U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2011, 10:48 PM

502 posts, read 492,121 times

Advertisements

Won't last. San Antonio will run em off in a few years. Heb owns all! Lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 PM

4,010 posts, read 4,522,171 times
Hopefully they'll stick it out. It IS good to get competition going again, it's been missing from this market for far too long.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 PM

31 posts, read 35,448 times
More options are always a good thing. I just wish some of those options were a little closer to me, but I guess that area around the Quarry makes good business sense for them. Happy to hear this though and hope it happens.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 AM

502 posts, read 492,121 times
I hate heb but there so big that if you want to compete your gonna need more than one store. And stuffing it on the ne side wont help, as only one type of shopper will shop there.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:15 AM

5,569 posts, read 9,609,847 times
According to the article, it's just a possibility. Nothing is set in stone. So, once again, nothing new there.

And, check out this gem from that same article:

"Although San Antonio is home to several grocery chains, there still remains a demand for Trader Joe's. On Facebook, a group named “San Antonio Needs a Trader Joe's” has nearly 150 members."

OH NOOOEESS!!! 150 MEMBERS?! That's a huge following!!!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 AM

189 posts, read 438,877 times
I don't think the Quarry is a great place- after all that area is populated by people who have lived in SA mostly forever, not people who have moved here from other places like California who really know what Trader Joe's is. I think they should target the "far north" up here north of 1604. Plus they have too many grocery store choices in the Quarry area, they probably wouldn't even care about TJ's. TJ's isn't upscale at all, it's for regular folks, unlike WF & CM.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:08 AM

3,735 posts, read 5,419,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Must be a lie - after all, we continually hear all the reasons that "upscale" places like TJ's will NEVER come to SA.....

But what the heck - always good to see another option of a place to shop, so they're welcome!
Funny to call TJ's upscale. Back in CA when I first started going there some, oh, 20 yrs ago, it was because it was cheap.

FWIW, TJ's stock varies, so I don't hold high hopes for what they'll supply in San Antonio. If you're looking for healthy, organic, fresh, probably not going to find it. Their big thing is packaged goodies. Of all the stores I went to in CA recently (about 4 in very different places), they were just not that worthwhile unless you're looking for imported goodies. Maybe a SA store will be different, but not likely.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:12 AM

519 posts, read 636,114 times
anything that's not a mega store like heb, walmart or torget is probably seen as upscale in san antonio, haha!

but i agree. if tjs is coming (or rather, if any alternative grocery competition is coming) spread it around sa for crying out loud and stop clumping up on the lower n/ne side.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 AM

422 posts, read 734,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
Won't last. San Antonio will run em off in a few years. Heb owns all! Lol
Had to laugh when Wal*Mart started their .10 cents off gas with a Wal*Mart card or gift card, then HEB went to .11 cents off and extended it an additional month.

Would be nice to have some other choices here in SA

Old 08-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,631 posts, read 21,561,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlorifiedMalcontent View Post
anything that's not a mega store like heb, walmart or torget is probably seen as upscale in san antonio, haha!

but i agree. if tjs is coming (or rather, if any alternative grocery competition is coming) spread it around sa for crying out loud and stop clumping up on the lower n/ne side.
Based on where they locate in other markets, I'll be surprised if we get more than two Trader Joe's. I'll predict they put a store at The Quarry and a store at The Rim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio