U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 PM

29 posts, read 68,527 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I'm a photographer looking for some great urban type locations for some future shoots. Are there any old buildings that don't have a lot of foot traffic around? I saw the thread about the "Roaring 20s" building but reading through it a bit, it sounds like there's actually a large house being built right behind it?

I would also love to find a graffiti mural (not a bunch of random graffiti, an actual full sized mural on the side of a building somewhere). Maybe down in the art district? I know there are some fantastic colorful building downtown that I'd love to shoot at

Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:02 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,074 times
i dont see the graffiti part of your portfolio taking off at all.

that being said, there are a ton of places on the west/east side that meet your requirements. just pick a side, drive in that general direction until the graffiti overwhelms you

Old 08-05-2011, 10:12 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
There's nothing at the old location of the "Roaring 20s" other than this sign at the entryway to the property...

Everything else has been knocked down and removed. I just drove by there a few days ago...

If you Google "san antonio graffiti" there are lots of images of graffiti in and around downtown, and of course there's always this thread on this forum:

**GRAFiTTi**ART**

Good luck! M2

Old 08-06-2011, 06:46 PM

29 posts, read 68,527 times
I'm not looking for graffiti, per say. I want a graffiti style mural that covers the entire side of the building, lots of colors, etc- most likely commissioned.

I did a shoot at Eisenhower Park this morning and there is a small abandoned house near the playground with great blue doors and rustic wood paneling. I was thrilled with the find

Old 08-06-2011, 07:10 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,035 times
There's some good stuff in Southtown. Look near the railroad tracks at Blue Star Arts Complex. Also, there's a great building on San Pedro, just inside of the highway (downtown side) that's covered in some really beautiful work.

Dexter: You really have no clue that graffiti has inspired some of the greatest artists of the 20th century. Haring, Basquiat, Bansky, Warhol. They all sell for millions of dollars today and all were influenced by street graffiti. Perhaps you're confusing 'tagging' with street art, but there's a real difference and the art world (and lovers) recognizes it.

BN

Old 08-06-2011, 07:34 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,524,213 times
So not something like this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22395881@N04/3307838810/ (broken link)

Old 08-06-2011, 08:07 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,443,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Also, there's a great building on San Pedro, just inside of the highway (downtown side) that's covered in some really beautiful work.

BN
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
So not something like this?

San Antonio 2009 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22395881@N04/3307838810/ - broken link)
The pic is the one BN is talking about.
It's on the corner of San Pedro, across the way from Capital One bank on West Quincy.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:26 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
The pic is the one BN is talking about.
It's on the corner of San Pedro, across the way from Capital One bank on West Quincy.
not for long. thats one UGLY piece of 'work'

interesting fact: if you call 311 and say youre going to cover up some graffiti at (insert location here), they will give you a separate number to contact. the person who answers that line will set you up with supplies (paint, rollers, brushes) to help you combat the ugly graffiti.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,443,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
The mural changes all the time. The pic was taken in 2009; there's another piece in its place.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:48 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post

interesting fact: if you call 311 and say youre going to cover up some graffiti at (insert location here), they will give you a separate number to contact. the person who answers that line will set you up with supplies (paint, rollers, brushes) to help you combat the ugly graffiti.
Interesting fact: Unless it's public property or in direct violation of city code, you cannot paint over anyone's private property. That mural has been there in one form or another for years. It's not going anywhere, especially since the building is owned by someone who supports the art form.

I urge you to open your mind and educate yourself a bit on things you obviously know very little about.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio