U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
3,269 posts, read 3,051,033 times
Reputation: 2087
Default Registration Stickers

I renewed the registration stickers online (obviously, hehe) for one of our cars earlier this morning & I noticed something I had not noticed before. You have an option to pay for 2 or 3 years instead of one. If you pay for 2 or 3, you save like, $1.50 a year on registration fees, haha.

Is this a new, recent thing? I don't remember seeing it 8 months ago or so.

Wish they could do something similar with inspection stickers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,304 posts, read 12,838,684 times
Reputation: 4369
Odd, I just got a registration renewal for my Toyota and went online and just noticed this as well.

For that car, a one-year renewal is $67.25, two years is $131.50 and three years cost $195.75. Not really much of a savings, is it? Three bucks a year!

But I just renewed four vehicles in July and don't recall seeing that option. However, I have no idea of when it was implemented, it could have been that I just never noticed it either!

By the way, there is a caveat..."Purchased registration remains with this vehicle and will not be refunded if the vehicle is sold;" so if you're planning to sell you may want to resist the temptation of saving the three bucks a year "registration discount" plus the two bucks a year service fee!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Status: "mean repper" (set 22 days ago)
 
13,601 posts, read 21,474,097 times
Reputation: 5330
This sounds like a win for Texas. There is sure not much incentive to pay in advance.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 PM
 
1,662 posts, read 2,406,723 times
Reputation: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
By the way, there is a caveat..."Purchased registration remains with this vehicle and will not be refunded if the vehicle is sold;" so if you're planning to sell you may want to resist the temptation of saving the three bucks a year "registration discount" plus the two bucks a year service fee!

Cheers! M2
That was the first question that popped into my head when I was reading the OP's post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
There is sure not much incentive to pay in advance.....
Less than 5% annual savings, and no pro-rated refunds if vehicle sold or transferred? I'll pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
3,269 posts, read 3,051,033 times
Reputation: 2087
The best part about doing the 3-year thing is if you're too lazy and just don't want to deal with it. It's great, since you'd have to deal with only ONE stupid sticker annually this way, until the 3 years are up.

I did only the 1-year renewal because it's for our oldest car & I don't know what exactly is going to happen to that car in the near future, haha, so I just decided it was okay to spend 5 minutes online a year to renew for that car.

2 of our cars are going to do the 3-year renewals next time they come around, though, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 09:36 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
5,607 posts, read 6,004,530 times
Reputation: 10226
It's also not a good deal on an older car. If you get in a wreck and have even minor damage on an older car, insurance totals it out and then if you want to keep it, you have to get a salvage title and pay registration again. I paid the registration six months ago, then had to pay another $150 the other day so I would be allowed to drive my car again. I asked if they could refund the six months I had left on the sticker, since I shouldn't have to pay the same tax on the same car twice for the same period of time. They said no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
21,027 posts, read 22,214,952 times
Reputation: 49976
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Odd, I just got a registration renewal for my Toyota and went online and just noticed this as well.

For that car, a one-year renewal is $67.25, two years is $131.50 and three years cost $195.75. Not really much of a savings, is it? Three bucks a year!

But I just renewed four vehicles in July and don't recall seeing that option. However, I have no idea of when it was implemented, it could have been that I just never noticed it either!

By the way, there is a caveat..."Purchased registration remains with this vehicle and will not be refunded if the vehicle is sold;" so if you're planning to sell you may want to resist the temptation of saving the three bucks a year "registration discount" plus the two bucks a year service fee!

Cheers! M2
You can just add the sticker price to the sales price. Problem solved.
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums: Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating.
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
3,269 posts, read 3,051,033 times
Reputation: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's also not a good deal on an older car. If you get in a wreck and have even minor damage on an older car, insurance totals it out and then if you want to keep it, you have to get a salvage title and pay registration again. I paid the registration six months ago, then had to pay another $150 the other day so I would be allowed to drive my car again. I asked if they could refund the six months I had left on the sticker, since I shouldn't have to pay the same tax on the same car twice for the same period of time. They said no.
Bastards! EVIL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 06:17 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
995 posts, read 1,409,935 times
Reputation: 300
Isn't paying by mail cheaper than paying online? The stamp + $1 dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: San Antonio
14,485 posts, read 20,831,152 times
Reputation: 9666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Less than 5% annual savings, and no pro-rated refunds if vehicle sold or transferred? I'll pass.
...or wrecked or stolen. There's plenty of risk for the citizen in this. Lots of potential win for the state, as citizens gamble that they'll keep that vehicle for 2-3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top