U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,750,836 times
Default Registration Stickers

I renewed the registration stickers online (obviously, hehe) for one of our cars earlier this morning & I noticed something I had not noticed before. You have an option to pay for 2 or 3 years instead of one. If you pay for 2 or 3, you save like, $1.50 a year on registration fees, haha.

Is this a new, recent thing? I don't remember seeing it 8 months ago or so.

Wish they could do something similar with inspection stickers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 PM

8,279 posts, read 12,203,324 times
Odd, I just got a registration renewal for my Toyota and went online and just noticed this as well.

For that car, a one-year renewal is $67.25, two years is $131.50 and three years cost $195.75. Not really much of a savings, is it? Three bucks a year!

But I just renewed four vehicles in July and don't recall seeing that option. However, I have no idea of when it was implemented, it could have been that I just never noticed it either!

By the way, there is a caveat..."Purchased registration remains with this vehicle and will not be refunded if the vehicle is sold;" so if you're planning to sell you may want to resist the temptation of saving the three bucks a year "registration discount" plus the two bucks a year service fee!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-04-2011, 08:36 PM

13,553 posts, read 20,712,612 times
This sounds like a win for Texas. There is sure not much incentive to pay in advance.....

Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,231,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
By the way, there is a caveat..."Purchased registration remains with this vehicle and will not be refunded if the vehicle is sold;" so if you're planning to sell you may want to resist the temptation of saving the three bucks a year "registration discount" plus the two bucks a year service fee!

Cheers! M2
That was the first question that popped into my head when I was reading the OP's post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
There is sure not much incentive to pay in advance.....
Less than 5% annual savings, and no pro-rated refunds if vehicle sold or transferred? I'll pass.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 PM

The best part about doing the 3-year thing is if you're too lazy and just don't want to deal with it. It's great, since you'd have to deal with only ONE stupid sticker annually this way, until the 3 years are up.

I did only the 1-year renewal because it's for our oldest car & I don't know what exactly is going to happen to that car in the near future, haha, so I just decided it was okay to spend 5 minutes online a year to renew for that car.

2 of our cars are going to do the 3-year renewals next time they come around, though, that's for sure.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:36 PM

5,346 posts, read 5,217,864 times
It's also not a good deal on an older car. If you get in a wreck and have even minor damage on an older car, insurance totals it out and then if you want to keep it, you have to get a salvage title and pay registration again. I paid the registration six months ago, then had to pay another $150 the other day so I would be allowed to drive my car again. I asked if they could refund the six months I had left on the sticker, since I shouldn't have to pay the same tax on the same car twice for the same period of time. They said no.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 28 days ago)

20,157 posts, read 19,979,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Odd, I just got a registration renewal for my Toyota and went online and just noticed this as well.

For that car, a one-year renewal is $67.25, two years is $131.50 and three years cost $195.75. Not really much of a savings, is it? Three bucks a year!

But I just renewed four vehicles in July and don't recall seeing that option. However, I have no idea of when it was implemented, it could have been that I just never noticed it either!

Cheers! M2
You can just add the sticker price to the sales price. Problem solved.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's also not a good deal on an older car. If you get in a wreck and have even minor damage on an older car, insurance totals it out and then if you want to keep it, you have to get a salvage title and pay registration again. I paid the registration six months ago, then had to pay another $150 the other day so I would be allowed to drive my car again. I asked if they could refund the six months I had left on the sticker, since I shouldn't have to pay the same tax on the same car twice for the same period of time. They said no.
Bastards! EVIL!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:17 AM

995 posts, read 1,337,552 times
Isn't paying by mail cheaper than paying online? The stamp + $1 dollar.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,272 posts, read 19,815,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Less than 5% annual savings, and no pro-rated refunds if vehicle sold or transferred? I'll pass.
...or wrecked or stolen. There's plenty of risk for the citizen in this. Lots of potential win for the state, as citizens gamble that they'll keep that vehicle for 2-3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio