U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 PM

172 posts, read 202,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Overrated, Trendy, Hipster
Thats what I would use if I was describing Central Market or Whole Paycheck. I do love Sprouts though as an alternative to TJ's when I can't get down to the Quarry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,200,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMorris82 View Post
Whoever decided to pick that location for Trader Joe's should be shot. Parking is a nightmare at all of them in So Cal and you pick a tiny parking lot in a shopping center? Plenty of places up 281 inside 1604 that it could have been put with a much larger parking lot.
Demographics and centralness were probably the key factors that led to the selection of that location. Honestly, I'd rather navigate that parking lot and the adjacent garages than the lot at The Quarry across the street. That Quarry lot is easily one of my least favorite parking lots in the whole city, due to sightlines, awkward angles, shortcutters and careless pedestrians.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,568,672 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about parking in the complex or where the apartments, its just a silly parking lot they did build, with tiny spaces. I've only been there twice and love TJ's, just wish they would have made the TJ's bigger and gotten rid of their little parking lot so people would use the structure. However, taking a shopping cart full of groceries into the structure seems like a bit of an effort, havent had the need, but I can see a lot of people complaining about that.
I would agree with the size issue. Been twice now and both times I was able to find a space, no problem, but they do seem small. I don't drive a huge car.. it's an older Honda Odyssey which is more like a big car than a minivan really, as far as minivans go. I have found it to be a tight squeeze both times.

Quote:
Thats what I would use if I was describing Central Market or Whole Paycheck. I do love Sprouts though as an alternative to TJ's when I can't get down to the Quarry.
I think I would benefit more from regular shopping at Sprouts but I still like TJ's so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Hope you are feeling better soon and CONGRATS on FINALLY realizing what is so very AMAZING about TJ's. I like to get their premade items for my honey for work...we usually share one for work lunch, which means we eat lunch at work for less than $3 each and it is GOOD and NOT "junk" food!!! Also great for wines.... best prices and selection in town for the price...and teas/coffees/vitimins and LOVE their cheese selection!!!!

Can't wait for your first post IN the store now that you know we are serious about it being a great place to shop...PLEASE let us know what you think when you are better...and sure hope that is SOOONNNNNNN!
Okay, I know y'all have been losing sleep waiting for my visit report!

I felt better and we all went. By all, I mean all five of us (2 adults, a manchild, teenaged son, and our 10 year old). So we went after school on a weekday and it was definitely more crowded. It wasn't hard to park but inside was kinda cramped. I am a bit crowd-phobic so it was a little much for my taste, but the kids wanted to go so that's why we went at that time. Won't do that again, definitely restricting trips to daytime "work" hours.

We tried to be more responsible $ this time around so no chocolate or beef jerky. We did buy cheddar cheese with chocolate bits in it just because it was so weird, but no one liked it. Good thing we only bought a small chunk!

They didn't have our apples in a bag and individually they were a bit high I thought (not organic, just pink lady apples) so we didn't buy those. It kind of annoys me that they (as well as other things from what I saw in the produce section) aren't sold by the pound because I am used to knowing prices for produce by the pound They had a good deal on mandarins in a bag and organic avocados were just $.50 more than non-organic, so we got the mandarins and avocados. Oh, and a mixed variety 3lb bag of pears for $2.99.

They did not have the coffee we'd bought last time (TJ's peaberry) and we didn't see a space for it. We bought a different variety though (TJs also) and it's good too. Probably a $1 less than what we buy at HEB (whole bean) but much better flavor.

We went a little crazy in the cereal aisle with the granola. Picked up four or five different kinds, I have no comment on any of the others yet because I immediately became hooked on the pecan one and hid it away from the kids. So they'd have to be asked for opinions on the others. I noticed the granola is a bit more expensive but maybe fifty cents a box more, and that's okay because the selection at my normal HEB is awful. Only 2 varieties!

We bought more frozen chicken tenders. About ten cents per pound cheaper than HEB and we like the tenders vs the breasts. And we bought more cookie butter. This is going to be a problem. I discovered the other night that it is good with saltines even... because it was late and I was feeling snacky and happened to have a half eaten pack of saltines and the cookie butter in the room with me. Uh-oh. The 15 year old was eating it with Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream the other day -- a bit of cookie butter on a spoon followed by some ice cream on the same spoon. Good thing he could stand to put on a few pounds!

We bought some little banana bread loaf with almonds all over it and it seemed like it'd be super moist but it was pretty dry and awful.

Oh, first trip we had a 2 pack of frozen French onion soup and it was good, but again too much $ for the amount (and the frugal shopper in me keeps thinking of how much soup you could make with real onions for that money!)

Other things we didn't like so much: the orange chicken (frozen) and another one they sell, sesame maybe or sweet & sour? Can't remember now... anyway we didn't care for either of these. A shame because the price is right. Also, we tried some crab/cream cheese rangoons (I am always looking for these in the frozen section of stores, hard to find, I get excited when I find them) and no one liked those either, they tasted really fishy.

So that's how the second trip (well, 1st for me and the kids) went. I think I felt a little rushed/crowded because my kids kind of annoy me when I am shopping (they talk while I try and think), and the increase in people, I felt like I was always in someone's way when I was trying to look more closely at products.
So another trip during the day would be better.

Overall I don't think we'll be weekly shoppers because while there are some things that are really good, I probably can't justify the extra expense since we tend to cook mostly from scratch and when it comes to convenience foods, HEB has cheaper options, truthfully. I do see us stocking up maybe 1 or 2x a month, getting coffee, granola, checking out produce sales, some frozen chicken and of course, the now mandatory cookie butter! We'd be going mainly for the coffee and granola though and just picking up the other things incidentally or if there was an awesome deal.

I was hoping they had a bulk section.. we'll go to Sprouts for that I guess. I think TJ's has some good stuff but it doesn't quite fit into our budget for the most part. A lot of the things that looked REALLY good were things that I though "OMG not paying that!"

We are liking the coffee though. It seems a lot better than what we'd been buying. Or maybe it was just that we'd all been sick and just starting getting our "full" taste buds back when we tried it? Either way it's a keeper. And the can of beans is easier to open than the vacuum seal foil packs and it is a good quantity for us with the amount we drink around here.

Also next time I will go with a list of prices I am used to paying at HEB, so I KNOW. I thought I knew what I normally paid but when I was in there I realized I really didn't know the HEB prices like I thought.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,200,060 times
At Trader Joe's today, I overheard an employee telling a customer that the company's master plan is to open 3 stores here, but that they won't open the second store until they get stores going in Dallas, Austin and Houston.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:22 PM

11,941 posts, read 12,827,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
At Trader Joe's today, I overheard an employee telling a customer that the company's master plan is to open 3 stores here, but that they won't open the second store until they get stores going in Dallas, Austin and Houston.
Wish they would open one at Alamo Ranch.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:23 PM

266 posts, read 495,166 times
Great report Sally. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:28 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,568,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getgoing2010 View Post
Great report Sally. Thanks.
You're welcome. As I predicted, it's looking like a once a month stop at TJ's for cookie butter, coffee, chicken tenders, and granola.

The coffee continues to impress. I am learning exactly how much I need to buy of X to keep it to a once a month thing.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:45 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,373,108 times
Twice a month for us, but then just the two of us the majority of the time, and two fridge/freezers to stock and use.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,433,679 times
Tried their chocolate croissants last weekend. These are the kind that come frozen, you leave them out overnight to defrost/proof, then pop them in the oven in the am. Que magnifique!

Family loved them so much I went back Sunday and bought all 3 varieties (plain, almond and chocolate). Yum.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:54 PM

810 posts, read 1,249,187 times
I propose putting 2 more in town. One in the Stone Oak area and the other by the Rim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or