U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 08-10-2011, 06:52 AM
324 posts, read 1,166,735 times
Reputation: 162


My father just passed away, leaving my mother without much income, and he was behind on the bills. Are there any places you recommend in SA that might help with mortgage, electric, water and such?

I already tried the city - they say his income was too high and she will have to wait until next month for it to go off hers. By that time things will be getting shut off, which is what I"m trying to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 07:10 AM
6,999 posts, read 10,235,462 times
Reputation: 5381
Try calling 211. If you go to CAM, they'll give you a list of places to help with the electric bill. Once you get your electric bill down to a certain level, they'll pay off the rest. To save money on groceries, she should order food from Angel Food Ministries. She can choose to order her food through a participating church that's closes to her. She should also call the churches in her area.

Christian Assistance Ministry

Welcome - Angel Food Ministries

I found these two websites with a Google search.

Bexar County assistance programs | San Antonio
Low income assistance programs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,257 posts, read 8,985,070 times
Reputation: 6341
One thing....any unsecured debt (in his name only) is not "hers". She does not have a legal obligation to pay it. I would highly suggest she consult w/a GOOD attorney familiar with the issues before she pays anything or signs anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Location: Kallison Ranch, San Antonio,TX.
1,668 posts, read 3,351,360 times
Reputation: 720
Call SAWS and CPS concerning a payment plan with bills. As long as your reducing the balance then they'll work with you. If you are granted an extension always ask what the extension period is. In some cases you may have to request it every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:22 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top