U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-25-2013, 06:34 PM
 
5,635 posts, read 13,982,312 times
Reputation: 2731

Advertisements

It's like Sprouts. Good prices, great foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Reputation: 13617
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Okay so I still don't know the answer to this because I still have not actually BEEN to Trader Joe's.

Is it like Central Market and/or Whole Foods and/or Sprouts? Or like a regular grocery? Is it a "discount" store or a cheaper option for fancier stuff?

I really just need to go, and I am not that far from the Quarry, but I forget.
It's smaller than Central Market, WF and Sprouts. Of the three, it's most like Central Market, in that it's less focused on organic food than the other two. But the prices are better than Central Market. The focus at Trader Joe's is more on canned, packaged and frozen food than on fresh food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,386,728 times
Reputation: 18712
TJ'S has a MUCH more deversified stock of items because a lot if it rotates as "seasonal", prices are a FRACTION of CM and Sprouts, and it has such a WONDERFUL variety of foods/offerings for the price.

I shop there once a week now...HEB is REALLY feeling the pain because I only shop there when neeed now.....and TJ's brand items are AWESOME!!!

jUST fyi...i FOUND TWO FANTASTIC BOOKS ON AMAZON or those so inclined....the
"I heart trader joe's cookbook" and the "I heart trader joes party cookbook"....AWESOME FINDS WITH FANTASTIC RECIPES FOR SURE!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,579,829 times
Reputation: 4024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It's smaller than Central Market, WF and Sprouts. Of the three, it's most like Central Market, in that it's less focused on organic food than the other two. But the prices are better than Central Market. The focus at Trader Joe's is more on canned, packaged and frozen food than on fresh food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
TJ'S has a MUCH more deversified stock of items because a lot if it rotates as "seasonal", prices are a FRACTION of CM and Sprouts, and it has such a WONDERFUL variety of foods/offerings for the price.

I shop there once a week now...HEB is REALLY feeling the pain because I only shop there when neeed now.....and TJ's brand items are AWESOME!!!

jUST fyi...i FOUND TWO FANTASTIC BOOKS ON AMAZON or those so inclined....the
"I heart trader joe's cookbook" and the "I heart trader joes party cookbook"....AWESOME FINDS WITH FANTASTIC RECIPES FOR SURE!!!!!

Thanks to you both, I will definitely get my butt over there next time I need to shop which should be in a few days. I hear it is crowded often...? I can go weekdays during work hours if anyone knows if that is better.

A friend of ours was so excited when she heard TJ's was coming to SA, she'd been living in Oregon for years and loved it up there, but I don't think she's been either since it opened here! Maybe I will ask her to accompany me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,386,728 times
Reputation: 18712
Weekends get crowded for sure, I have not been after work...too much traffic for me to wanna deal with, but I LOVE going early in the morning during the week...fully stocked, maybe a few others in the store, no wait to check out. They open early, I think 8am...I normally go around 9:30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Reputation: 13617
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Thanks to you both, I will definitely get my butt over there next time I need to shop which should be in a few days. I hear it is crowded often...? I can go weekdays during work hours if anyone knows if that is better.
Weekdays are less crowded than weekends. I have been there 3x and have yet to go at a time when the smallish parking lot right in front of the store wasn't full. (Haven't made it there as early in the AM as Paka, though. ) That makes it seem crowded, but it doesn't really hinder shopping. I just park in the parking garage and walk a bit farther.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 01:19 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,386,728 times
Reputation: 18712
Honestly, by going that early, I normally park right in the front. There are several handicapped parking slots facing into the building, but several are open general parking as well. Yes, that parking garage IS nice, especially if you want to pull thru to leave vs go into the parking area of TJ's once you are done to get out of there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX - Displaced Michigander
2,067 posts, read 5,322,119 times
Reputation: 824
My personal TJ's hits and misses:

Misses:
BBQ potato chips - stiff cardboard with BBQ seasoning
Chicken fried rice - tasteless

Hits:
Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce - I always have a couple jars on hand.
3 pack milk chocolate bars - As good as any chocolate bar I had in Belgium or the Netherlands.
White cheddar popcorn - probably the best I have ever had and I've tried a lot of brands.
Maple Pecan Granola (and I am not a big cereal person)
Multigrain bread - I have been known to just eat it with butter for supper. It's that good. (Hey, I'm single, I don't always want to cook!)
Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner. Strangely though, they have only had both in stock once when I have stopped by. Usually they have one or the other.

Last edited by Rapunzll; 01-26-2013 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,579,829 times
Reputation: 4024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
My personal TJ's hits and misses:

Misses:
BBQ potato chips - stiff cardboard with BBQ seasoning
Chicken fried rice - tasteless

Hits:
Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce - I always have a couple jars on hand.
3 pack milk chocolate bars - As good as any chocolate bar I had in Belgium or the Netherlands.
White cheddar popcorn - probably the best I have ever had and I've tried a lot of brands.
Maple Pecan Granola (and I am not a big cereal person)
Multigrain bread - I have been known to just eat it with butter for supper. It's that good. (Hey, I'm single, I don't always want to cook!)
Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner. Strangely though, they have only had both in stock once when I have stopped by. Usually they have one or the other.

I am a granola freak so I will have to try that. And pecans! Yum!

OK so we went today. Well I didn't go in, because I have the flu and I feel like poo, but my spouse went in, scoped it all out, then came back with a "report".

We were there around 4:45 and there was plenty of parking, not too crowded. We will definitely be going back when I feel better but my impression (based on what we got) was that it can be really good, or dangerously bad. By that, I mean, there are some good deals but lots of splurge-y things that we will have to exercise willpower to not purchase regularly.

A 4 pound bag of pink lady apples was $3.49 and I know that is less than I paid recently at HEB. Today we got mostly unnecessary things, cookie butter, some chocolate bars, some frozen convenience stuff (orange chicken and french onion soup), and my other half was very happy about a bag of teriyaki beef jerky that is all natural, no nitrates, no artificial hormones, etc., for the same price as a bag of whatever the popular brand is at HEB.

Anyway we'll be back for more serious/frugal shopping I am sure. The chicken tenders were a good price too, cheaper than HEB.

I don't know what exactly to do with the cookie butter aside from the very awful and indulgent eating it off of a spoon. Pretzels? Waffles? I don't know yet but that stuff is crack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 10:56 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,386,728 times
Reputation: 18712
Hope you are feeling better soon and CONGRATS on FINALLY realizing what is so very AMAZING about TJ's. I like to get their premade items for my honey for work...we usually share one for work lunch, which means we eat lunch at work for less than $3 each and it is GOOD and NOT "junk" food!!! Also great for wines.... best prices and selection in town for the price...and teas/coffees/vitimins and LOVE their cheese selection!!!!

Can't wait for your first post IN the store now that you know we are serious about it being a great place to shop...PLEASE let us know what you think when you are better...and sure hope that is SOOONNNNNNN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top