U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:45 PM

342 posts, read 415,363 times
Default No cans on the Comal?

I saw the NB city council voted for an ordinance that would eliminate all disposable containers on the Comal river but it said the enforcement had not begun yet. Anyone float this past weekend and see if this is true? We were going to float tomorrow and just wanted to know what to expect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 03:50 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,431,449 times
A mini-keg of beer and 5 miles of surgical tubing.....

Old 08-15-2011, 03:58 PM

875 posts, read 996,878 times
Why don't they just vote on a ordinance to ban tubing and get it over with? I mean, what sort of container isn't disposable? You're not allowed to have glass containers as it is, so what are you supposed to use?

Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 PM

74 posts, read 90,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SsnTktHldr View Post
I saw the NB city council voted for an ordinance that would eliminate all disposable containers on the Comal river but it said the enforcement had not begun yet. Anyone float this past weekend and see if this is true? We were going to float tomorrow and just wanted to know what to expect.

They said if it went through there would be a 10 day grace period before it would go into effect. Did they pass it? I haven't seen anything saying they have passed it yet. They haven't posted any changes to the rules on the New Braunfels website yet so maybe your safe for a few more days.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:27 PM

8,632 posts, read 6,784,280 times
This will turn out as another case in which a select group of imbeciles ruin it for everyone else.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:37 PM

3,970 posts, read 4,223,348 times
That's about what it amounts to. The assinine behaviour of the idiots that seem to think it's their right to go onto the river, get wasted an' toss their empty cans into the river, urinate alongside on private property, and generally make jerks of themselves have finally gotten the NB citizenry ticked off enough to demand action.
Personally, I'd prefer to see them just make examples out of a couple of 'em and leave the (mostly) well-behaved rest of the tourists alone, but doesn't look like that's gonna happen. You wouldn't believe the trash - both literally and figuratively - that is in the river nowadays. And as usual, it's the few that mess it up for the many.
The city council has to vote on the new ordinance a second time, and there is a groundswell of opposition to it, but I'm afraid that it's got "legs" this time around, which is a shame.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 13 hours ago)

20,728 posts, read 21,583,580 times
New Braunfels city council is scheduled to vote this evening on an ordinance that would change the face of Guadalupe and Comal River tubing as we know it, by banning all disposable containers on those popular waterways within city limits. The same body already voted 5-2 in favor of the beer-can ban earlier this month. The vote has been moved from city hall to the city convention center to accommodate expected crowds.
I am sure that retailers are scratching their heads over what devices tubers might employ — the proposed ordinance doesn’t specify.
A Thermos or canteen wouldn’t keep carbonated beverages fresh on an hours-long float, and you’d have to have a nondisposable cup . . . Another potential problem is that any beverage delivery device that’s not sealed would be, strictly speaking, a violation of the state open container law.

Something needs to be done. Would you like to take your family to a river that looks like that?:

Trashing Texas – Is any place worse than the Comal River? Let’s have a contest to see! | Outdoors | a Chron.com blog

New Braunfels' proposed ban on disposable containers on river could bog down

Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,335,654 times
i saw the footage of the ridiculous amount of trash on the bottom of the river. I have no desire to swim there after seeing that and am all for the ban.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:10 PM

519 posts, read 601,739 times
if san antonio has taught me anything (about how some people think) it's that /any/ container is a /disposable/ container to some.

i'm wondering why folks can't wait an hour to have a beer? (i've never been tubing on a river, those pictures are disgusting!)

Old 08-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 13 hours ago)

20,728 posts, read 21,583,580 times
... and I wonder why people can't threw trash in a designed containers ( trash cans ). Why is so much litter everywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio