Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:51 AM

21 posts, read 37,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Although this will sound mean I don't mean it that way but.... I wonder how many of the Folks who attend the Dallas Cowboy's Practice Sessions would be able to afford a Game Ticket???? This may be as good as it gets for many San Antonioans.
That's quite a relevant question. How quickly we want a wealthy Texas plutocrat to deliver an NFL team, yet quicker still will people talk about how "a working family can't afford to go to games anymore".......

There is a bit of a reinforcing cycle at work here. From an investment standpoint, the only saving grace of a potentially $2 billion dollar investment in an NFL team in San Antonio (team cost + stadium + cost of transitioning) is access to the NFL's revenue sharing model. San Antonio does not have the wealth, population, corporate presence or rabid interest to generate adequate stadium revenue to make it a worthwhile $2B investment. Sorry, it doesn't. Nor does Jacksonville, and Buffalo is on that bubble as well. It is an income thing in that regard - too little of it to push into a franchise and deliver quality returns.

Which leads to the other part of the circle - why would other NFL owners want to dillute their earnings pool by having to share revenues with a franchise that doesn't contribute? What kind of ratings do you think a San Antonio team will pull in Texas or nationwide? Do you honestly think that fans in Austin will jump on a medicore transplant, or will they focus their Nielsen attention on the Cowboys and Longhorns? Do you think that a San Antonio franchise would sell lots of licensed merchandise and help the NFL brand? Will a San Antonio franchise so outperform a Jacksonville or Buffalo franchise that it brings a significant increase in cash to the league?

Jerry Jones' backyard aside, the larger NFL sees an opportunity to move a small market tram into a large market - LA. Shifting teams among small markets is disruptive and stupid, and shifting from a large to a small market is dillutive to earnings (and insane). I imagine more than one NFL owner would have qualms about that. The ONLY way you could potentially land an NFL franchise is to provide a first rate stadium and a huge cash payment - basically tossing a free $1+ Billion to an owner. That is something that San Antonio could never afford (especially in this death spiral economy marked by government debt). This happened a bit in the 1990s, and San Antonio missed both the relocation and expansion train by miles.

So oddly enough, your article is conclusive - San Antonio does not have the income base to have an NFL team. I'm afraid the NFL table was set a decade ago, and San Antonio will remain a relatively poorer metro area and the Cowboys #3 TV market. Stomping your feet and declaring it unfair does not change reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 01:33 PM

487 posts, read 991,936 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Someone mentioned that San Antonio is nothing like Dallas and Houston. Well, it's not that big, for sure, but in terms of mentality and culture, I don't find them so different. Both have massive numbers of uneducated, poor population. Same with New York, same with Boston, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Miami, Seattle, etc. All cities in this country, and pretty much all countries in the planet have issues with poverty and education.

On the other hand, San Antonio has a lot of things to offer. Hey, if I lived in Austin (which some people here make it sound like Utopia) I would be very jelous about Fiesta Texas or Sea World, or the River Walk, or the water parks so close. I'm sure many people in Dallas would kill for our Hill Country or just our more interesting hilly landscape, or our easy access to the beach (yes, even to Corpus). We may not have a lot of big corporations based here, but there are many more opportunities for smaller, local businesses to flourish. I had never seen in Texas so many organic farms as in Central Texas.

So, bottom line, we may not be the largest, richest, slimmest or most educated city in the country, but we are not too bad, and at least moving in the right direction (unlike many other).

/end of rant
// 2 years in San Antonio and loving it

Last edited by Bo; 08-11-2011 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: orphaned - th e post you replied to was deleted

Old 08-11-2011, 02:28 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
And many locals consider that a “good living.” I guess that is good living in a 3rd world country.
Me and the wife both make in that range and are living comfy

Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
SA is not a 3rd world country.

While that is not a lot of money, it is easier to get by on that amount in SA because the COL is much lower and there is nothing wrong with that.

Would you be happier if this was like California where we would have to make insane amount of money just to afford a small shack?

Get over yourself and move to a city that has an IKEA so you would be happier.
lmao

IKEA is coming here

Old 08-11-2011, 02:58 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Whoever says SA cant support NFL needs a good slap in the face, and I will gladly administer it.
Maybe so but are SA taxpayers willing to finance a stadium, especially after all of the state cuts this year?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:39 PM

65 posts, read 136,204 times
which city/fan base do you suggest we victimize to bring a team to san antonio?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:01 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcferguson View Post
which city/fan base do you suggest we victimize to bring a team to san antonio?
At this point the Vikings and Chargers seem like likely candidates to be relocated somewhere. I'm especially watching the Minnesota situation. They may or may not be having another special session in their legislature in the Fall. This special session, if there is one, will finally determine if the Vikings will remain in Minnesota and get a new stadium. If the measure for funding fails for whatever reason the Vikings are as good as gone to Los Angeles or, maybe here.

Ditto with the Chargers. As of now the franchise has no new stadium plan to consider and there probably will not be one for awhile. Because of this San Diego could lose their NFL team. They may in fact move to Los Angeles or, they could move here. The same can be said for about three or four other franchises around the league.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:11 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

Someone mentioned that San Antonio is nothing like Dallas and Houston. Well, it's not that big, for sure, but in terms of mentality and culture, I don't find them so different.
Dallas and Houston are far more cosmopolitan with a "big-city" feel.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Dallas and Houston are far more cosmopolitan with a "big-city" feel.
Yeah I don't like those cities either!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Why do we need an NFL team in San Antonio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio