Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 PM

8 posts, read 18,514 times

Advertisements

NBA ruined basketball anyways with all its stupid rules, Either there needs to be a new pro basketball association ABA or the EuroLeague. Im only into UFC now. The pro leagues with the fewest rules is always the best and exciting. Just like how this used to be a better country before all the new laws that interfere with everyday life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 07:46 AM

475 posts, read 1,094,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
I for one will not be supporting the NBA at all! This is bull we the fans are the ones that support these teams, and they should remember that. There is no money to split up if the the fan support is gone! Which I hope happens! I see it as a slap in the face!
Unfortunately, most people will continue to support...they may stay away for a few games or even a season, but they will be back for the sports entertainment just as they have done for most sports after similar stoppages in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob View Post
It is ridiculous the cost of a ticket to a Spurs game. I make good money but cannot afford to attend the games. We used to have season tickets when it was in the arena before the AlamoDome. they were around 20-25 bucks a game. (for good seats) No way I will buy tickets now. Just wait until the team sucks....there will be no one there. We have been spoiled with a decent team for a long time. Look at the attendance for the crappy teams in the league. They have to be losing their a..es.
You can thank everyone who voted to let the city use Hotel Occupancy Taxes to help develop the SBC Center (now at&t) many years ago. As most private sports franchises demand, the Spurs wanted a new home. The city got voters to go along by saying funds were coming from occupancy taxes so local taxes wouldn't go up. Well, ticket prices did go up now didn't they?

Old 08-07-2011, 12:55 PM

993 posts, read 2,490,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Totally made up. Sorry. It's my feeble attempt at humor in an otherwise darkened forum.

That's cool. I know David Robinson recently moved, but was interested if there was some truth to your statement.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Just don't forget 1999. There was a lock-out and then the Spurs won the championship.
That's what I'm hoping for...less games and some more off-season rest. I'm still holding out hope for a season, it's just too costly for both sides to not reach a deal.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
all I can say is that I would not miss it
but you have to admit there are people (not players) whose jobs depend on it--
both in the arenas, on the teams, and with the media
they won't get paid if there are no games
so for that reason alone I hope they reach accomodation

Old 08-08-2011, 08:06 AM

361 posts, read 924,826 times
There's too much to lose, and neither the players nor the owners like to lose money.

I suspect we'll have a shortened season like the last time.

Still, half the teams in the NBA are in the red and can no longer afford the bloated player salaries, so players are gonna have to make concessions, which they don't want to do......

Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Let's keep the scope of this thread confined to the Spurs and San Antonio. City-Data has a Basketball forum, where you can discuss league-wide implications of the strike, or there is also a mostly unmoderated board at spurstalk.com for folks who want to dig into the details of the Spurs.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 AM

108 posts, read 241,462 times
The NBA has lost more money than then NFL in revenue therefore it would be harder for both sides to agree on a deal. The NBA elite are overpaid and don't have the same solidarity as the NFL so why should Kobe, Lebron,Wade,etc. care as long as they are the highest paid players. Several NBA teams have left to other cities because of the lack of financial support. New Orleans Hornets are owned by the NBA not the city of New Orleans,Sacramento was in the process of moving to L.A.,Oaklahoma recently moved from Seattle. The deck was already being shuffled so the NBA owners knew that this day was coming that is why Phil Jackson announced his retirement now. There was talk about the NBA coming back with less teams and lowering the salary cap eventually splitting up the big three in Miami or making them pay a heavy luxury tax fine. The NBA like the NFL hoped to line their pockets with luxury box suites sales from corporate investors unfortunately the average fan was still paying high prices because of exaggerated salaries. Most fans didn't care about the NFL lockout since it doesn't really affect us one way or the other,people care even less about the NBA.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 PM

8 posts, read 18,514 times
The Spurs wont be affected at all, remember they are back-ups to the WNBA Silver Stars. Basketball is for girls.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
......as seven Spurs' players homes "quietly hit the market..."
URL/facts please? I'm interested in reading about these seven Spurs......

David Robinson's home was covered on all the local media channels, so not new news........

Last edited by plwhit; 08-09-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio