U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 03:32 PM

10,391 posts, read 12,662,383 times

Advertisements

Has anyone driven to Lost Maples from San Antonio and NOT gone through the Bandera route?

I drove that way one time, going through Bandera and Medina. But I got pretty carsick due to all of the winding roads. But it does look like the most direct route I have to admit.

I read one option to drive through Comfort. But that looks a little out of the way, plus there is still a lot of winding roads after that point.

But I am considering a third option: Higway 90 going west out of SA. About 20 miles past Hondo it hits Sabinal. Then, I would turn north and drive through Utopia. The next town being Vanderpool (near the park). Since the roads on this route look fairly straight, I think it would be my best option. (I imagine people living in west-SA might possibly go this way also.)

I appreciate any info or route experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 03:36 PM

18 posts, read 43,317 times
Thats the route I've alays taken, roads are slightly windy but not too bad. I've never been by way of Bandera.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:36 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,286,853 times
I went the 90 route, but I live on the far west side. Once you get close to the park, the hills and curves do increase, but that's why you see a ton of motorcycles and sports car clubs out there. The day I went there were Ferraris, Lambos, and a buttload of Miatas. Of course I brought my daughter along, so we couldn't take the Miata we had at the time..

I need to go back there to see how much easier it is to make it up that trail now that there's only half of me to drag up. Last time I honestly thought I was going to die several times and only kept going because I'm so stubborn..

Old 08-10-2011, 03:43 PM

4,080 posts, read 6,082,254 times
I've been to Lost Maples several times and prefer the Hwy 90 route. It's not a bad drive and when you get close to the park there's alot of hills and turns. Very pretty though.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:31 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,099,756 times
If you're near Lost Maples and like motorcycles and/or Australian food, then I highly recommend stopping at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum just south of the park (36517 Hwy 187 North in Vanderpool, (830) 966-6103, open Fri-Sun 10am-5pm). It's a great place to spend an hour or so eating and looking at all the great bikes they have on display. The owner and his wife are the nicest folks you could meet...

Old 08-10-2011, 06:42 PM

10,391 posts, read 12,662,383 times
Yes, the last 5 miles after Vanderpool are winding. I don't mind that. But if you take the Bandera/Medina route there are about 50 miles of windy roads. Ugh. I live near the airport and the route through 90 is about 9 miles further. But that's no problem for me. And without all the curves it will probably seem even that much shorter.

Thanks for the tips and sightseeing suggestions.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,353,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Has anyone driven to Lost Maples from San Antonio and NOT gone through the Bandera route?

I drove that way one time, going through Bandera and Medina. But I got pretty carsick due to all of the winding roads. But it does look like the most direct route I have to admit.

I read one option to drive through Comfort. But that looks a little out of the way, plus there is still a lot of winding roads after that point.

But I am considering a third option: Higway 90 going west out of SA. About 20 miles past Hondo it hits Sabinal. Then, I would turn north and drive through Utopia. The next town being Vanderpool (near the park). Since the roads on this route look fairly straight, I think it would be my best option. (I imagine people living in west-SA might possibly go this way also.)

I appreciate any info or route experiences.
We drove to Lost Maples via the I-10/Comfort route and returned via Bandera/Medina. The Comfort route was longer, tho true a bit less winding. I am very sensitive to car sickness but don't recall having a problem on the return trip.

I haven't driven all the way to Lost Maples via Utopia, but I went to another park on that route (Garner I think?). It's fairly direct, at least to Garner, but I'd think it'd be longer as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio