well bet that the *true* cost of driving is pretty close to 30-35 cents/mile, more if you get less than about 18 mpg.

Well right now I'm positive she really can't afford to get a house right now. What I might suggest to her, and what seems like the logical thing to do, is to get her credit together and move when I graduate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Whatever she saved moving to the Schertz/Cibolo area would be quickly negated by the cost of fuel to drive across the city!

There are plenty of nice communities outside of the SA city limits on the NW side of town that are much closer to NVC. She should focus her search there.

Interesting. I'd also like to attend NVC also when I finish high school. I'll also suggest this to her.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:05 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,437,487 times
I much prefer Cibolo to living in the city. Much more laid back and very quiet. Unless you are paying the mortgage, I'd suggest backing your Mom's decision until you can get a place on your own... Then you get to choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio