U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 01:57 PM

5,622 posts, read 6,405,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I agree. May have more of a draw if it were in a local neighborhood, but nothing worth an out of the way trek to shop.
Haters gonna hate. Some of us like Trader Joes, if you don't like it then go to HEB instead. I like having choices and believe me...TJ does offer items that you can not find at HEB or Wal-Mart.

To me, it is worth the occasional trip to AH to visit TJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Haters gonna hate. Some of us like Trader Joes, if you don't like it then go to HEB instead. I like having choices and believe me...TJ does offer items that you can not find at HEB or Wal-Mart.

Yup. It's just nice to have more CHOICE in the city. TJs isn't everyone's bag- and that's fine- but it's still good to have variety. We can't all be expected to love HEB or WalMart.

BN

Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,820,500 times
Quote:

Nobody was hating, just not getting what all hype was about. Sort of like a Lidl or Aldi in Europe.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM

155 posts, read 244,378 times
Quote:

Agreed. It's not going to be my usual grocer, but I'll visit occasionally for specialty items. Also, the Charles Shaw Cabernet is about a million times more palatable than the HEB brand Cul-de-Sac Cabernet. Blech.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Nobody was hating, just not getting what all hype was about. Sort of like a Lidl or Aldi in Europe.

If you'd ever lived where there was a TJ's, you'd understand

Aldi may seem like a similar phenomenon, but IME, it's not really. Aldi is more about being cheap and TJ about being specialty. That's simplifying a bit, but close.

I used to shop at TJs in the late 80s/early 90s. Haven't been regularly since, and the few times I have have not been that excited since we don't do that much processed food. But I'm thrilled it's here. And I'll be double thrilled if it comes to my neighborhood. BN - you created a monster. All of Southtown is going n about the possibility.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,789 times
Aldis is kinda icky....imo

Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Aldis is kinda icky....imo

Aldi in Europe is about a 1000 orders of magnitude better than Aldi in the US (and I liked Aldi in the US for it's low prices). And so the comparison to TJ is not *that * far off if you're talking the European Aldi, but it's still different....

Old 11-14-2012, 05:34 AM

759 posts, read 3,384,361 times
So far, I am very impressed with my wine purchases from TJ. And cookie butter. I bought strawberries last Tuesday. By Friday 2 were moldy. I had to throw the container out yesterday with about 4 left. I was slightly bummed. My strawberries from HEB seem to last a little more than a week. So the produce didn't cut it for me.
I have also heard good things about their cereal. I'm a die hard Kashi Go Lean fan and would love to know which one from TJ is comparable.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:13 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,820,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
If you'd ever lived where there was a TJ's, you'd understand

Aldi may seem like a similar phenomenon, but IME, it's not really. Aldi is more about being cheap and TJ about being specialty. That's simplifying a bit, but close.

I used to shop at TJs in the late 80s/early 90s. Haven't been regularly since, and the few times I have have not been that excited since we don't do that much processed food. But I'm thrilled it's here. And I'll be double thrilled if it comes to my neighborhood. BN - you created a monster. All of Southtown is going n about the possibility.
There were TJs in Alexandria, VA and I lived there for a couple of years, still don't get it.

Also, as stated by Chaka, Aldi in Europe is an entirely different concept than the stores here in the US. Not to burst anyone's bubble, but Trader Joe's is actually owned by a trust held by the family that owns the Aldi chain, thus the similarities to the European Aldi stores.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:33 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,339,010 times
Default Trader Joe's "Find of the Week"

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

My Trader Joe's "Find of the Week"...is NOT anything you can buy there...but one of the most helpful folks I have ever come across in my wine buying experience! "Miss April" in their wine section is a DREAM!!! I was looking to try some of the new types I am finding at TJ's, and was able to tell her what kinds of reds we like...and she made several recommendations based on our tastes. To date, everyone she recommended was EXCEPTIONAL!!!

Cheapest was $5.99, most expensive I got was $19.99 but all were EXCELLENT!!! If you are trying to figure out what to get (other than the 2 buck chuck), search out Ms April and get the lowdown on what you might like after she figures out your wine palate!

Everyone enjoy a NICE wine with their Turkey and Ham today!!! Blessing to all our SA Forum friends!!!!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-22-2012 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: new thread merged w/existing TJ thread - please post all future TJ posts in this one main thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or