Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
i guess you want the place to go out of business quick, or make sure they are closed by dark
Get out much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 AM

282 posts, read 472,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
*cough* Lavaca *cough*. Seriously though, it's the perfect type of store for Southtown/Downtown. Lavaca has the space for a new store, including parking. Location on Durango is accessible by foot for downtown/Southtown residents, and easily accessible via car for suburbanites, given its proximity to the highway. And no traffic nightmare. Win-Win for all!

One can dream.

Honestly, if it was located in Southtown, I'd shop there 2-3x per week. If it's in Stone Oak probably almost never, as I'm not a die hard fan. If it's in AH/Quarry area, I'd probably go there as often (or not) as Whole Foods (1x/2 months or so).
Lavaca is a great idea! Downtown would finally have a grocery store within walking distance. Not only that but it's unexpected. Most people probably think it's going in the Quarry or somewhere in the suburbs. Having it so close to downtown would be a surprise.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:23 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,586 times
Agree with &heart and Chaka. Perhaps HEB would be encouraged to build downtown once a "competitor" does it first? (Not that I'm all for HEB going in and doing their thing in Southtown, but it could help encourage residential growth...)

--Dim

Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Agree with &heart and Chaka. Perhaps HEB would be encouraged to build downtown once a "competitor" does it first? (Not that I'm all for HEB going in and doing their thing in Southtown, but it could help encourage residential growth...)

--Dim

The problem is that HEB (and the city) keep focusing on downtown proper and cite insufficient residents to support a store. Southtown, however, has more than enough residents to support a store on its own, and a location there is still convenient to downtown (walkable, bikeable). And, the community is ripe for a TJ-style store, much moreso than a mega HEB which is where HEB management has been going.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
Lavaca is a great idea! Downtown would finally have a grocery store within walking distance. Not only that but it's unexpected. Most people probably think it's going in the Quarry or somewhere in the suburbs. Having it so close to downtown would be a surprise.
And that location doesn't really have the parking or accessibility issues (one way streets/heavy traffic) that scares people away from downtown.

I doubt it'll happen, but I'd like to be proven wrong!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 AM

282 posts, read 472,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
And that location doesn't really have the parking or accessibility issues (one way streets/heavy traffic) that scares people away from downtown.

I doubt it'll happen, but I'd like to be proven wrong!
Very true. I hadn't really thought about that.

One can always hope!

Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,586 times
Agreed, Chaka. I guess (as a misguided suburbanite) I lump Southtown into Downtown...but I stand corrected in that what I mean is that TJ in Southtown area would be a great start towards getting the area out of the grocery wasteland.

--Dim

Old 02-01-2012, 03:17 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Thought y'all might be interested in
this thread and this post and this excerpt specifically from the Dallas Forum --
Quote:
I don't want to buy just now,as I could end up opening another TJ's location somewhere else in the state...Austin,Houston and San Antonio are all getting a TJ's within the next 18 months(10+ stores by the end of 2013 in Texas)
-- straight from the "horse's mouth", so to speak!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-01-2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstyet2be View Post
thought y'all might be interested in this thread and this post and this excerpt specifically from the dallas forum --
-- straight from the "horse's mouth", so to speak!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM

431 posts, read 765,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Get out much?
all the time. but i wouldn't let my wife go to that area at night by herself.

%12+ vacancy rate. and avg $330 per month. yah i'm really sure business's are just dyeing to get in that area

not to mention the crime rate

Last edited by theeddie; 02-01-2012 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio