U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 5,591 times

Advertisements

So, i have not dug through the archives yet; I attribute that to laziness. I am looking at a pretty nice job opportunity in San Antonio and need some very general advice. I figure i could do the research on it, but why not just go straight to the source. Thanks in advance for all the help and looking forward to hopefully calling myself a san antonian one day as well.

1. Weather - I know its hot in the summer, what about fall and winter?

2. Downtown - How is downtown? clean? lots of things to do?

3. Surrounding areas - A lot of suburbs? clean?

4. (Most importantly) Dining! - How is the dining experience in SA? Alot of restaurants?

5. Recreation - What kind of things to do on weekends? Outdoor activities?

6. terrain - Is it flat, rolling hills, etc...

Thank you so much everybody!!

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 AM

i should also say, i am a 25 year old male

Old 08-17-2011, 12:06 PM

haha ok sounds great!! i would really appreciate it

Old 08-17-2011, 12:21 PM

392 posts, read 623,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboknows View Post
So, i have not dug through the archives yet; I attribute that to laziness. I am looking at a pretty nice job opportunity in San Antonio and need some very general advice. I figure i could do the research on it, but why not just go straight to the source. Thanks in advance for all the help and looking forward to hopefully calling myself a san antonian one day as well.

4. (Most importantly) Dining! - How is the dining experience in SA? Alot of restaurants?

Jim
1. Weather is just cool, dry, and pleasant in fall and winter, with the occasional short cold spell.

2. Downtown is a huge tourist attraction, so it's got lots to do and is very clean. There are offices, condos, hotels, tons of restaurants, theaters, etc. all downtown to enjoy.

3. San Antonio has annexed just about everything, save for a few enclaves, so there aren't a whole lot of suburbs. The biggest one is New Braunfels, and it's a pretty convenient, friendly, clean place, though traffic into the city on IH-35 isn't pretty at all.

4. Upon first inspection, this being a very Hispanic city and near Mexico, you'd think San Antonio would only have a lot of Tex-Mex joints. However, I've found all sorts of Cajun, Italian, authentic Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese places, from cheap to really high-end. The BBQ in surrounding areas of Texas is awesome too.

5. One of the things that drew me here was the combination of "cultured" things a big city offers, with the outdoor opportunities. You can go to a nice art museum or to a theater one day, and then go down into a huge cave or go canoeing down a scenic river the next. The hiking opportunities are also great here.

6. The terrain varies considerably here. Downtown and to the south and east, things are pretty flat. However, the city lies along the Balcones Escarpment, so the more north and west you go, the hillier and steeper it gets as you climb into the Hill Country. Much of the city is rolling hills, but as you get outside of Loop 1604, you get big rock cliffs and canyons with scenic rivers running about (though they're dried up right now during this bad drought). The soil is very rocky and everything sits atop limestone, thus there are a TON of caves here, and you can see the limestone in all the cut out gorges or paths for roads. The ecosystem is more like a savannah here, so we have trees all over, but not really heavy, thick brush and such.

I'm glad I moved here, and am really having a blast. You couldn't ask for more friendly folks in this area either. Forget whatever FCF's Wife or firstclassflyer send you in a PM. They're bitter people that just like to troll on this board to try to convince people not to move to San Antonio. Sure, it probably isn't utopia and isn't the capital of the world, but it's been pretty good to me thus far, so by all means, come on down and enjoy if you have a good opportunity here.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:23 PM

311 posts, read 744,257 times
jimbo, SA is like most places - if you make up your mind to like it, you probably will. If you come out with a chip on your shoulder thinking where you are moving FROM is the only place suitable for you (like some other posters here) then you'll probably hate it.
My family & I moved here a little over 3 yrs. ago & we like a lot of things about S.A. There are things we would like to see change but that is true just about anywhere. You'll be just about as happy as you make up your mind to be

Old 08-17-2011, 12:33 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,888,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF's Wife View Post
I'll send you a DM regarding San Antonio, It ain't pretty. We know, we know,,,don't listen to her blah blah blah...
Oh noes! Now we have his wife here too?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 PM

4,140 posts, read 4,688,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboknows View Post

Jim
I've been here five years, having relocated from MA so I'll give it you you straight.

1. Yes we're in a huge drought here, and it's been 100 plus degrees going on two months now. You know what? My house, car and office are air conditioned. So, it's way better than an New England winter. Fall is like a New England summer, average Oct/Nov day highs in the 80s, November in the 70s. Winter is like a New England fall, average Han high in the 50s/60s. Sometimes there is a cold snap, with nighly lows in the 20s or lower, but itr doesn't last more than 2 - 3 days. We had a dusting of snow and ice one night last winter. Of course, the city doesn't invest in plows, sanders, etc. Why should they? It was melted by noon the next day.

2. I really don't venture downtown much unless I have a visitor from back home, so we go to the Riverwalk, Alamo, etc. Southtown, Monte Vista, and Tobin Hill (neighborhood bars just outside downtown) is where the local, funky artsy bars, and restaurants are.

3. Suburbs...interesting question. There are a lot of nice areas outside the city. SA, though, has a lot of small enclave towns within the city. Olmos Park, Shavano Park, Terrell Hills, Alamo Heights, and Hollywood Park all are nice, and are among the most affluent in the area (avoid Balcones Heights). True suburbs outside the city can be foung on the NE side along Route 35 (Schertz, Cibolo, etc).Most of these areas are VERY new and have grown very fast and are clean. The NW suburbs like Helotes and Boerne appear more rural, but personally would agree with me more than those enclave towns I mentioned (less attitude). Boerne (pronounced Burney) is at the gateway to the hill country.

4. There 's a wide range or restaurants to say the least. Too many to mention. Don't expect too much in the seafood, Chinese, or Italian department, though.

5. There is a small amount of parks in the area. Chances are you'll have to drive to get to them. It's no Austin. One thing that is frustrating is that there's not enough sidewalks in the area, and drivers are NOT pedestrian friendly at all. So you're better driving to get to a park to safely go for a run to avoid getting killed. SA is not a fitness friendly city.

6. The hillier terrain is on the north/northwest side. There are some beautiful and steep hills (The Hill Country) outside the city in that direction. The rest of the area is flat.

One last thing. Real estate p r ices are very cheap and there is no state income tax. HOWEVER, car and homeowner's insurance are VERY high compared to what I was used to. Most of all, despite the cheap real estate, county (not city) property taxes are EXTREMELY high. My townhome is assessed at just $100K, and I pay over $3K in property taxes.

Where are you coming from?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM

239 posts, read 386,979 times
Besides the heat in August its nice here. I love my city.......Just make sure to buy a shotgun......chupacabras run rampant here and steal your groceries when you are not looking....

Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 PM

guys thank you much for all the insight!! I have made up my mind that wherever i go, will be better than where i am at now! (even though greenville, SC is a beautiful place with lots of great things to do) i just like change. Its looking like it may be down to denver, san antonio, or somewhere overseas (longshot). so again, i really appreciate you guys going out of your way to help me out. i have heard many wonderful things about the city and this just reinforces that.

Thanks and God Bless!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:55 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,272,389 times
Sounds like you are maybe doing some military contracting? The job(s) you're looking at could also make a huge difference.

and my take on the restaurant question is.. yes, there are a lot of them, but most are either a chain, a taqueria, or they just flat-out suck. Unless you love eating unhealthy, then this is definitely the place for that. I ironically gained and lost the most weight of my life in this city..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio